You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Divock Origi

WhiskeyJar

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

I'm not talking about Kloppim talking about people on here going on about no player will join to sit on the bench, or it will puss our front three off. 

We have been very lucky none of them have had a significant injury in 3 years, expecting that to carry on when they get about 2 weeks off this year isn't the best idea. Klopp obviously wanted another one or he wouldn't have done the hard work on Werner. 

Origi hasn't really developed from the player that joined. He often looks terrible when he starts, he can occasionally come on and change a game but overall he's been pretty poor this year when called on. Hopefully Miamino steps up but he's showed little but small glimpses. Elliot isn't ready, Brewster who knows at the top level and Jones isn't a forward. 

Wouldn't bother, he's straight from the school of RAWKS "we shalt not give criticism' mantra

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Fucking hell that was a mini hot streak over a few games. Regardless with how important those goals where in the long term, he doesn't contribute enough. I think Jurgen likes him because he's just prepared to sit on the bench without any complaints. Thats his biggest attribute to this team.

Hold on. If a player is shit, he's shit. Shit players don't have 'hot streaks' that last six months (which has actually happened twice in his time at the club). Klopp booted him out (and rightly so) when his attitude stunk but clearly something has changed as he is getting game time when a supposedly superior player like Shaqiri isn't getting so much of a look in.

To say that a player is shit and then acknowledge that they have actually been quite good at certain points kind of puts this whole argument on shaky ground.

Just now, Fluter in Dakota said:

Hold on. If a player is shit, he's shit. Shit players don't have 'hot streaks' that last six months (which has actually happened twice in his time at the club). Klopp booted him out (and rightly so) when his attitude stunk but clearly something has changed as he is getting game time when a supposedly superior player like Shaqiri isn't getting so much of a look in.

To say that a player is shit and then acknowledge that they have actually been quite good at certain points kind of puts this whole argument on shaky ground.

He is shit. He is not consistent enough to deliver. As you say the club wanted rid he was that ineffective.

He should have taken that platform from those few games and moved himself up a level, instead he's just basked in it.

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Mate you have chatting shite down to an art form. its not my job to name replacements, people get paid for that at the Club.

Hahaha, just as I thought. There's loads of 7 or 8 out of 10 strikers who'd act as a back up but you can't or wont name any. Yeah whatever.

Divock may be replaced in the summer, Im not saying he wont. Im saying we'll be very lucky to find the step up in quality striker that's going to be 4th choice.

As for people saying yeah Mo, Bobby and Sadio could play a quarter less games to fit this other striker in, I can just see them beating a path to Jurgen's door saying their not happy at missing the games. Look how Sadio has a monk on when he's subbed.

Still, I guess we could sell one of them if they did get stroppy then the problem would be solved one way.

Ideally we should have six forwards to cover three positions. I think Origi is a decent player who offers something different and maybe Taki will prove good enough too. But the trouble is that Origi doesn't fit in with how we mostly play and just contributes in fits and starts. We need another forward good enough to offer pace out wide and Shaq and Ox haven't given us what we need. 

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

He is shit. He is not consistent enough to deliver. As you say the club wanted rid he was that ineffective.

He should have taken that platform from those few games and moved himself up a level, instead he's just basked in it.

And then offered him a new contract. Don't state half truths as facts.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Hahaha, just as I thought. There's loads of 7 or 8 out of 10 strikers who'd act as a back up but you can't or wont name any. Yeah whatever.

Divock may be replaced in the summer, Im not saying he wont. Im saying we'll be very lucky to find the step up in quality striker that's going to be 4th choice.

As for people saying yeah Mo, Bobby and Sadio could play a quarter less games to fit this other striker in, I can just see them beating a path to Jurgen's door saying their not happy at missing the games. Look how Sadio has a monk on when he's subbed.

Still, I guess we could sell one of them if they did get stroppy then the problem would be solved one way.

No i just can't be arsed to go trotting off to google for someone like yourself who would fucking ignore the effort anyway because you are a plank.

2 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

And then offered him a new contract. Don't state half truths as facts.

They offered him a new contract as reward for those few goals and with one eye on saving a penny from having to replace him.

Cant believe there are people who are actively defending him, he just aint good enough.

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

They offered him a new contract as reward for those few goals and with one eye on saving a penny from having to replace him.

Cant believe there are people who are actively defending him, he just aint good enough.

You're not really helping yourself here.

36 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Because his attitude is shit. he doesn't work hard, he doesn't use his attributes. You see Mo coming on today and he's running about like its his last game on earth. 

I thought Divock might push on after last seasons heroics, but he seems to have settled for 'thats the best its gonna get'. he is strong, decent in the air and has a good shot on him, he's not slow either but he sits on the peripheral of games and doesn't like to get himself into the mix.

His attitude isn't shit, ffs. Whenever we've needed him in some of our biggest matches in the last 5 years, he has delivered for us.

The problem is that he has no clear role in the team. He'll start a game every couple months or get 15 minutes here and there in some complex, half left wing, half striker role that Mane does but that he can't because he just doesn't have that kind of world class quality. That's why he should probably go. He'll go play up front in an ok side somewhere and he'll bang in the goals. 

Divock is our fourth striker, but surely there’s no debate that we could have a better option.

There’s no doubt that there are likely better options out there.

There’s no doubt that a club with its stock as high as ours currently is, could and should be looking for a better option if there is the desire to remain at the top, and you’re more likely to attract better players when you’re at the top of your game.

I would be very surprised if the club hasn’t been looking to improve in every area, not just at strikers, to bolster the squad, however, that said, we don’t know who if anyone has been considered or approached, or maybe it is felt we already have the answers available or maybe the players we’re looking at are too expensive.

We always used to strengthen the squad when we were winning things, as did united, so the precedent has been set, what will be interesting is whether we let players go and then elect not to replace them.

Guest Alex_K

"His attitude is shit". What an absolute nonsense. The lad is fluent in four languages, was studying for a psychology degree while playing, is a high IQ avid reader .. drawing conclusions on his "attitude" from a languid playing style is just silly.

If you did a "Players That Shook the Kop" now he'd have to be in the top 50 ever. He was instrumental in some of the biggest nights in the club's history. Could we get a better number 9 or a better winger? Yes, probably. But to slag off a player who has contributed so much to where we're at now is just bad form.

29 minutes ago, J-V said:

He would have been out of contract this summer if we didn’t offer him the new contract I believe.

Definitely, Lovren and Wijnaldum are out next summer. Lovren is being sold. Gini is an unknown but there's no way he's not being offered a new contract because he's shit. Other players who have not made the grade have been given a way out of the club - Clyne, Sakho, Moreno, Karius to name just four. If Divock was shit, he would be out of the club. Absolutely no doubt about that whatsoever. Karius was replaced with at the time the most expensive keeper in the world. Lovren was effectively replaced with the most expensive centre-back in the world. Suggestions that a player is offered a new contract so save money on replacing them is fanciful poppycock.

34 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Christ! We won 3-1 playing at about 50-60% of our ability and have won the league by 20+ points and some people are moaning about the lad who scored the goal which turned the game. I'm a miserable sod most of the time but I'm still flabbergasted at the attitudes of some on here.

Like I said, can't help but feel there are a few car bonnets with dents in them.

12 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Definitely, Lovren and Wijnaldum are out next summer. Lovren is being sold. Gini is an unknown but there's no way he's not being offered a new contract because he's shit. Other players who have not made the grade have been given a way out of the club - Clyne, Sakho, Moreno, Karius to name just four. If Divock was shit, he would be out of the club. Absolutely no doubt about that whatsoever. Karius was replaced with at the time the most expensive keeper in the world. Lovren was effectively replaced with the most expensive centre-back in the world. Suggestions that a player is offered a new contract so save money on replacing them is fanciful poppycock.

He was offered the deal to save some value and to give him another chance, same as Wilson was. Its the club protecting itself. They were willing to sell him last summer. 

I won't question his attitude etc. But we need better from the first option off the bench. If Salah missed 2 months next year he isn't good enough to step in and fill the gap. 

Klopp obviously felt he needed another option or he wouldn't have been out trying to sign Werner. 

I like him and in Klopps first year really thought he wasn't starting to look good but that form has never come back since he got crocked in the Derby 

I keep hearing he will bang goals in elsewhere. I don't think he ever will. He will get you 8/12 goals most years, maybe the odd year of 15-18. But he just isn't a regular scorer. He looked lost at Wolsburg the other year and stank the place out at Lille when he loaned him back after signing him. 

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

He was offered the deal to save some value and to give him another chance, same as Wilson was. Its the club protecting itself. They were willing to sell him last summer. 

I won't question his attitude etc. But we need better from the first option off the bench. If Salah missed 2 months next year he isn't good enough to step in and fill the gap. 

Klopp obviously felt he needed another option or he wouldn't have been out trying to sign Werner. 

I like him and in Klopps first year really thought he wasn't starting to look good but that form has never come back since he got crocked in the Derby 

There's a difference between being willing to sell a player and actually selling a player. Ings was loaned out with a permament deal attached to it. Moreno was allowed to leave the club. As was Clyne. Sakho was sold. They were not given the choice, they were not given the chance to prove themselves. I don't think Wilson has been given the chance to prove himself either but he may not be good enough. If he isn't, he will probably be sold and he most likely won't have a choice in the matter.

The fact that Origi is still at the club says as much about Origi as it says about the club.

24 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

His attitude is first class. He'll always be a legend here.

There are plently of players in Liverpool's history that are far from legendary but contributed massively to the success enjoyed.

Craig Johnston (or Johnson) generally didn't play as many games as the others at that time and he certainly didn't look as good as Dalglish or Rush but he definitely contributed when he did play. There will be others in the past and there will more in the future. He's a decent player - sure you need the world class and top players but you also need the decent ones who contribute.