You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Red Dead Redemption

Section_31

I'm still not loving it. With the first game, I was more invested in the story than any other videogame I'd ever played (only The Last Of Us comes close since, too). I don't normally like open world games as I like games with more of a defined structure (I want someone talented to tell me a story, not have me make my own), but the first Red Dead got the balance so spot on that I loved doing every single side quest as I thought they all added to the story and overall experience.

With this one, I feel like the actual gameplay mechanics haven't moved on in 8 years - every mission is just break cover, dead eye, back to cover and repeat - I think I've only died about three times during missions, and I'm halfway through chapter 3 (oh, and it is important to note that I am SHITE at shooters). And because I am not invested in the story, I'm finding myself less inclined to bother with the exploration side of things. It is an absolutely extraordinary technical accomplishment, but for me it is nowhere near as good as the original as a game. In fact, at times it feels almost like playing something like Dragon's Lair, as if all you are really doing is pressing some buttons to link cut scenes.

(there's no way I'm giving up on it though; I've been looking forward to it for too long to do that)

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Bought myself a nice American standardbred last night, and I named him Virgil.

Is that because he's held up by strings and lands Thunderbird 1 by the pool?

I didn't realise that Rockstar North had a hand in Red Dead Redemption and they were formerly known as DMA Design. They of Lemmings. Lemmings to Grand Theft Auto to Red Dead Redemption. Who would have thought.

I’m Struggling to stay interested in this at the moment. I stick it on, do a mission or side mission and then fuck it off and go to Battlefront II or PES 18. I don’t know if that’s because I know I can only restrict myself to a time limit during the week or not. I’ll persevere with it as I’m not letting £60 go to waste. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/22/2018 at 5:47 PM, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I’m Struggling to stay interested in this at the moment. I stick it on, do a mission or side mission and then fuck it off and go to Battlefront II or PES 18. I don’t know if that’s because I know I can only restrict myself to a time limit during the week or not. I’ll persevere with it as I’m not letting £60 go to waste. 

Agree with that Skids. It looks incredible, fast track is a massive bonus and Arthur is sound but in my case its finding the time to invest into it at the moment. I tend to get an hour here or there and i'll usually throw PES 18/19 or Forza Horizon 4 on, something i can just get into and get out of reasonably quickly. Its virtually impossible to do that with RDR2

• Upvote 1

I've not touched it since the first week of release, it's just too slow paced for me and I've not really found myself being drawn back into in. 

In also limited to an hour, maybe two if I'm lucky so very much quick fix approach and play a couple of games but no enough time to properly invest in it. 

31 minutes ago, Sweeney287 said:

I've not touched it since the first week of release, it's just too slow paced for me and I've not really found myself being drawn back into in. 

In also limited to an hour, maybe two if I'm lucky so very much quick fix approach and play a couple of games but no enough time to properly invest in it. 

Same. I was forced to stop playing it in the living room of an evening because of that ‘I’m a Celebrity’ shite. Once it ended I didn’t have the desire to pick it back up. Last time I was on it I took the train down to the main city, blew all my money in a clothes shop, then headed further south to open up the map and killed a few crocodiles. 

As others have said, you need hours to sink into it and I’m too old and tired to be sat up until 3am playing on a PlayStation. Missus and kids are away during half term though so I’ll maybe dust it off and try and get back into it. 

I finished and it definitely picks up pace after a while.

I thought it was brilliant, I took my time and didn’t plow through it. It was just like playing along with a film.

I loved the Micah missions, guaranteed bloodbath.

Online is slim pickings for now but will revisit when they add more content.

• 7 months later...

Two completey diffent games

RDR1 if you want a more structured, though open easy to play game. 

RDR2 if you like very long open world where you spends hours just travelling around, doing side quests, hunting etc

I love both. 

• 2 months later...

Interesting reading this thread from release, I bought it on day one got someway into chapter two and then life got in the way but my opinion echoed may other peoples in here. It just feels like an interactive cut scene. I was going to pick it back up at the weekend but I can see myself getting the platinum trophy for Bloodborne and finishing the remastered version of The Last of Us before I even consider picking it back up. It's such a shame as it doesnt really feel like a game when you come from playing Bloodborne & Dark Souls series to RDR2 the pacing is painful.

• 5 months later...