You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Divock Origi

WhiskeyJar

Im not keen on this lad being built up as the answer to our scoring problems. Think too much might be expected of him too soon.

Same here; arriving in the harsh conditions of winter at a tough new league would present a huge challenge for a player of Origi's age. What Rodgers needs to do is sell all the three forwards he's brought to the club and buy one good striker mature and experienced and then recall Ibe, who shouldn't have been loaned out in favour of Balotelli or Lambert.

You could compare Falcao, Balotelli and Origi in terms of how much of a gamble they were/could be. 

Falcao has been a goal machine for a good few years now. He may go the way of Shevchenko and look totally out of his depth in England but he was a gamble worth taking for the Manc's. 5 million for a year's loan is a big fee(plus his wages on top of that which must be astronomical) but if he fires them into the top 4 it's money well spent. 

You look at the gamble we took and you think what in the actual fuck were we thinking. Balotelli makes no sense basically because he just doesn't fit into how we want to play.

But you look at Origi and you think(from what I've seen of him) the lad is quick,agile and will make the runs we need. Not like Balotelli who plays more like a traditional target man. 

Origi would be a gamble to bring in early but he fits into how we want to play which at least is something.

And if we pay an extra 5 million for him and he helps us get into the top 4 then it'd be money well spent. 

The same Falcao that once fully fit, will be scoring the goals that will get Man utd into the top 4, whilst we are relying on a 19 year old kid, for £1m less

Falcao's knees look like they've gone to me, I think the mancs have spunked their money there.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Lille a few times on BT Sport this season, and while you can see that there is potential, he has been distinctly poor, in a poor team it has to be said.

To be fair to the lad, he's been played all across the front line, never getting a real run of games in a settled position. The Welbeck comparisons earlier in the thread are certainly valid, at this point in his very young career.

Watched Lille a few times on BT Sport this season, and while you can see that there is potential, he has been distinctly poor, in a poor team it has to be said.

To be fair to the lad, he's been played all across the front line, never getting a real run of games in a settled position. The Welbeck comparisons earlier in the thread are certainly valid, at this point in his very young career.

Said it before, far too much is being expected by some fans for the lad.

Said it before, far too much is being expected by some fans for the lad.

I don't expect him to come in and solve all our problems, that of course would be preposterous to expect, and would be hugely unfair to a 19 year old kid. However, with the price comes expectancy. At £10 million, I think people have a right to expect more than what he has shown at Lille so far this season.

Had we managed to get him back from his loan earlier by paying an additional fee, up to £5 million was rumoured, then there would be even greater expectancy. £10-15 million is a whole load of money for a teenager, even in today's mixed up transfer market.

I don't expect him to come in and solve all our problems, that of course would be preposterous to expect, and would be hugely unfair to a 19 year old kid. However, with the price comes expectancy. At £10 million, I think people have a right to expect more than what he has shown at Lille so far this season.

Had we managed to get him back from his loan earlier by paying an additional fee, up to £5 million was rumoured, then there would be even greater expectancy. £10-15 million is a whole load of money for a teenager, even in today's mixed up transfer market.

Apologies if you thought my comment was directly at you, it wasnt. I think a lot of people do though in much the same way that sturridge's return is seen as kick starting our season.

It's all a ruse to get him here on the cheap in January. Genius.

You can't fault Rodgers dedication to the cause he has even been coaching him over the phone...

"We're in regular contact with the kid, he's a wonderful talent," the boss told journalists.

"I get all of his games downloaded from our recruitment team. We're in contact, which is great, and we're helping him with his game.

He has showed some bright spots but is in a team that is striggling to score goals.

Plenty of promise and i can see the Wellbeck comparisons and i dont think its a bad thing personally. We need more than him but Sturridge,Origi and another good striker isnt a bad forward line.

I don't expect him to come in and solve all our problems, that of course would be preposterous to expect, and would be hugely unfair to a 19 year old kid. However, with the price comes expectancy. At £10 million, I think people have a right to expect more than what he has shown at Lille so far this season.

Well we paid 16 for mario so if he performs like a 15 mill striker it wont be enuff.