You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which signing is your biggest letdown

Bjornebye

Gonzales was a strange one. He was refused a work permit, on the grounds that he wasn't of sufficiently outstanding quality. This place went nuts with people ranting about non-football-experts overriding the judgement of our professional scouts. Then he got the WP, and it turned out that he wasn't of sufficiently outstanding quality.

• Upvote 1

I remember watching a tv montage of Cisse's Auxerre goals one night when we'd just been linked to him. He scored every type of goal for them and I thought at the time we were signing a superstar. One of the volleys he hit where he watched the ball drift on to his foot and battered it across goal was unreal.

I think the hit to his confidence of not making it here, plus the injuries, meant he never played like his Auxerre days again.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I had absolutely no expectations that Koncheskey would be a good player, and he absolutely met my expectations. So in a round about way, Koncheskey was a success at Liverpool?

I thought Downing would be a waste of money and he was a waste of money. Ergo, Downing was ace.

Gonzales was a strange one. He was refused a work permit, on the grounds that he wasn't of sufficiently outstanding quality. This place went nuts with people ranting about non-football-experts overriding the judgement of our professional scouts. Then he got the WP, and it turned out that he wasn't of sufficiently outstanding quality.

in fairness he was absolutely quality when we loaned him to Sociedad whilst waiting for the work permit, never seen someone hit so many crosses out for goal kicks as when he was here though

Cisse for me, we were linked to him for ages, his scoring ratio in France was impressive but although he got a goal on his first day of the season it never happened.

Obviously the injuries didn't help but I thought he'd be a success for seasons to come.

His attitude the away against the mancs in his final season was shocking. Just stayed on the half way line moaning.

Does anybody remember Cisse in that cup semi final v Chelsea at Old Trafford? They'd pulled one back through Drogba and were really starting to turn the screw with about 15 mins still to play. Rafa goes and throws Cisse on with the obvious aim of harrying their back four to stop them building from the back. Only Djibs decides he doesn't fancy breaking into a sweat and watches Terry and Carvalho morph into Beckenbauer and Baresi as each take it into turns to waltz the ball into the heart of our midfield. In the end, Morientes had to come on to show him how it was done and I still don't think I've seen anything slower than him going at full pelt.

Christ, I remember doing my nut with him that day.

Were you expecting the new Cafu when you heard we were signing Degen?

Sorry you're right, didn't read the thread title properly. Post would've been better in a/the worst player you've seen in a red shirt thread or something. Maybe it's the bit of a hangover I have, or because I'm a mentalist, or both.