You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Red Dead Redemption

Section_31

11 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Missus and kids are gonna be away until the Saturday night. Dickhead here has agreed to decorate the bedroom while the house is empty, forgetting that this was going to arrive in the post. 

Tell her you’re not feeling too good and need to rest in bed to try and knock it on the head.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:46 AM, Jennings said:

The online bit is the bit I'm looking forward to the most. I play a lot of CSGO and the social side of gaming is the best bit.

Qwikage (a poster on here) plays CSGO too - we play most evenings. He's getting Red Dead too - so we can add him to the posse. He's in the construction industry and already a bit of a cowboy! 

Oi! I resemble that remark. Anyway count me in.

I suppose gun slinger will be an apt description as i would be better throwing my gun coz i can't aim for shit.

54 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I still haven't pre-ordered, I was hoping there'd be some kind of decent deal just before release but it's looking unlikely now.

It's going to sell like hot cakes so there's no need for any retailer to slash prices. They are going to make a mint out of it.

20 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

It's going to sell like hot cakes so there's no need for any retailer to slash prices. They are going to make a mint out of it.

True, but some times there's serious competition for pre-orders when something's a sure thing, and the price hovers nearer the £40 mark.

Either way, I think I'll wait until release day and see if there are any supermarket deals about.

3 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

True, but some times there's serious competition for pre-orders when something's a sure thing, and the price hovers nearer the £40 mark.

Either way, I think I'll wait until release day and see if there are any supermarket deals about.

That's pretty much what I'll be doing, there may also be some special trade-in deals. I think there was one with Game where certain titles traded in you could get RDR2 for £25. I would be all over that if I could find the details and it was still active.

On 10/6/2018 at 10:26 AM, Vincent Vega said:

Rumours that the original Red Dead will be incorporated into the new game. The new game is set before the previous one, so I’d assume the old game opens up on completion of the new one. 

Hope that’s true. I gave my brother in law my PS3 and a load of games, including the original. It’d be ace if it came bundled in on this. 

I watched a summary of the original Red Dead Redemption, to refresh my memory. I don't feel like playing it through again. I especially didn't like the ending.

I can't wait for the online mode. I am hoping you can develop your character a bit. Maybe there could be some player economics involved too.

Online play is my favourite.

I find if you get in with a decent bunch of lads then it's good fun. The folks I play with are all middle-aged - except Qwikage is over 100 years old at least.

There are a load of twats. In fact I'm probably one - but I find them easy to ignore and filter out.

A mate sent me this regarding the gameplay. 

After a successul hunt and kill you can examine the animal to see a rating of 1 to 3 stars to inform you the worth of the pelt and meat.

·         If you hunt with a rifle and plug away at a deer the rating will naturally be 1 star and worth little to nothing. Use a bow though for 1 shot to the heart or head and it'll be a 3 star kill.

·         If you lose your horse or are just generally lost on foot, you can call out to a passerby on horse back or a wagon and ask for a ride into the nearest town. Source

Survival mechanics:

·         Arthur must eat in order to survive.

·         Arthur must rest or will become tired.

·         Being tired will cause Arthur to suffer from stamina penalties, blurry vision, and will look visibly tired.

·         Arthur will gain weight by over-eating, and lose weight via physical exertion/not eating.

·         Stamina is limited, and is affected by weight, fatigue and temperature.

·         Arthur is affected by the climate (wearing heavy clothing in hot environments will cause stamina penalties, as will wearing too little in cold environments).

·         When you go into cold weather/hot weather, you will automatically equip/unequip a coat (not confirmed but believed to be optional as stamina penalty is a thing).

·         Health, Stamina, and Deadeye meters affected by different "Cores." Example, health core determines how quickly health regenerates

·         To keep cores in good shape, one must level up strength, grit, dexterity, and instinct attributes. Source

·         Arthur is an accomplished cook and can cook a variety of dishes that can cause a variety of improvements.

Weapons:

·         Weapons will degrade over time which will affect the performance of the gun.

·         Arthur must maintain his weapons in order to maximise their efficiency.

·         A badly performing gun will jam and not be as accurate, although will never break entirely. Inventory space is limited. You are limited to carrying 2 one-handed guns, and 2 two-handed weapons (not including knives, fire bottles, etc).

·         Unlike previous Rockstar games, you can limit the amount of weapons you carry by leaving them in your saddle bags. For instance, carrying a single pistol.

NPC Interaction:

·         Some NPC interaction is automatic, such as teasing John about his scars as he walks by.

·         Other interaction is manually done by the player (e.g. greeting or complimenting someone).

·         Arthur can talk to individuals, or multiple people at the same time (if you greet two people having a conversation for instance, they will both acknowledge you).

·         When talking to people, you are not forced to stand still unlike other games (for example, you can pour yourself a coffee and continue a conversation).

·         Everyone you meet will react differently. Some people will engage you in conversation, others will tell you to go away. Some NPCs will back down when threatened, others will stand up for themselves.

·         You can join ongoing conversations between 2 or more people (e.g. if someone notices you from a previous interaction and mentions you to his friend sat beside him).

·         Native Americans are confirmed in the game. Source

·         Dialogue changes if you have the mini-map turned off. NPCs give directions to locations instead of a marker being placed on your mini-map

Consequence

·         NPCs have memory. If you start a fight in a saloon and return another day, the bartender will ask you not to start any trouble. Depending on the severity of past actions, they may tell you to leave or call a Sheriff.

·         You can encounter an individual more than once.

·         NPCs you help may later reward you if you stumble upon them again. One article mentioned

·         Your appearance has an effect on how others treat you. If you are covered in mud, shopkeepers may refuse to serve you.

·         NPCs can be affiliated. If you kill someone, their cousin might come back to avenge them.

·         Openly carrying a firearm will elicit different reactions than if you were to approach someone with your weapon holstered.

Customization:

·         Rockstar's PR team laughed when asked if there's lots of customization options, implying an undeniable "yes".

·         You can roll your sleeves up, roll them down, tuck your trousers into your boots, the possibilities are vast. Hair/facial hair grows over time.

·         If you want a certain hair/beard style, you must wait until it is long enough (unlike previous titles, you cannot walk into a barber with a bald head and leave with an afro!).

·         In order for Arthur to style himself, he must have the appropriate items, such as hair gel bought from stores.

·         Beard styles are not limited to short/medium/long, customization allows you to decide how each part of the beard looks (e.g. trimmed sides, mustache flicked upwards, long moustache with stubble, etc).

Violence

·         You can blow off heads and limbs with the appropriate weapons.

·         You can deform peoples' heads, e.g. by shooting someone in the face with a pistol repeatedly.

·         Cuts and bruises form during combat. Punch someone in the face and their skin will be visibly damaged.

·         Enemies won't always die straight away, but may stumble on the ground before bleeding out.

·         You get covered in your enemies blood, e.g. by punching someone and getting blood on your glove.

·         Animals also get covered in blood. Wolves for instance will have blood cover their mouth when attacking Arthur.

Wildlife:

·         Animals are more likely to attack you if they're hungry. Rockstar reps were quoted saying "the bear will already will probably kill you, but if it's angry and hungry, it's definitely going to kill you".

·         Animals will run away if they get scared. Fighting a big animal isn't always an instant death sentence if you manage to scare it before it gets close.

·         You can wear animal carcasses as a hat.

·         After a successful hunt and kill you can examine the animal to see a rating of 1 to 3 stars to inform you the worth of the pelt and meat.

·         If you hunt with a rifle and plug away at a deer the rating will naturally be 1 star and worth little to nothing. Use a bow though for 1 shot to the heart or head and it'll be a 3 star kill. source

Misc:

·         You can swim, but "not very well".

·         You can pick up peoples' hats and wear them.

·         You have to wear hats for a certain length of time before it "becomes yours".

·         You can buy tonics to increase the rate as which your hair grows.

·         First person mode returns from GTA V.

·         Buying items "could not be more organic", whereby you can walk around a store and pick items up, or browse a catalog instead.

·         You can zoom in on catalog items and read more about them.

·         If you lose your horse or are just generally lost on foot, you can call out to a passerby on horse back or a wagon and ask for a ride into the nearest town. Source

• Upvote 1