You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Divock Origi

WhiskeyJar

17 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Think it's the fact he is shit has no determination and is too laid back.

That's exactly it imo, hunger and determination. I remember when he was new here I said to one of the lads in the match, he'll never make a top level striker as he isn't prepared to put everything into getting to the ball 1st and he doesn't follow the play and you can often see his mind is almost in another place. He anticipates nothing and just mostly hangs around hoping the ball will land with him. Lots of people have held on to the period he was good when klopp 1st arrived that's there's a player in there - and there might be, but there's more to being a top level professional footballer than talent alone and it was about 6 games. I think probably the best and worst thing that happened to him were that period of big goals he scored that were disproportionate to his overall contribution. It allowed him to think that not trying too hard was ok. I don't see a great deal different in what he does now, just defenders know how to deal with him better and his team mates trust him less. I actually don't think he's a bit shit talent wise, just his application is so poor it makes him a shit player. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That's exactly it imo, hunger and determination. I remember when he was new here I said to one of the lads in the match, he'll never make a top level striker as he isn't prepared to put everything into getting to the ball 1st and he doesn't follow the play and you can often see his mind is almost in another place. He anticipates nothing and just mostly hangs around hoping the ball will land with him. Lots of people have held on to the period he was good when klopp 1st arrived that's there's a player in there - and there might be, but there's more to being a top level professional footballer than talent alone and it was about 6 games. I think probably the best and worst thing that happened to him were that period of big goals he scored that were disproportionate to his overall contribution. It allowed him to think that not trying too hard was ok. I don't see a great deal different in what he does now, just defenders know how to deal with him better and his team mates trust him less. I actually don't think he's a bit shit talent wise, just his application is so poor it makes him a shit player. 

He reminds me of that bloke who scored our first goal in the '06 Cup Final against West Ham, whose name escapes me after a couple of gins and beers.

He clearly is going through the motions to some degree, but I couldn't blame him. He's had a full career before the age of 25. World Cup goal, Champions League hero, Premier League champion. I'm not sure what the club expects when you sign someone to a long term contract to essentially fulfill a backup role. What else does he have to aspire to in this team? He's someone we simply should have sold. 

2 hours ago, skaro said:

He reminds me of that bloke who scored our first goal in the '06 Cup Final against West Ham, whose name escapes me after a couple of gins and beers.

I always though djibs was thick as shit, but he never lacked heart and passion. If you could merge the 2 players, I think you might get a player. 

• Upvote 2

He’s always been brilliant against Everton. Utter insanity that he didn’t get a decent run-out against them in last week’s capitulation, especially given Firmino’s form. His days at the club are numbered, but a goal might have bumped up his value for the summer and, you know, given us something to cheer about for a minute before the next injury. 

19 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

He’s always been brilliant against Everton. Utter insanity that he didn’t get a decent run-out against them in last week’s capitulation, especially given Firmino’s form. His days at the club are numbered, but a goal might have bumped up his value for the summer and, you know, given us something to cheer about for a minute before the next injury. 

He might have a decent run at the Euros in the summer. 

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

He clearly is going through the motions to some degree, but I couldn't blame him. He's had a full career before the age of 25. World Cup goal, Champions League hero, Premier League champion. I'm not sure what the club expects when you sign someone to a long term contract to essentially fulfill a backup role. What else does he have to aspire to in this team? He's someone we simply should have sold. 

Agreed.

After he scored 2 goals against Everton, it was 5 games until he got another start. How many times can that happen before you decide it doesn't really matter if you play well or not?

3 hours ago, magicrat said:

Just watched a bit of the Bluemanc game and they brought on Jesus and Foden when they were going nowhere at 1-1

We have Origi who is not even good enough to warm the bench. 

In theory, we have Jota. We need to replace Origi with a signing like that.

7 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I honestly think it's sad Div's gone backwards so much. Dont know what it is, weight of expectations after Barcelona and sealing number 6 in Madrid or what.

Well, he’s been completely neglected over the last 2 seasons. Who the hell wants to be a super sub all their playing career?
He’s NEVER been given the chance to establish a first team position. Yes, I understand he doesn’t ‘fit’ the Klopp way and Klopp doesn’t go for rotation even if he did. Should have already been sold on and we should have already bought a squad player who competes well for any of the front three positions.

13 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Well, he’s been completely neglected over the last 2 seasons. Who the hell wants to be a super sub all their playing career?
He’s NEVER been given the chance to establish a first team position. Yes, I understand he doesn’t ‘fit’ the Klopp way and Klopp doesn’t go for rotation even if he did. Should have already been sold on and we should have already bought a squad player who competes well for any of the front three positions.

He did get a chance to establish himself years ago, but the bottom line is the lad doesn't work hard enough and has been up for sale since we loaned him out years ago. But nobody in the market thinks he's worth what LFC do, which is why he's still there - he's been up for sale for years. 

Everything you need to know about origi is boiled down into the fact he's happy with the role he has in the team. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He did get a chance to establish himself years ago, but the bottom line is the lad doesn't work hard enough and has been up for sale since we loaned him out years ago. But nobody in the market thinks he's worth what LFC do, which is why he's still there - he's been up for sale for years. 

Everything you need to know about origi is boiled down into the fact he's happy with the role he has in the team. 

He's happy getting paid a small fortune for doing the square root of fuck all but who can blame him?

We need to move him on but he's like Uncle Albert.

• Upvote 1