You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Unable to work for a year

Remmie

My fiancée is moving here from Ukraine in 2 weeks and due to her visa conditions, she won't be able to work for at least a year. Just found out this includes voluntary work as well for some reason.

I'm looking for advice on how to make her as employable as possible during that time for when she can work and any legal money making options she might be able to pursue....

Studying seems an obvious option, but not sure if her tourist status will increase costs. In terms of earning money I'm thinking of pursuing the latest software from the guy doing bonus bagging.

If you get married within the next 12 months, isn't it possible for her to change her residency status by applying for citizenship, thus overriding her visa restrictions? I think that's how it works, but you only really hear about things like this when it comes to passport and immigration scams. The actual details and legal side of things often get ignored as people only see the headline 'outrage'. Where's Red Nick when you need him?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

[something to do with prostitution]

[something to do with drug dealing]

[something to do with peado rings]

Studying seems an obvious option, but not sure if her tourist status will increase costs. In terms of earning money I'm thinking of pursuing the latest software from the guy doing bonus bagging.

A student visa should be a good way to do this - especially if she has you as a sponsor.

I have worked at the International Office of my Uni for a few years (this is in Germany though, I don't know how much it differs in the UK)

But usually you need to make sure of two things:

1. Is her education sufficient to be accepted at unis in the UK. (I would reckon she needs at least a bachelor or equivalent to be accepted - or would have to do some preliminary courses) Also the school, uni she visited may be a problem (lots of dodgy stuff in Russia/Ukraine/Belarus that isn't fully recognized)

2. Is her English good enough (TOEFL)

My fiancée is moving here from Ukraine in 2 weeks and due to her visa conditions, she won't be able to work for at least a year. Just found out this includes voluntary work as well for some reason.

I'm looking for advice on how to make her as employable as possible during that time for when she can work and any legal money making options she might be able to pursue....

Does she enjoy writing?

If I had a year when I couldn't work, I would try my hand at screenplay writing. If that's not her thing, then short stories, writing about coming over from a conflict zone and, of course, blogging.

Do unis still run all those jarg courses for foreigners, or have the government put a stop to that?

My girlfriend unwittingly started on one of those courses at UCLan a few years ago, her and this gay lad were the only English people there, most of the rest were Chinese with only a rudimentary grasp of English.

This obviously led to numerous hilarious situations, like when the lecturer was discussing inductive reasoning and Popper's black swan problem and one of the Chinese piped up: "Why you want to count white swan?"

The final straw was when she turned up for a class presentation, and none of the Chinese turned up. The lecturer said that the Chinese never turn up for presentations and admitted the qualification wasn't worth the paper it was written on (his exact words).

Didn't stop UCLan trying to bill her for the cost of the course when she jacked it in, of course. The bastard shysters.