You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Moreno

WhiskeyJar

Our attempts at transfer deals must be comedy gold for our rivals. Instead of doing a quick deal Liverpool coming in for a player inevitably means weeks or months of Ayre twatting about before said player fucks off somewhere else .  Either we're complete mugs and are being used to pump up the transfer fees or we are are being way too clever for our own good. The amount of wasted time and effort by Ayre getting these deals to the point of completion only to see them fall apart is no longer a joke or a coincidence. He seriously needs to be shown the door.

We are fucking shit at this transfer lark.

We are shit at actually understanding the difference between idle speculation reported as fact, and you know, fact.   That's why there's a lot of screaming, wailing and gnashing of bedposts on here in the silly season.  

I've found a way to keep my blood pressure down.  Ignore all of this shite until a deal is done.  

We are shit at actually understanding the difference between idle speculation reported as fact, and you know, fact.   That's why there's a lot of screaming, wailing and gnashing of bedposts on here in the silly season.  

I've found a way to keep my blood pressure down.  Ignore all of this shite until a deal is done.  

You're right to a point . 90% of the stuff in the press is fantasy and never going to happen.

Like you I couldn't give two fucks about it. The Moreno deal is/was real and seems to have collapsed at the death so people are entitled to ask why 

We are shit at actually understanding the difference between idle speculation reported as fact, and you know, fact.   That's why there's a lot of screaming, wailing and gnashing of bedposts on here in the silly season.   I've found a way to keep my blood pressure down.  Ignore all of this shite until a deal is done.

I can't ignore it because I want the club to identify and sign the players they spend months chasing, your pushing it a bit too far putting our recent activity or 'pursuits' down as idle speculation, it's frustrating to the point of madness and it's looking like this could be another deal that's falling through, that might be jumping the gun but given the trend we have for our deals there is a pattern.

I can't ignore it because I want the club to identify and sign the players they spend months chasing, your pushing it a bit too far putting our recent activity or 'pursuits' down as idle speculation, it's frustrating to the point of madness and it's looking like this could be another deal that's falling through, that might be jumping the gun but given the trend we have for our deals there is a pattern.

See, I haven't read anything that makes me believe it isn't idle speculation, or at best, clubs and agents spinning shite.  I also don't believe most of the shite written about Ayre and the club's inability to play with a straight bat on transfer dealings.  It's too easy to get suckered in to believing what the staff journalists are making up to fill up space in the papers.  

Yes, there are no examples of Ian Ayre being fucking shit at his job.

(Shock horror, everything is only black or white comment on a forum) yes, I think you'll find there are examples of Ayre making mistakes.

But this tedious nonsense of people declaring him shite just because a transfer doesn't happen like something out of a fairytale is stupid.

We've already signed two players this window (more than most other clubs) and seem far down the line on another significant signing. Yet once we aren't willing to bend over on a fee, we get remarks that Ayre is shite. But then if we just pay or structure how the other club wants, we get comments that Ayre is shite. Can you see a pattern here?

I wonder if the people saying this is a joke have any suggestions how to speed it up? Or are we just likely to hear "he should just fucking get it done" or some other pearl of wisdom?

We've signed two players, and seem to have finally got the stadium situation sorted. Yet he's still shite and should be sacked according to all the CEOs and experienced big-businessman on here. Yet the real big businessmen seem to think he deserves a promotion. I wonder who's better to form a view based on?

• Upvote 6

Yes, there are no examples of Ian Ayre being fucking shit at his job.

I'm not sure there are really.

Since he's been here negotiating we missed out on William, Costa, Salah, Mkhitaryan because they all went to club who had Champs League football.

He does get a pretty hard time Ayre.  This is the summer to judge him now we have Champs League football to attract better players.

Seville are usually difficult to deal with as we know ourselves with the Alves deal a few years ago where they kept upping the price.

Well, there aren't any examples if you just pretend there aren't any examples, I guess. I mean, with any negotiation ever you could just say "No, it wasn't because of this, it was because of this"

As none of us have full details of any of the transfer negotiations it seems a bit silly the pro Ayrites getting annoyed with the anti Ayrites, and trying to claim a moral high ground, on the basis that they're the club people and are all official, and that, so must know what they're doing. We're just internet plebs. Sounds a bit like the sort of patronising guff a Tory member might come out with. If we're only allowed to nosh off everything the club does, nosh off everything everyone does, what is the point of the internet? Just turn it off.

Don't turn it off. Its fun.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm not sure there are really.

Since he's been here negotiating we missed out on William, Costa, Salah, Mkhitaryan because they all went to club who had Champs League football.

He does get a pretty hard time Ayre.  This is the summer to judge him now we have Champs League football to attract better players.

Seville are usually difficult to deal with as we know ourselves with the Alves deal a few years ago where they kept upping the price.

And it's worth keeping in mind that the manager has to convince the player of his plan, and the manager and the transfer committee sets the maximum fee. If the selling club think it's too low then it's a hard task.

If a transfer falls through, than plenty can hold the can. Or the player is just greedy. Rumours that Man Utd are going to pay Shaw £160k a week having signed him for £30m mean no other club could be blamed for not getting him. That money, if true, or moronic for an 18 year old.

Well, there aren't any examples if you just pretend there aren't any examples, I guess. I mean, with any negotiation ever you could just say "No, it wasn't because of this, it was because of this"

As none of us have full details of any of the transfer negotiations it seems a bit silly the pro Ayrites getting annoyed with the anti Ayrites, and trying to claim a moral high ground, on the basis that they're the club people and are all official, and that, so must know what they're doing. We're just internet plebs. Sounds a bit like the sort of patronising guff a Tory member might come out with. If we're only allowed to nosh off everything the club does, nosh off everything everyone does, what is the point of the internet? Just turn it off.

Don't turn it off. Its fun.

"pro-Ayrites" and "anti-Ayrites". I've negged you for that. If you say "ani-Ayre Taliban" next, I may have to track you down and kill you.

Basically, all I'm saying is people immediately diving in that it's all Ayres fault because the press said a transfer may have hit an impasse is tiresome, and pretty unfair on 1 person.

I find it amazing that people are continually blaming Ian Ayre for our transfer failings. It's not Ian Ayre who says "no, that's too much" is it? Fucking hell, he's undoubtedly made mistakes at the club, we all do, but if people think its all his fault that we haven't got our main targets in the past few years then they're deluded.

I find it amazing that people are continually blaming Ian Ayre for our transfer failings. It's not Ian Ayre who says "no, that's too much" is it? Fucking hell, he's undoubtedly made mistakes at the club, we all do, but if people think its all his fault that we haven't got our main targets in the past few years then they're deluded.

Of course he has boundaries set by the owners but I don't accept that you get to the point where a player is about to sign a contract and it all falls apart . ( once maybe but on a regular basis ? ) . Skilled negotiators identify snags at an early stage and move on if they are insurmountable . I get the feeling with Ayre that he takes too long  ,in what is a sellers market ,and sidesteps issues hoping the counterparty will cave in at the end.. I may be being totally unfair to the guy but from what I see and hear he just appears amateurish and lacking in the skills needed to close big deals.

It shouldn't take whole transfer windows to reach the decision, that what is too much on the last day of the window, was also too much on the first day of the window.

• Upvote 1

Comparing Ayre in the transfer market to some other clubs and he doesn't seem to do that well. But I don't understand why we expect the CEO to be the best salesman and procurer at the club. Other businesses bring in experts for those roles and I have no idea why we don't

• Upvote 1