You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ebay wankers.

withnail71

Jesus man. What are you the morality fucking police?

As Dandyman has pointed out, once fees, petrol and time and effort have been factored into it, the amount Withnail is looking at is pence.

Give up being a blert eh

EBay operates largely on trust between buyer and seller, and it fucks me off when that trust is abused in such a manner.

And after four years of being lectured on morality by what now appears to be a moral void of gargantuan proportions, I think I'm entitled to be pissed off.

You seem awfully sure about how much this has cost withnail, even though very few actual figures have been released.

Anyway, it's not about the quantity of money, it's the principle.

SD where do you stand when the postage cost works out in the buyers favour? As an example I sold some baby items, one of which cost me£6 more than ebays recommended shipping cost. Should I then have messaged the buyer asking for more money, or just took it on the chin knowing it occasionally might work in my favour?

EBay operates largely on trust between buyer and seller, and it fucks me off when that trust is abused in such a manner.And after four years of being lectured on morality by what now appears to be a moral void of gargantuan proportions, I think I'm entitled to be pissed off.You seem awfully sure about how much this has cost withnail, even though very few actual figures have been released.Anyway, it's not about the quantity of money, it's the principle.

£3.50 x2. He said it. So yeah, I'm pretty sure.

He might live miles from a post office, he might have had to buy 2 lots of packaging. As I said, it's pence when all said and done.

The fact remains that a deal took place, with the buyer in full knowledge that each item carried a postage charge. A email during the auction to ask if the postage could be altered would have surely have seen a deal struck between the 2, rather than an email after everything is sorted threatening the seller with bad intentions, whatever they might be.

I'd like to think your on a massive wind up, but I know better than that.

Beer and wank, have both. Order not important.

• Upvote 1

SD where do you stand when the postage cost works out in the buyers favour? As an example I sold some baby items, one of which cost me£6 more than ebays recommended shipping cost. Should I then have messaged the buyer asking for more money, or just took it on the chin knowing it occasionally might work in my favour?

You take it on the chin, it does happen, but it shouldn't really happen because you ought to weigh stuff beforehand and err on the side of caution if it's close to the threshold. You can always refund excess later (or not, depending on your scruples).

Oh right so what your saying is, I should do my homework before quoting a postage amount? Should this scenario not be the same for people bidding then? So if they haven't done their homework on postage that they're paying against actual cost, then if they get it wrong shouldn't they also take it on the chin?

The ONLY thing Withnail could have done differently is recognize the dude bought both items and message him asking if it was okay to ship in one box. From the sound of it, this cunt wouldn't have even appreciate that. 

I don't even know if it's logistically possible (or even fucking worth the hassle) to do that after the fact, but there was no scam or bait and switch on WN's part. I actually understand why you're upset SD, but that beer and a wank has to sound pretty good about now, hmm?

And the customer is always fucking wrong, but we bend over backward for the bastards b/c it's good for business (most of the time). 

Oh right so what your saying is, I should do my homework before quoting a postage amount? Should this scenario not be the same for people bidding then? So if they haven't done their homework on postage that they're paying against actual cost, then if they get it wrong shouldn't they also take it on the chin?

How the fuck is a buyer supposed to know how much your item weighs, how much you're spending on postage materials etc?

Information asymmetry. The onus is on the seller, since he is the one armed with the information.

Nevertheless, I think we've answered the question of why the kids these days don't get Monty Python - they're probably wondering why the guy who bought the dead parrot is so upset, and then siding with the storekeeper who sold it.

• Upvote 1

How the fuck is a buyer supposed to know how much your item weighs, how much you're spending on postage materials etc?

Information asymmetry. The onus is on the seller, since he is the one armed with the information.

Well, we really do need more information now. 1) were these Tank-ass jeans, b/c they have a lot of fabric and can be quite heavy. 2) how much did postage end up being anyway? 3) if he doesn't have a leg to stand on, why's he buying fucking jeans and not shorts?

Is this buyer living in cloud cuckoo land, doesn't know how much postage material are?! By the way I'm 41 so don't know what kids not getting Monty Python has got to do with anything. As it happens I've now started offering free postage and just bumping the price of the item up, that way the postage police can't accuse me of scamming them.

Is this buyer living in cloud cuckoo land, doesn't know how much postage material are?! By the way I'm 41 so don't know what kids not getting Monty Python has got to do with anything. As it happens I've now started offering free postage and just bumping the price of the item up, that way the postage police can't accuse me of scamming them.

Scalping bastard, Plev.

You should be ashamed of yourself .....

Fuckin hell, all this over a couple of fucking quid. He's hardly been robbed for £50 has he?

It didn't say anything in the auction about combined postage. That sort of thing would put me off buying usually, so if he's gone right ahead with it, he should be fine with paying it. Then waiting for it to turn up before whinging about it? Would he have been fine if 2 different packages turned up? Knowing he paid more than he needed to, but so did the seller? Fuck him. You had the sense to put it in one package and you paid for the weight of the item. Which if I'm not mistaken, would have been the same as the two seperate minus a bit of paper around the outside?

• Upvote 1

Fuckin hell, all this over a couple of fucking quid. He's hardly been robbed for £50 has he?

What does quantity have to do with it. How much do you have to con someone out of before it becomes morally questionable?

Fuck you and all the other negging slags.

• Downvote 2

SD is right though. Charging multiple postage is not fair practice. What if you were selling ten pairs, or ten of any clothing items? Would you think charging the guy £35 postage would still be reasonable? Of course it isn't. People shouldn't have to get in touch with you to not charge them £35 for sending them 10 of the same item, or £7 for 2 in this case. It doesn't matter if it's 2, 5, 10, the principle is the same. I'm using the 10 example to show how ridiculous the price of postage could be for a parcel that wouldn't be very big. If you say, "of course I wouldn't charge £35 for the 10 items" then you are essentially saying I'll rip him off when it's 2 items, but if it's more than some random number I decide, then I'll charge fairly. Bollocks. It's wrong, stop doing it. 

• Upvote 1

What does quantity have to do with it. How much do you have to con someone out of before it becomes morally questionable?

How the fuck was he conned?

He paid for two auctions both with £3.50 p+p, so he paid for two auctions both with £3.50 p+p. Withnail didn't slam the price up without him noticing did he? There's no deceit going on here at all.

If the auctions didn't mention combined postage, how can this fella just expect it to happen?

Whether you like it or not, this is the fuckin internet. You need to be a bit proactive with shit like this, if you're that bothered about being 'scammed' as you put it, then do something about it before it fuckin happens. Especially when absolutely no rules or laws have been broken.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They can neg away all they like, it's still wrong, as I've explained, maybe it will sink in. People shouldn't be defending this with hostility, why not hold your hands up and say, "yeah, maybe this postage pricing policy results in inconsistent

How the fuck was he conned?

He paid for two auctions both with £3.50 p+p, so he paid for two auctions both with £3.50 p+p. Withnail didn't slam the price up without him noticing did he? There's no deceit going on here at all.

Maybe using the word conned is OTT, but it is unfair, because you would change the pricing structure for more items, yet think it's ok if you're only posting 2. It's inconsistent. What's the magic number for when you start to alter the postage price more accurately to reflect parcel size? 3 items? 4? 5? You should charge what it costs to deliver the item. That's it.

If the auctions didn't mention combined postage, how can this fella just expect it to happen?

Somebody being fair would offer combined postage in the first place, or at least have it in mind if the same person was to purchase multiple items from them. You can't go, "oh well, it's the same person who's just ordered more than one of my items, I'll still charge him as if I'm sending to different people." It isn't fair, we should move on to talking about things where there's a minuscule chance I could be wrong, which is not the case on this topic.