You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez bite v2

Chippo

He's quality, I'd put up with a few nibbles and a few bans for the privilege of watching him on our pitch. Why don't FIFA or the FA threaten a suspended sentence that doesn't appear low they're happy making up his punishment as they go along.

I'd agree IF that was all that would happen, but he's used up almost all of his lives now. If he does it again, he's going to end up with some mega ban. Given that, let some other club take that huge hit. Liverpool have backed him to the hilt, but they can't get dragged down with him.

£80m says he's worth the risk.

How?

It's only 80m if you cash in on him (and more likely 60m).

If you don't cash in, and take your chances, then IF he does it again, you'll end up with a player banned for a whole season - effectively useless, and his value going down even more.

The gamble with his termperament HAS paid off pretty well for LFC I'd say, but the risk is getting bigger and bigger each time. It's a shame, but I reckon it's time to cash in your winnings. Sanchez wouldn't be a bad part ex

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Statistics can be used for anything...

You Have A Higher Chance Of Being Bitten By Uruguay’s Luis Suarez Than By A Shark

June 27, 2014 | by Lisa Winter

Luis_Su%C3%A1rez_vs._Netherlands_%28crop Photo credit: Jimmy Baikovicius via Wikimedia Commons

When Uruguay takes the pitch this weekend against Colombia in the World Cup, they will do it without star forward Luis Suarez. Why? Because FIFA banned him for four months from so much as stepping foot inside a stadium for biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini. On purpose. While playing soccer. Seriously. To make matters worse, this wasn’t even his first offense. This wasn’t even his second offense. This is seriously the third time that Suarez, who also plays for Liverpool, has bit an opponent during a match.

Ian Steadman from New Statesmen got curious about the sheer odds of the danger an opponent has of being bitten by Suarez, and how it compares, say, to the odds of getting bitten by a shark. 

Since 2005, Suarez has played in 441 senior matches for Uruguay’s national team and various clubs. Assuming 11 starting players and 3 substitutions per game, 6,160 players have gone up against Suarez and have been at risk of getting bit. That puts the odds Suarez biting an opponent right around 1 in 2,000. The odds of getting killed by a shark while swimming in the ocean? 1 in 3.7 million

However, the numbers get a little closer if you consider the odds of getting bitten by a shark, even just nipped at. At New Smyrna Beach, Florida, regarded as the shark attack capital of the world, the odds of getting nibbled by a shark if the 22,464 residents go swimming just once per year are 1 in 2,808 on a slow year or 1 in 800 during a record year. Overall, it averages out about 1 in 2,000, just like Suarez. Realistically, the odds may be lower as many people likely go swimming more than once per year.

Even still, the odds of getting bitten by Suarez during a match are still higher than being struck by lightning (1 in 10,000), getting in an plane crash (1 in 11 million), or getting murdered in the Americas (1 in 6,100). However, Suarez isn’t nearly as dangerous as Mike Tyson. The odds of getting bit during a boxing match against Iron Mike is 1 in 50.

Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/you-have-higher-chance-being-bitten-uruguay%E2%80%99s-luis-suarez-shark#DPjLtiwXPJOCdDpQ.99
  • Upvote 1

How?

If you don't cash in, and take your chances, then IF he does it again, you'll end up with a player banned for a whole season - effectively useless, and his value going down even more.

The gamble with his termperament HAS paid off pretty well for LFC I'd say, but the risk is getting bigger and bigger each time. It's a shame, but I reckon it's time to cash in your winnings. Sanchez wouldn't be a bad part ex

£60m? Cunt off.

How?

Just out of curiosity how would you like it if I were to tell you that City should sell their best player for a cut price because the cunts at FIFA went super overboard with a ban he didn't really warrant? Let's couple that with the fact that the ban shouldn't even have effected your club in the first place.

Again to clarify, I don't think you mean to come off like that at all but surely you can see how little you would give a fuck if a fan of another club thinks you should cash in?

If he was low risk, you might get 80m. You will not get that now. Not a chance.

It's not about saying he's not a great player - he absolutely is, but he's a risk and that will be used against LFC in the bargaining.

And, if Liverpool DO decide he's too big a risk now, that won't help.

I'll show my arse in M&S shop window if they get 80m for him.

• Downvote 2

Just out of curiosity how would you like it if I were to tell you that City should sell their best player for a cut price because the cunts at FIFA went super overboard with a ban he didn't really warrant? Let's couple that with the fact that the ban shouldn't even have effected your club in the first place.

Again to clarify, I don't think you mean to come off like that at all but surely you can see how little you would give a fuck what if a fan of another club thinks you should cash in?

Wouldn't bother me at all, I'm no making the decisions, neither are you. It's just a debate as far as I'm concerned.

You can find as many Liverpool fans debating the 'sell or keep' topic, just as you could with Tevez and Toure at City. It really makes no difference who's arguing it, Liverpool, City, United fans... it's the same to me.

What will be will be - none of us actually have any say - which is why it's pointless getting too het up about it on an internet forum.

If he was low risk, you might get 80m. You will not get that now. Not a chance.

It's not about saying he's not a great player - he absolutely is, but he's a risk and that will be used against LFC in the bargaining.

And, if Liverpool DO decide he's too big a risk now, that won't help.

I'll show my arse in M&S shop window if they get 80m for him.

Nobody gives a fuck what you think. Or what Barca think. If you want the player you pay the release clause, which is £80m. If you don't want him then fuck off.

• Upvote 1

This is incredible. How can this be real life?

Oliver Leach @SkyLeacho · 1h
.@FIFAcom also say if @LFC want to have their team photo at Anfield, Luis Suarez isn't allowed to be in it.

Oliver Leach @SkyLeacho · 49m
Me: can Luis #Suarez take part in Liverpool fc's merchandise campaign for new season? FIFA: No.

Oliver Leach @SkyLeacho · 49m
Me: Can #Suarez Take part in charitable events with, say, disadvantaged children in Merseyside? IF IT IS NOT A CHARITY OF ANY FOOTBALL BODY

liver Leach @SkyLeacho45m
#fifa also confirmed Suarez isn't allowed to train with LFC during ban. So he might stay in shape, but is he going to be match sharp?

Oliver Leach @SkyLeacho · 39m
.@FIFAcom have though told me that if #Suarez wants a kick around in the park, he is allowed. (Thought best to check)

Oliver Leach @SkyLeacho · 32m
Turns out Luis #Suarez isn't allowed in the Liverpool team photo regardless of where it is taken.

Oh dear! Just been on Sky News that the ban extends to any merchandising campaign, and that he is also banned from appearing in any official club/team photos. 

Utterly draconian. If he stays, I really want us to take on FIFA. Utterly ridiculous sanctions.

Corrupt fucking cunts.

There is NO chance they can enforce that. That's just beyond ridiculous.

How?

City fans would of course love him to go.

Nobody gives a fuck what you think. Or what Barca think. If you want the player you pay the release clause, which is £80m. If you don't want him then fuck off.

It really is that simple.  Lets hope our hierarchy have the backbone to stick to it as well.

It doesn't work like that!

Whatever fee is agreed (if they go down that path) is between the two parties, it doesn't have to reach the release clause figure!

Nobody knows what Liverpool will do, or what fee they'd deem acceptable. Release clause or not, it's irrelevant.

City fans would of course love him to go.

Some would, some wouldn't. I'd prefer to see him stay in the PL with Liverpool, just like I'd prefer to have seen Tevez stay, but there comes a tipping point when the cons outweigh the pros, and that the debate here isn't it? so far it's worked out pretty well for Liverpool since buying him, but he's close to getting a truly serious ban if he does it again - how far do Liverpool want to push their luck?

If they take the gamble and it pays off... he could win you a league. If it doesn't pay off, and he does it again, it could cost you a player for a year, and a massive drop in his value.

I think it's a hell of a gamble. It's not the same gamble as last year now, the picture has changed!

He couldn't do many things on the pitch that would be considered by the press, and governing bodies, to be more stupid. He could, obviously, do lots of things that are far more dangerous to opponents. Stuff that goes on in most games.

We really do need to be channelling his anger differently. Something more acceptable in the eyes that count (the media, and the authorities that they influence). I vote for elbowing.

I would say spitting but it's not very original is it...