You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Divock Origi

WhiskeyJar

22 minutes ago, Code said:

Origi has not scored as a sub this season, in any competition.

Would you ever start Origi instead of Mane, Firmino or Salah unless it was because of fitness.

That's the whole point! He's being described as shit and not good enough, where my point has been he is an option from the bench and that's a tough task for him. He has scored goals, important ones too. What else is he supposed to do? If we want players who are as good as Mane, Salah and Firmino out there, it's up to the club to sign them. 

Other posters have been asked to name the players we can sign who can compete with Salah, Mane and Firmino and do a better job than Origi has and no one has so far come up with a player who is available, wants the role and is better than Origi. It's easy to say that's Klopp's and Edward's job and they should be getting this sorted but if it's that easy, show us. 

If Origi is given more starts and he doesn't deliver, then it should not be hard to replace him. But based on his stats, I think he would be contributing a lot more to the team if he was given more starts. Otherwise its the job of the players who are picked on the first 11 to score the goals and win the games. 

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Roberto Firmino in the Premier League has played 34 matches (plus 3 as a sub). He had 38 shots on target from a total of 69 shots and has scored 9 goals (16.39 xG). Roberto Firmino averages 32 passes per match with a pass completion rate of 80%, and has 8 assists.

Is that good enough? 

No not really, Firmino need to up his game. But he contributes on a regular basis with either a goal or assist, you can’t use Origi’s stats in a direct comparison. His sample is too small. 

5 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

That's the whole point! He's being described as shit and not good enough, where my point has been he is an option from the bench and that's a tough task for him. He has scored goals, important ones too. What else is he supposed to do? If we want players who are as good as Mane, Salah and Firmino out there, it's up to the club to sign them. 

Other posters have been asked to name the players we can sign who can compete with Salah, Mane and Firmino and do a better job than Origi has and no one has so far come up with a player who is available, wants the role and is better than Origi. It's easy to say that's Klopp's and Edward's job and they should be getting this sorted but if it's that easy, show us. 

If Origi is given more starts and he doesn't deliver, then it should not be hard to replace him. But based on his stats, I think he would be contributing a lot more to the team if he was given more starts. Otherwise its the job of the players who are picked on the first 11 to score the goals and win the games. 

His role is a sub, but he’s not scored a single goal as a sub this season.

Do you think he has contributed in his role as a sub?

His only goal or assist as a sub this season, was an abysmal finish that ended up as an assist for a genius finish from Salah at home against Watford.

Watch it here if you don’t remember it, two superb goals from Salah by the way.

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

So Bobby scoring twice as many goals with almost 5 times as many appearances is OK, but Origi scoring half as many as Bobby is 5 times less and not scoring when he comes on to replace him makes Origi shit and gives him a bad attitude? 

I was speaking to Code as he's a poster I like. 

he contributes in other areas and in general produces performances quite regularly game to game.

32 minutes ago, Code said:

His role is a sub, but he’s not scored a single goal as a sub this season.

Do you think he has contributed in his role as a sub?

His only goal or assist as a sub this season, was an abysmal finish that ended up as an assist for a genius finish from Salah at home against Watford.

Watch it here if you don’t remember it, two superb goals from Salah by the way.

Surely the role of the sub should be to give the players a break from taking part in the rest of the match? So a player gets a yellow card, bring him off in case he gets another. A player looks slightly leggy or takes an impact during a challenge, take him off to protect him and to prevent an injury. As the team of the first 11 that takes to the field, surely they have been set the task of doing what is necessary to achieve the desired results? If you rely on the subs to come on and win the game or to try and rescue it, why were they not on the field amongst the first 11 in the first place? As a strategic change sometimes subs are necessary, perhaps the opposition have not set up in the way that was expected or they have made a change that requires a sub to come on.

I'd like to see what Origi could achieve if he were given more starts. Perhaps the front three would start to look at their position as being under threat if he did start more games and if he did score more goals as a result, this perhaps would trigger more goals when the others come back into the team. As a result of the increase in confidence and competition, when a sub comes on he is more likely to have an impact - especially if all the players are playing with more confidence, not just the first 11.

This team definitely plays better when they are not desperate to score - even against Newcastle, as soon as that first goal went in the shackles came off and the team really started to enjoy themselves. It's perhaps a shame that Origi wasn't still on the field when that happened as he could have scored one or two more.

Personally I like him as a player, I think he's underrated and should be given more chances to prove himself. The point with Firmino is if players are judged by their stats, this has to apply to all players - not just the players that aren't the big guns.

That miss against Watford by Origi I had forgotten about - to be fair Salah has had his fair share of howlers but he isn't scared to go again and neither should he be. Why can't Origi be given the same benefits?

On 27/07/2020 at 19:19, BeefStroganoff said:

he contributes in other areas and in general produces performances quite regularly game to game.

Bobby has had a poor season by his recent very high standards

• 3 months later...

Origi is my man and I have always backed him, as I thought deputising for the best forwards in world football was an impossible task, particularly when you don't play for months and get an occasional 5-15 minute interval.

Kind of changed my mind now, seeing how Jota took 20 minutes and ought to be in the front 3, really. If you're good enough, you take any chance and dislodge even indispensable players. It's time to cash in, even though I wish he could stay.

24 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Origi is my man and I have always backed him, as I thought deputising for the best forwards in world football was an impossible task, particularly when you don't play for months and get an occasional 5-15 minute interval.

Kind of changed my mind now, seeing how Jota took 20 minutes and ought to be in the front 3, really. If you're good enough, you take any chance and dislodge even indispensable players. It's time to cash in, even though I wish he could stay.

This is where I am too. It's a hard role being a sub to a quality forward line but he just doesn't seem to be trying anymore. He's a decent player and when he goes to a team that plays him, I'm sure he will do OK.

2 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Hes shite and shows absolutely no fight in the game. Villa standard player. 

So with Origi in their team perhaps they could have beaten us 9-2.

Now, Klopp probably knows a little bit more about footy, I'll concede that - but I don't understand playing Origi on the left wing he looks totally lost. He's a good front man - a good centre forward - he can score goals (brilliant ones at that) - but he just can't play that left wing role. Just look how he played last season with Shaq supplying him - different player. 

• 2 weeks later...

He's no David fairclough, wish Jurgen would stop throwing him on to try and rescue a game. I groan anytime he comes on as he offers absolutely nothing anymore. Surely there has to be someone else who would fit the bill. 

I'll drive him and naby to the airport myself. 

I don’t agree when people say we should have long since sold Divock. Clearly we’ve been open to selling him for several years (most obviously to Wolves), but it just hasn’t happened. Plus he has scored the odd important goal. 

And I can’t blame him for wanting to stay. If he hadn’t fought for his place then he wouldn’t have a Premier League winners’ medal, or a Champions League medal. Well, unless he’d gone to Manchester City or Real, I guess.
If he reminds me of anyone then it’s Steve McManaman. Not the Liverpool version, but the Real Madrid one, who knew his playing time was always likely to get squeezed, but backed himself to make a contribution. And for three years he did, until that final season which was basically a waste of time for all concerned. The difference is though that Macca was a smart enough player to reinvent himself from a brilliant attacking midfielder into a deep-lying one who could help stitch a team together. Big Divock just looks like he’s become a less effective version of the player he was two years ago. 
Time to get rid. 

27 minutes ago, m0e said:

Should have never been given a new contract

This. And because of this he's living off his purple patches" which he was brilliant at times ", with a new contract why should he be putting a shift in. He's time is up he needs to be moved on for his sake and the clubs. 

58 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

He needs the love of a good club. Still a young lad and knows he's going nowhere. He'll always be a hero though. 

I had to look that up; he's only 25.  I assumed he was a few years older than that.

He really needs to shape up and sharpen up right now, because he's strolling through games when we need him to put a shift in.  We've seen him do it in the past.  I don't get why he's so poor this season.

• Upvote 2