You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which signing is your biggest letdown

Bjornebye

Yeah it's hard to top Collymore. Was massively excited when he joined but apart from some flashes he was a major let down. 

I thought Litmanen was ace on the odd occasions he played for us. One of the big mysteries of the Houllier era for me, why he didn't appreciate the talents of Litmanen.

Forget how much we paid or obviously Carroll stands out.

For me it is Babel. I remember watching him for holland u21's in the European championships when arsenal were linked with him wondering why we cant sign someone like that. He was class all tournament.

We signed him, i was expecting him to be as good as henry.

Fuck me what a letdown

I was really excited about him too.

scored one of the best goals I ve ever seen though. away to lyon, 30-40 yard screamer into the top corner.

I thought Collymore actually did well independent of any sillyness off the field, him & fowler up front, I imagine both his goals and assists average is high

Paul Ince was dissapointing because back then in simpler times i remember it was said literally all we needed to win the league was a 'hardman' midfielder, so why didn't you win us the league then Paul? He'd say because it was the defence & goalkeeper that were shite and he would be right

Perhaps I missed the irony in what Danny Kelly initially said. It's certainly not beyond my talents.

PS Ziege and Kewell are both fair shouts. I did consider mentioning Downing but after much soulsearching I decided he was better described not so much of a terrible disappointment than a 'total' shithouse. As disappointing or shit as they may have been, I can't remember any others that you could accurately describe as 'cowardly'.

I was really excited about him too.

scored one of the best goals I ve ever seen though. away to lyon, 30-40 yard screamer into the top corner.

Yeah that was about two minutes either before or after that he took a shot from a similar distance that went out for a throw in!

Yeah that was about two minutes either before or after that he took a shot from a similar distance that went out for a throw in!

I think the wayward shot was afterwards as I reckon he only attempted because he thought he could do anything after scoring such a great goal a few minutes earlier.

Ziege is also a good shout. We went through all sorts of issues to clinch that signing and he'd been making all the right noises before joining, such was his desperation to come here. He then played as if he didn't really give a fuck and it became clearer as to why Milan were so ready to flog him to Middlesbrough in the first place.

I was made up when we signed Nigel Clough and had his name and squad number printed on the back of my new replica shirt. I thought he'd be great for us and considered him to be a 'Liverpool-type player'.

His brace against the Mancs in that Rocky esq come back bought him atelast an extra season with us.

Litmanen was before his time, criminally under appreciated by Houiller. What made it more bizarre was the quality he showed when he played and after every one of these games he was benched for the next one, it made no sense.

For me the biggest letdown was Diouf, and it wasn't because he was a cunt, or because he was a very limited footballer, it was because of what might of been had we opted for Anelka.

Litmanen's biggest problem was that he was light years ahead of any of his team-mates.

He would have been ace in a Brendan Rodgers team.

Like you, my biggest letdown is Diouf.

I think we'd already sold Fowler before we signed Litmanen.

EDIT: Actually that's not correct as Litmanen joined around January 2001 and we sold Fowler in November 2001. They might have made a few appearances together but I can't remember definitely.

I think we'd already sold Fowler before we signed Litmanen.

EDIT: Actually that's not correct as Litmanen joined around January 2001 and we sold Fowler in November 2001. They might have made a few appearances together but I can't remember definitely.

Jari's first or one of his first games at Anfield was the 5-0 League Cup semi final 2nd leg against Palace, and Jari tried to dink a square header to Robbie when he had an open goal, as he knew Robbie was in the middle of a drought. Class act.

• Upvote 1

Probably Cissé for me. I've got 2 Liverpool kit shirts (and a few others that aren't meant to be from a kit) and had his on the back of the home one. Really thought he would be great for us once he healed up, especially as we'd seemingly been trying to sign him for years. Maybe things would have been different for him under Houllier who originally targeted him but ultimately he was a let down. Still remember being in a British social club we have over here at the age of 15 and having everyone love the shirt but then seeing the back of it and just looking at me like I was a poor kid who's just pissed himself or something and usually said something to the effect of "Well at least he got the goal today but his attitude is shit and his fucking lazy most of the time", was during/just after we'd won the 06 FA Cup "Gerrard" Final as well.

Really was quite funny actually as a couple of Irish export Reds who were there had the same reaction as most initially, then saw the name and went "what the fuck were you thinking there?" then suggested I just frame the shirt and display it on my wall because they thought it was awesome (Home 04-05 shirt with the CL Final patch and all the other shit you can add on) and that way no one would know I thought Cissé was worth putting on the back of it.

Haven't ordered another shirt since. When I do I'll probably get it blank, with Gerrard 8, or a retro Crown Paints one with either 7 or 10.

Definitely Kewell. He was one of the best players in Europe when we signed him, and for half of his first season here he was class. Then he picked up an injury and was never the same, bar a brief resurgence under Rafa in 2006. I still don't know to this day if he did have proper fitness problems or just didn't give a shit. Probably a bit of both.

• Upvote 1

Litmanen was before his time, criminally under appreciated by Houiller. What made it more bizarre was the quality he showed when he played and after every one of these games he was benched for the next one, it made no sense.

For me the biggest letdown was Diouf, and it wasn't because he was a cunt, or because he was a very limited footballer, it was because of what might of been had we opted for Anelka.

Or Ronaldo even, not the real one..