You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Divock Origi

WhiskeyJar

I think he was 22/23 rather than 19/20, don't know if the league is of a similar standard to ten years ago. I'd hazard a guess that it's marginally better, but not much.

Just checked and Auxerre were 4th the season we signed him, rather than 8th like Lille. Don't really know how either side plays/played though.

He scored 26 league goals so that's why they'd have been 4th that season. He'd have probably carried that side.

We signed Cisse at 22 and he'd been scoring goals regularly in France for 3 or 4 seasons. Origi has scored 16 goals in 90 games for Lille. Cisse scored nearly 100 for Auxerre and he was 22 when he left. He also wasn't really good enough anyway.

To spend that money on a young forward from France with a very low strike rate, when what we need is goals, seems baffling. If it was 2 or 3 million then maybe.

Yeah, I'm not defending the signing (or attacking it, to be honest). 

I don't mind him being 4th choice striker as long we don't sign Ings...another 4th choice striker. Plus we still have Aspas, Balotelli, Borini, and Lambert to shift. All 4th choice strikers.

• Upvote 2

Criminal recruitment policy, the shitness of which is second to none.

The committee of shite, B. Rodgie and the fake Scouser Ayre need to go through a trial for fraud against Liverpool F.C.

In a wider context I think there should be a wide inquiry into what goes on at Liverpool as to how we spend our money because there has to be some kind of fraud or embezzlement going on. At the very least chummy relationships with agents with certain individuals to narrow down our transfer targets.

Nobody can be this inept with transfers, it's barely possible. When people are being paid millions of pounds to be this inept then there has to be some kind of fraud involved.

He's a young player who was thrust into the limelight, lost form, from what I gather got shunted out wide and had the fans turn on him. He won't be the first and he won't be the last, but at his age I'd be wary of labelling him in a binary shit or good fashion.

He gets us

He scored 26 league goals so that's why they'd have been 4th that season. He'd have probably carried that side.

We signed Cisse at 22 and he'd been scoring goals regularly in France for 3 or 4 seasons. Origi has scored 16 goals in 90 games for Lille. Cisse scored nearly 100 for Auxerre and he was 22 when he left. He also wasn't really good enough anyway.

To spend that money on a young forward from France with a very low strike rate, when what we need is goals, seems baffling. If it was 2 or 3 million then maybe.

Just as a bit of extra context to this, according to that there Wikipedia, Cisse turned 23 in the window we signed him, whereas Origi only turned 20 last month.

In the season when Cisse turned 20 he scored a comparable amount of league goals (8 in 25 vs. 8 in 33).

Cisse was clearly the better talent, but it's not like one is light years ahead of the other, and considering the price paid I don't think Origi is the biggest waste of the club's money. We'd have had to pay similar for a young Cisse considering inflation.

Just as a bit of extra context to this, according to that there Wikipedia, Cisse turned 23 in the window we signed him, whereas Origi only turned 20 last month.

In the season when Cisse turned 20 he scored a comparable amount of league goals (8 in 25 vs. 8 in 33).

Cisse was clearly the better talent, but it's not like one is light years ahead of the other, and considering the price paid I don't think Origi is the biggest waste of the club's money. We'd have had to pay similar for a young Cisse considering inflation.

There is a lot of competition for that position.

It seems like a usual hyped world cup signing.

You never know, the scouts may have done what scouts are employed to do, unearth a talent in the making... Give him a chance!

He's been about a 1 in 5 scorer so far in the French league, so anyone expecting him to come in and score lots of goals straight away will be sorely disappointed.  Maybe in a couple of years if he develops he could challenge for a first team spot.

Then we can say the scouts have done a good job.

That worst team of the season thing seems a bit narky to me. Yeah he's probably not had a great season, but then he's in a weird position at Lille, being owned by us and he might have let it go to his head a bit, maybe a bit of resentment from teammates, the manager, dunno.

I've seen bits of him, especially in the Europa League, to think he's a very capable forward.

These best/worst lists are just shite click bait for people to get in a froth over. Given the stock placed on the majority of football journalism in the UK on this board, I'm not sure why the French equivalent should be taken more seriously. 

How many players scored a hat-trick for Liverpool this season? 

These best/worst lists are just shite click bait for people to get in a froth over. Given the stock placed on the majority of football journalism in the UK on this board, I'm not sure why the French equivalent should be taken more seriously. 

How many players scored a hat-trick for Liverpool this season? 

That's a fair point. I doubt there's a Frenchman right now reading Garth Crooks' team of the week and choking on his croissant.