You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If Roy Keane played for us

Kevin D

Would you like Keane  

60 members have voted

1. 1. So?

• Yes. He'd be our cunt.
    • No. He is a prick.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Petit and Vieira had both the workrate and the style wheres Scholes and Keane were a mixture of the two. Its also impossible to measure what being World and European champions can do to the confidence of the French players.

They both went into that World Cup having just won the double with Arsenal. Both full of confidence and rightly so because they were superb. 

You are right in that the Scholes/Keane partnership was different. 

A peak Gerrard/Keane partnership would have been something to behold and is my CM pairing if I ever do a best ever Prem 11. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve often heard people say Best wasted his talent and/or didn’t play at the top for long enough. Probably because he left Manchester United in his late twenties. What these people either choose to ignore or don’t realise, he played well over 400 games for them.

Yeah agree but United for most of that time was carcrash central and for someone with an addictive personality, it was devastating for him. 

I've enjoyed some of your greatest ever teams of other clubs. Would Best be in your greatest ever 11 of players never to play in a world cup?

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

They both went into that World Cup having just won the double with Arsenal. Both full of confidence and rightly so because they were superb. 

You are right in that the Scholes/Keane partnership was different. 

A peak Gerrard/Keane partnership would have been something to behold and is my CM pairing if I ever do a best ever Prem 11. 

Agreed! You quim.

45 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

The same can be said for loads of brilliant British and Irish players, though. 

It can. Utd went downhill quite fast after winning the European Cup in 1968.  Someone of his immense talent should have left well earlier. Or even when he did he was only 28 and still, age wise, at his peak and so should have been going to another huge club.  Instead he quit for a bit and then joined Stockport. I think it's ok to say he wasted his talent when his talent was at the level it was.

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I thought him and Scholes were often found seriously wanting when they were up against Petit and Vieira in their pomp. Keane was skilled but most of his positive attributes lay around his workrate and drive and ability to get more out of the players around him. I never made a habit of watching them play except when they were against us, but suspect he didn't have many games where he couldn't be arsed turning up. 

I felt that petit and Vieira period didn't last all that long. It could be my mind playing tricks with me, but I thought it was maybe only 3 seasons, so scholars and Keane had more longevity and did it against other midfields. But there's a reason they didn't win more European cups in my opinion and it's they weren't quite good enough in midfield in general. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Can we all just agree Keane is a prick though?

He is deffo a prick. But he's a pretty entertaining one at the moment. I find that lot really boring to watch, the highlight is deffo Keane slating them. 

28 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

It can. Utd went downhill quite fast after winning the European Cup in 1968.  Someone of his immense talent should have left well earlier. Or even when he did he was only 28 and still, age wise, at his peak and so should have been going to another huge club.  Instead he quit for a bit and then joined Stockport. I think it's ok to say he wasted his talent when his talent was at the level it was.

Yep - they turned to shit overnight.

Who would he have gone too? I think by then he was a daily drinker to extremes.

On 23/06/2020 at 14:19, The Gaul said:

But Keane wasn't really that professional before joining the mancs was he? He was a piss head at forest wasn't he? He might have been as bad as the rest of them if he'd have come and settled down with Neil Ruddock.

Ferguson was definitely the right manager for him, same as with Cantona.

I still think we’d be sealing a higher number than 19 shortly if we had him instead of Jamie Redknapp. 

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

And that's where the "wasted talent" thing comes in.  He was probably the most talented player in the league, and yet I doubt anyone came in for him.  Shanks certainly wouldn't have. 

My comment on "He should have left" was presuming an alternative history where he wasn't a massive pisshead but instead a Keegan type who wanted to eek everything out of his talent.  In that case, he could have gone anywhere.  Look at the start of the 1970s and Ajax winning 3 European Cups in a row, and then Bayern doing the same. A focused Best would have added to their teams.  Even if he didn't go abroad, he could have been that last cog to get Leeds over the line to a European Cup in the mid-1970s?  Instead he was stuck at an awful Man Utd team until they were relegated.

19 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Celtic. He would have fitted right in down the East-End of Glasgow. He looked good in the hoops. 

CueWUmwXgAAgtH2.jpg:large

s-l400.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Yeah agree but United for most of that time was carcrash central and for someone with an addictive personality, it was devastating for him. 

I've enjoyed some of your greatest ever teams of other clubs. Would Best be in your greatest ever 11 of players never to play in a world cup?

Crikey, an all-time of XI players who never played in a World Cup, that’s a tough one.

Clemence or Southall

Lawrenson  McNeill  Van Dijk   Hughes

Brady   Schuster  Giles   Best

Di Stefano  Rush

Clemence qualifies as he was a member of the England 1982 squad, but obviously didn’t play.

Emlyn Hughes was a member of the England 1970 squad, but didn’t play. 

Jimmy Johnstone (member of the Scotland 1974 squad, but didn’t play) is very unlucky to miss out.

Included Di Stefano on reputation alone, but could have picked any one of Weah, Simonsen, Litmanen or Cantona.

36 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Crikey, that’s a tough one.

Clemence or Southall

Di Stefano  Rush

Clemence qualifies as he was a member of the England 1982 squad, but obviously didn’t play.

Jimmy Johnstone (member of the Scotland 1974 squad, but didn’t play) is very unlucky to miss out.

Included Di Stefano on reputation alone, but could have picked any one of Weah, Simonsen, Litmanen or Cantona.

Beautiful team that. 

I reckon that team wins a world cup. I can't think of many teams that would have beaten them.

There’s a short video of his greatest game ever against Juve in that semi final in 99.  It’s got some special effects on it which aren’t even the funniest thing.  It’s that they are meant to be the highlights of the performance.  Go and watch it, it’s fucking gold.  Honestly if somebody turned up at my Saturday side and kicked the ball with the technique he uses they would get laughed off the pitch it’s that bad.  He was literally a tackle and pass it 5 yard merchant.

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Crikey, an all-time of XI players who never played in a World Cup, that’s a tough one.

Clemence or Southall

Di Stefano  Rush

That’s a great team. Could have a shout for Giggs too

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, The Guest said:

There’s a short video of his greatest game ever against Juve in that semi final in 99.  It’s got some special effects on it which aren’t even the funniest thing.  It’s that they are meant to be the highlights of the performance.  Go and watch it, it’s fucking gold.  Honestly if somebody turned up at my Saturday side and kicked the ball with the technique he uses they would get laughed off the pitch it’s that bad.  He was literally a tackle and pass it 5 yard merchant.

You don't play for a Saturday team. Now go and make your bed before your mum brings your tea up. 

On 24/06/2020 at 15:19, Bjornebye said:

Celtic. He would have fitted right in down the East-End of Glasgow. He looked good in the hoops. 

CueWUmwXgAAgtH2.jpg:large

s-l400.jpg

Just by looking at them photos you wouldn't believe George enjoyed the odd pint.