You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Open 2014

I'm following the dude off oddschecker, he seems to know his onions - Sam has tipped the winners of both Majors this season, making it four of the last five including Phil Mickelson in last years open.

1pt Graeme McDowell (e/w) @ 30/1

1pt Thomas Bjorn (e/w) @ 66/1

1pt Paul Casey (e/w) @ 66/1

1pt Angel Cabrera (e/w) @ 75/1

1pt Jason Dufner (e/w) @ 100/1

I'm following the dude off oddschecker, he seems to know his onions - Sam has tipped the winners of both Majors this season, making it four of the last five including Phil Mickelson in last years open.

1pt Graeme McDowell (e/w) @ 30/1

1pt Thomas Bjorn (e/w) @ 66/1

1pt Paul Casey (e/w) @ 66/1

1pt Angel Cabrera (e/w) @ 75/1

1pt Jason Dufner (e/w) @ 100/1

I think Cabrera is 100/1 with ladbrokes mate. Was earlier anyway

Rory is as likely to shoot a 64 as a 78. If he can get more consistent, and have his bad round only slightly above par, he will start winning some more majors. It might start this week. Too hard to say. Tiger Woods knows his way around. Adam Scott will be there of thereabouts, as will Justin Rose. Can't wait to see it all unfold.

Victor Dubuisson at 80-1 and Stephen Gallacher at 200-1 are my each way tips.

Lee Westwood will either start of well and be in the top 3 after the first two rounds, get people excited he might actually win this one, before fading in the 3rd and eventually coming 7th.

Or Lee Westwood will start badly have no chance of winning before putting together a couple of good rounds and quietly finishing 7th.

I like the Open as well, none of this pretty flowers and bridges shit in Augusta.

A good windswept course with berms and fescues and all that other shit. or is it burns?

Who fucking cars, John Daly to win and then murder pints at the Ship and Mitre.

Haha

To be fair id love to play a round at augusta

Im going:

Read this brilliant story - I Know who im backing

The last time John Singleton had a brush with fame, he was thousands of miles from home, trying to make it as a young professional in the ultra-competitive world of American golf.

Two dodgy knees ended his dream and brought him back to reality - and England.

And, after undergoing an operation on both knees, he settled down to earning an honest crust by taking a real job.

When the Open last came to Hoylake, in 2006, Singleton was still State-side, trying his luck after two years of collegiate golf at Rend Lake College, Illinois.

But the prospect of its return to Royal Liverpool, so close to his Wallasey home, just five minutes' drive away, was enough to rekindle those old dreams.

"As soon as I started playing golf, I was dreaming of playing in the Open," 30-year-old Singleton told BBC Sport.

"Mentally speaking, golf is the hardest sport in the world. You're out there on your own.

"But I never had any doubts I was going to make it. I was on the right path.

"Then, when I got injured, I felt all the practice I'd put in over 10 years had gone to waste.

"But to actually be here now getting a second bite and doing it on a course I know so well is fantastic. That makes it so much better, having my friends and family so close by.

Veteran BBC commentator Peter Alliss:

"It would be magical if he manages to get to play the final 36 holes. Just imagine if he won it. Of course it's highly improbable, but you never, never know.

"It would be one of those magic fairy stories that - just sometimes - come true.

"He'll be very nervous. He's never been in that situation before but it'll be a wonderful experience."

"It's so nice for people to come up and say hello and want to speak to me, which I really appreciate. And, during the practice rounds, I've had people cheering me on that I've never seen before.

"But I'm also looking for the Open to be a great springboard for me.

"I want to continue to play professional golf and I would love the chance of sponsorship to enable me to keep on playing."

That was the lure when Singleton coughed up the £150 entrance fee to take his chance in Regional Qualifying at Mere, in Cheshire, last month.

And he started to prepare properly, by fitting in a practice schedule at his course at Eastham Lodge around his daily job in a Birkenhead factory, where "I help make varnish and paints and resin, which goes over wires to keep them waterproof".

"For the last three months," he said, "I've been starting at 8am and finishing at 4:30, then, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, I get off to the course about five and I practise until 8:30."

All that at a time when his other half, Lucy, is expecting their first child, due next month. But all the effort has paid off.

John Singleton

Born/lives:

Birkenhead/Wallasey

Club:

Eastham Lodge

Exemption:

Final Qualifying (Hillside)

Open record:

Open debut

First round tee time:

10:32 BST

He fired two matching level-par rounds of 71 at Mere, only to miss out by a shot in a play-off, but that was good enough to be put on the reserve list for Local Final Qualifying. And, when a place became available at Hillside, Singleton took it.

After a first-round 72, he stormed to a second-round 66 which helped him finish joint-top. Even then, there were four players tied - and only three places for Hoylake available.

But he held his nerve in that play-off, a par at the first extra hole proving enough, when Yorkshire amateur Chris Marsh dropped out.

And now here he is, in his Royal Liverpool 'home', dreaming of even greater glories.

Local knowledge

Singleton was originally intending to be walking the fairways of Royal Liverpool this week - as one of the volunteer marshals.

"I'm not focussing too much on a certain score," insisted Singleton. "I'm just going out to enjoy myself and hope that's enough."

In which case, what, he was asked, would be his best scenario?

After a pause, and a grin from those genial Scouse features, the positive-minded Singleton admitted: "The best scenario would be to win it, of course."

Why not? After all, Sunday will be his 31st birthday. What better present?

"But," he quickly added. "Realistically, I'll just be looking to make the cut and take it from there.

"For me, 98% of it is mental. If I can control my emotions, I think I'll have a nice week."

• Upvote 1

I've backed Adam Scott to win. He's been playing the course with the members for the last two weeks instead of playing tournaments like the rest of the field, I'm hoping those hard yards he's put in pay off. He went really close at Lytham two years ago and always seems to be there or there abouts when it comes to the majors. I wish he would bin that broom handle putter though, I still think those things and the belly putters are a form of cheating.

I've backed Adam Scott to win. He's been playing the course with the members for the last two weeks instead of playing tournaments like the rest of the field, I'm hoping those hard yards he's put in pay off. He went really close at Lytham two years ago and always seems to be there or there abouts when it comes to the majors. I wish he would bin that broom handle putter though, I still think those things and the belly putters are a form of cheating.

Yeah,those long putters should only be considered a training aid or for non professional out of competition players,such as older people and ones with medical problems.