You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Divock Origi

WhiskeyJar

2 hours ago, A_S said:

Is he worth keeping around beyond this season? He's got a goal per 101 minutes this season, which is good going. Even his 3 goals from 9 appearances in total is very solid for a guy making sub appearances twice as often as he starts. 

Aside from the goals scored, his performances in the Everton and Watford games were pretty decent (I didn't see the Wolves cup game, so can't comment).

He's still only 23, has the nice combination of good acceleration (as opposed to 'just' pace) and power, and perhaps most crucially, played in a 3 replacing one of the starters and combined well with them. 

He’s comical to watch at times.. like you know he has the right ideas but he’s a bit too uncoordinated to execute what he wants to do half the time.

• Upvote 1

He should have got more game time imo. Is he good enough, hard to say with such little time pre injury he was really playing well and scoring at a great rate. By far the most likely to make a impact from the bench. 

11 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Clearly of more use than Sturridge.

So is Andy Carroll and practically every other premier League forward. 

None of Origi,  Sturridge or Solange should ever have been  starting a game this season.   If we go into another season reliant on any of that pathetic list then squad depth will hit us yet again. 

48 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He’s comical to watch at times.. like you know he has the right ideas but he’s a bit too uncoordinated to execute what he wants to do half the time.

You know the world has gone to shit when I'm agreeing with aRdja. I really wanted him to do well against Watford but his brain is too fast for his feet and he runs down blind alleys too much he reminds me of Ryan Babbel.

2 minutes ago, J-V said:

He’s far better than Babbel and didn’t run down blind alleys the other evening.

Can Origi play at right back like Babbel could?

31 minutes ago, Grinch said:

So is Andy Carroll and practically every other premier League forward. 

None of Origi,  Sturridge or Solange should ever have been  starting a game this season.   If we go into another season reliant on any of that pathetic list then squad depth will hit us yet again. 

None of them are good enough to start games for a prolonged period of time, but between now and the end of the season only Origi is/will be/would have been of any use. Solanke doesn't score goals, and Sturridge can barely walk. 

We are going to have to use Origi occasionally or we'll continue to see the effects of a front three playing almost every minute of every game. Fuck getting to the last three or four games of the season and they're running on empty. 

I obviously agree with you that it's ridiculous that we're in this position. We play a front three, we're trying to challenge for major honours, and we don't actually have any adequate back up for that front three. It's absurd. Can you imagine Real Madrid or Bayern Munich just having no back up forwards that were good enough?

As a reserve I'd keep him. Even as 3rd choice. We still need a decent back up/starter to replace Sturridge and Ings but Divock has a go and his attitude is good. Never hear him moaning in the press and gets on with it on the pitch. Goal or two as well. Unless we get a cracking offer he should stay.

I have no idea what Origi's still doing here. He must be getting some unique bad career advice.

You know how you're a Belgian international and you have a fairly good reputation around Europe? Well, I think it's a really good idea for you to not play for two months, ocassionaly be brought into the best attack in Europe for 8 minutes here and there, maybe play the odd 90 minutes with a guy who is finished, and when you do play well or score, get dropped for a few months again - what do you reckon?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

I have no idea what Origi's still doing here. He must be getting some unique bad career advice.

You know how you're a Belgian international and you have a fairly good reputation around Europe? Well, I think it's a really good idea for you to not play for two months, ocassionaly be brought into the best attack in Europe for 8 minutes here and there, maybe play the odd 90 minutes with a guy who is finished, and when you do play well or score, get dropped for a few months again - what do you reckon?

Yeah, if he knows what's good for his career he'll go somewhere else where he can hope for consistent game time. 

Probably pretty reactionary but maybe he's better suited to the wing than at striker. He's not got the technique to be a consistent focal point but if he's got space out wide to run at people or if he's up against full backs jumping for far post crosses, he could do some damage. 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, if he knows what's good for his career he'll go somewhere else where he can hope for consistent game time. 

Probably pretty reactionary but maybe he's better suited to the wing than at striker. He's not got the technique to be a consistent focal point but if he's got space out wide to run at people or if he's up against full backs jumping for far post crosses, he could do some damage. 

Agreed.

He's not Henry, but a top 10 team somewhere in a good European league alongside forwards who feed him over the top and he'll be a consistent 10-15 league goal a season striker.

9 hours ago, Kevin D said:

I'm guessing our wages are pretty good for back up strikers.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:01 AM, A_S said:

He's probably the slowest of the 3 that started up front against Watford, and he isn't exactly slow. Some frightening pace to launch a counter attack there. 

I can't remember which website I was on but he was actually measured as the quickest of our players, albeit before we loaned him out last season.