You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lazar Marković

WhiskeyJar

Having never seen him play the one description that stayed with was someone describing him as being 'Gareth bale fast'.

Had a few opportunities to stretch his legs last night and got reeled in pretty easily.

On first viewing I'd be a little concerned.

He's one of six players who's best position is as a number 10 - Sterling/Suso/Lallana/Coutinho/Markovic/Gerrard.

Which isn't ideal.

He's one of six players who's best position is as a number 10 - Sterling/Suso/Lallana/Coutinho/Markovic/Gerrard.

Which isn't ideal.

All the other players mentioned can play effectively in other positions.

Any sign of this talent, moof?

Yeah, plenty for Benfica last year.

It comes down to if you'd rather trust the opinion of experts who've seen the lad play numerous times or twats who want to write him off after one and a half games.

I'll wait and see how he turns out.

He's the type of player that needs to settle. I think right now he's over-thinking everything and ends up doing the simplest thing so that he doesn't draw the crowd's ire. A bit like Hendo when he first came. I see an intelligent and very talented player who will turn into a star for us. If we had been on a better run and had better results, he could have chipped in with no pressure but right now, we are looking for top performers to pick us up. I don't see him doing that yet, but the potential is definitely there. 

Yeah, plenty for Benfica last year.

It comes down to if you'd rather trust the opinion of experts who've seen the lad play numerous times or twats who want to write him off after one and a half games.

I'll wait and see how he turns out.

Not writing him off but don't see him as a top European talent. He's clearly light years behind Sterling, for example.

Any player needs at least half a season to show you what he can do. Look how much time we gave Downing? If we can give that shithouse time, then I certainly don't mind waiting for Markovic to settle. It's frustrating that he hasn't been more exciting so far, but he has to be given some time to adjust to the new league, and way more pressure than he was under at Benfica. He's got it, it's whether or not he can mentally adjust. I think he will. 

I'm trusting the twats then

Youre welcome to.

I'm never going to pretend to understand why some people are willing to get right on a players back from his first performance. To me it's utterly fucking bizarre yet I'm seen as wrong un or a 'superfan' for having a bit of patience and generally not being a massive fucking whopper.

The guy has bags of potential and ability. He's been bought through slowly especially at Benfica where he was usually a sub. We've, out of necessity, chucked Sterling in at the deep end early on. Plus I'm sure some mong created a "How long can we carry Sterling" thread and its only really from half a season out of 2 that he is now seen as the saviour of all things Liverpool and England. If Markovic can adapt both mentally and physically we've got a player with a big future on our hands. So there's no need for some to be kneejerk cunts as per usual, he's trying to adapt and is currently in the middle of our worst spell for well over a season where only our fullbacks are playing with any credit.

• Upvote 1

The guy has bags of potential and ability. 

That was what my original argument, that it was potential only at this stage, but I was told in reply that he was a top European talent.  So all I'm asking is, where are the signs of this top European talent hitting the ground running? Because I can't see any.

I'm not writing him off or being a kneejerk cunt, just trying to establish whether we've bought one for the now or the future.  

Personally I think the hype these players get (i.e. typically the young, foreign and expensive ones, like Sakho for instance)) causes more damage than a healthy bit of skepticism.  They are built up to be world class before they've kicked a ball for us. 

Youre welcome to.

I'm never going to pretend to understand why some people are willing to get right on a players back from his first performance. To me it's utterly fucking bizarre yet I'm seen as wrong un or a 'superfan' for having a bit of patience and generally not being a massive fucking whopper.

no, the simple fact is that you're right, while they're restarts.  

Ultimately, people should be judging players on what they do for us, not what they may or may not have done for their previous clubs.  Preconceptions are shit.  

So you have no view at all on players we sign?

Surely if we signed Jon Parkin it would be fairly understandable if you had some reservations. 

He actually reminded me a bit of Sterling when he was going through his tough patch. He was playing it safe too often and seemed really hesitant to shoot with the opportunities he had. It means nothing yet though in the grand scheme of things. Nobody has a clue how good he is yet.

Yeah, same.

Mental how Sterling went from raw talent that did loads of naive stuff, to Stewart Downing, and then to phenomenal top class player within about 12 months.

• Upvote 1