You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Divock Origi

WhiskeyJar

Guest Numero Veinticinco

So when we signed him he can't play until next season? Point in that

I guess the idea is that we'll get the next Lukaku for 9m rather than 30m. 

• Upvote 1

I guess the idea is that we'll get the next Lukaku for 9m rather than 30m. 

Personally I think it is a disgrace that we didn't buy Lovren for 8m last year, and a similar disgrace that we are buying a young talent that isn't quite ready for us this year. It's all just bloody disgraceful.

• Upvote 4

The business strategy is obvious here. Just hope we don't turn into some feeder club. Although I guess if you don't own oil fields n' shit then you gotta make money some how.

But they make money in exactly this way. Speculate on young players, loan them out and fatten them up and then sell them for what is hopefully a big profit.

I hope this isn't our strategy, though. I hope we've found a player in Origi.

• 2 weeks later...

Signed for us today but he will be loaned back.

Divock Origi: Liverpool sign Belgium striker from Lille for £10m

Liverpool have signed Belgium striker Divock Origi from Lille for £10m.
The 19-year-old has agreed a five-year contract but will remain at the French club on loan next season and move to Anfield in 2015.
"I am very happy and delighted a club as big as Liverpool showed interest in me," he said. "I'm very excited."
Origi played in all five of Belgium's games at the 2014 Fifa World Cup during their run to the quarter-finals and scored in the 1-0 win over Russia.

The worry is we make signing young potential our thing and flog them for a small fortune when they are good enough, using that money to buy another load of young talent to do the same and only using a bit of each sale actually improving the immediate team. I don't want us to be about flipping players for a steady income. Not that there's anything wrong with signing young potential its great if we can spot genuine talent if its alongside buying genuine quality for right now. We gots ta strike a balance. I've not much clue about origi if he's worth 10 million of this years budget or not. We do need a striker for this season though.

The worry is we make signing young potential our thing and flog them for a small fortune when they are good enough, using that money to buy another load of young talent to do the same and only using a bit of each sale actually improving the immediate team.

I think they have and will improve the first team though. Look at the first group of players brought in by Rodgers et al.

Borini

Allen

Assaidi

Coutinho

Sturridge

Two have improved the first 11 - one will be in the squad and the other two are on their way out for a profit after loans.

Next group

Alberto

Aspas

Mignolet

Ilori

Sakho

Again, two of these improved the first 11, one is for the future and the other two have been flogged off for the year, see above.

Hard to get excited about how we've just spent £10m.

Seems crazy, that £10m could have been spent on Ben Davies. Again, a player for the future whose value should rise, but we could also have got some tangible fucking use out of him in this campaign.

We HAVE to be still in the market for a striker, have to be, because quite frankly we're dead in the water if Sturridge picks up a knock or if he gets tired. Remember the number of times Sturridge was subbed with 15-20 remaining?

Obviously, trust Rodgers implicitly, but it's very fucking obvious that Sturridge and Lambert aren't a season-long solution to a full EPL and CL campaign. Borini is still here but likely only the next fortnight.

Hard to get excited about how we've just spent £10m.

Seems crazy, that £10m could have been spent on Ben Davies. Again, a player for the future whose value should rise, but we could also have got some tangible fucking use out of him in this campaign.

We HAVE to be still in the market for a striker, have to be, because quite frankly we're dead in the water if Sturridge picks up a knock or if he gets tired. Remember the number of times Sturridge was subbed with 15-20 remaining?

Obviously, trust Rodgers implicitly, but it's very fucking obvious that Sturridge and Lambert aren't a season-long solution to a full EPL and CL campaign. Borini is still here but likely only the next fortnight.

Do you remember how pissed off he looked each time he was subbed? Last season we generally had 8 lads who where never substituted, the keeper, back 4, henderson, gerrard and suarez, it was normal him to walk, this year the 3 getting hooked will be lallana, markovic and coutihinio, Daniel will finish a lot more games. We will sign someone to share the load, I've no doubt about that.

I'm very pleased by this signing. He is a good player right now and would not look out of place in the Prem, but it is the right move to give him more games at Lille as he could go on to be something special. He is fast, can finish, moves well, and can play through the middle or running the channels. He holds the ball up and is strong for his age too. Very astute business. 

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

how can this be good business...

we need a striker...so we've spent £10m.....and we still need a striker!

Good business would have been to put the £10m in some high interest investment....then we'd have about £12m to buy a striker in a years time...

What about if he gets injured in the year he's out on loan?

Its a akin to needing a car for work....going to the garage handing over your wedge....saying to the bloke "its ok...i'll get it next year".......then getting the bus for work but buying the Exchange and Mart!

Barking!