Quantcast
Which signing is your biggest letdown - Page 5 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bjornebye

Which signing is your biggest letdown

Being part of a Liverpool 1. eleven. You expect people to be able to do something, even though they're unknown or regarded as poor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had absolutely no expectations that Koncheskey would be a good player, and he absolutely met my expectations. So in a round about way, Koncheskey was a success at Liverpool?

• Upvote 1

Harry Kewell for me as well. I remember seeing him for Australia against England and he had Ashley Cole on toast, Cole shat himself. I remember thinking he'd be a great signing.

He was a pussy

Gonzales was a strange one. He was refused a work permit, on the grounds that he wasn't of sufficiently outstanding quality. This place went nuts with people ranting about non-football-experts overriding the judgement of our professional scouts. Then he got the WP, and it turned out that he wasn't of sufficiently outstanding quality.

• Upvote 1

I remember watching a tv montage of Cisse's Auxerre goals one night when we'd just been linked to him. He scored every type of goal for them and I thought at the time we were signing a superstar. One of the volleys he hit where he watched the ball drift on to his foot and battered it across goal was unreal.

I think the hit to his confidence of not making it here, plus the injuries, meant he never played like his Auxerre days again.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I had absolutely no expectations that Koncheskey would be a good player, and he absolutely met my expectations. So in a round about way, Koncheskey was a success at Liverpool?

I thought Downing would be a waste of money and he was a waste of money. Ergo, Downing was ace.

Gonzales was a strange one. He was refused a work permit, on the grounds that he wasn't of sufficiently outstanding quality. This place went nuts with people ranting about non-football-experts overriding the judgement of our professional scouts. Then he got the WP, and it turned out that he wasn't of sufficiently outstanding quality.

in fairness he was absolutely quality when we loaned him to Sociedad whilst waiting for the work permit, never seen someone hit so many crosses out for goal kicks as when he was here though

Karl Heinz Reidle

I had watched him play for Germany and a few times on TV and was really impressed by him but it just did not happen

Carroll and Cisse as well stand out .

Cisse for me, we were linked to him for ages, his scoring ratio in France was impressive but although he got a goal on his first day of the season it never happened.

Obviously the injuries didn't help but I thought he'd be a success for seasons to come.

His attitude the away against the mancs in his final season was shocking. Just stayed on the half way line moaning.

Karl Heinz Reidle

I had watched him play for Germany and a few times on TV and was really impressed by him but it just did not happen

Carroll and Cisse as well stand out .

He was 32 or 33 when we signed him, wtf were you expecting? oh and owen had just burst on the scene. 

Not everyone, his mum thought he was Roberto Carlos.

Ironically Hodgson didn't rate Carlos, but did rate Konchesky.

What an absolute mong.

• Upvote 3

Does anybody remember Cisse in that cup semi final v Chelsea at Old Trafford? They'd pulled one back through Drogba and were really starting to turn the screw with about 15 mins still to play. Rafa goes and throws Cisse on with the obvious aim of harrying their back four to stop them building from the back. Only Djibs decides he doesn't fancy breaking into a sweat and watches Terry and Carvalho morph into Beckenbauer and Baresi as each take it into turns to waltz the ball into the heart of our midfield. In the end, Morientes had to come on to show him how it was done and I still don't think I've seen anything slower than him going at full pelt.

Christ, I remember doing my nut with him that day.

Degen. I used to actually get scared when he played and the ball was near him.

Were you expecting the new Cafu when you heard we were signing Degen?

• Upvote 1

Nope, just someone who actually looked like he was a footballer. I don't know if it was nerves that made him so bad/worse than usual, etc, but it was unsettling to watch.

Sorry you're right, didn't read the thread title properly. Post would've been better in a/the worst player you've seen in a red shirt thread or something. Maybe it's the bit of a hangover I have, or because I'm a mentalist, or both.

Dont get the Dean Saunders hate. He scored goals for us but lacked a partner for me. There have been much worse signings than him and quite a few in the same squad he was part of. Piechnik,Kozma,Stewart for a start.