Tom R

PPI mis-selling - anyone else looked in to it?

With an eagle-eye like yours Robo, you should really have replied "My name's not long."

Yours, Mr Tedious-Smartarse, Dorset

Aye, missed another trick there.  I think I need to get back in work, all this time off is tiring me out.

Bit of a long story...

...the Mrs moved into her (no our) flat in July 2009. For some reason, Halifax changed the address on her property to her old address without her knowledge and proceeded to send all her mortgage statements to her old property.

We went into a branch last year on an unrelated matter and she asked about her mortgage, to which they couldn't find it as she didn't have her account number and then the address search didn't bring anything up. Eventually we go to the bottom of it and I complained about it as a DPA breach, which Halifax admitted and we got £500 compensation.

However, as she wasn't getting her annual mortgage statements, she had no idea PPI was being added to the account. She got her first PPI statement today which says that £268 per year has been added to the mortgage so I've filled out the form and am going to post it to the Halifax tomorrow. If they refund it all, she'll get about £1700 back.

Anyway, I'm guessing she's surely going to have signed something saying that she's agreed to this PPI but she is adamant she knows nothing about it. What is the best thing to say on the form, just that she was never aware it was added to the account & play on Halifax's DPA breach above or is there something clever I should be putting to make sure we get the money back?

I thought you could only claim if the loan/card was taken out in the last 10 years. Can I still go for this? I was stitched up like a fucking kipper when I was a naive 18 year old.

Might give SF a call anyway. But has anyone claimed for something that's approaching 20 years old? I've got nothing in the way of account numbers etc.

In all of my claims I've said;

- I didn't sign up for PPI

- that I had excellent sick pay (over 9 months)

- that I had excellent redundancy package

- that I had several thousand in savings in another account

That covers you for misspelling on the grounds you didn't want it and the fact they wouldn't have paid out anyway even if youd signed for it. Check out moneysavingexpert forum for more advice, there's tons of threads

I thought you could only claim if the loan/card was taken out in the last 10 years. Can I still go for this? I was stitched up like a fucking kipper when I was a naive 18 year old.

Might give SF a call anyway. But has anyone claimed for something that's approaching 20 years old? I've got nothing in the way of account numbers etc.

Do it yourself, it's piss easy.

I have dealt with stuff going back to the 80's, you dont have to worry about it being over 10 years.

In terms of what to say, youre best just saying every complaint point. Say you have great sick pay and redundancy. Say you were pressured into it and then just create a fictional back story with made up details, the more detail you give the more credibility they give to your story and most of the time its that long ago there is no way of disproving what you said.

If anyone has Lloyds, Clydesdale or Yorkshire bank stuff let me know and ill tell you what to say.

• Upvote 1

I have dealt with stuff going back to the 80's, you dont have to worry about it being over 10 years.

In terms of what to say, youre best just saying every complaint point. Say you have great sick pay and redundancy. Say you were pressured into it and then just create a fictional back story with made up details, the more detail you give the more credibility they give to your story and most of the time its that long ago there is no way of disproving what you said.

If anyone has Lloyds, Clydesdale or Yorkshire bank stuff let me know and ill tell you what to say.

My mum is doing a Yorkshire bank one now, they wrote to her today saying it'll be delayed as they have a new process . Any help gratefully received.

My mum is doing a Yorkshire bank one now, they wrote to her today saying it'll be delayed as they have a new process . Any help gratefully received.

Yeah im on that project at the minute. Crazy how behind they are.

What is she complaining about? Loan/Card or mortgage?

Yeah im on that project at the minute. Crazy how behind they are.

What is she complaining about? Loan/Card or mortgage?

Over the years she's had all 3 with them. She's banked with them for about 30 years, I'm convinced she's their only customer.

Over the years she's had all 3 with them. She's banked with them for about 30 years, I'm convinced she's their only customer.

There was a policy decision made a couple of days ago where it has now been decided that if a customer quotes a specific account number they are only going to investigate that. Previously we have been investigating linked products, etc. If she quoted a specific account number so far i would suggest ringing them up and say make sure you investigate all my loans/cards/mortgages because if you dont, they wont.

At present all single premium loans prior to March 08 are automatically upheld anyway. Most loans taken before 08 are 99% single premiums. They dont ask for any evidence to back up what you say, so for any loans after 08 just say your mum had fantastic employee benefits, at least 6 months full sick pay though i would prob say 12 months if it doesnt sound too unrealistic given her job. Say you received a months redundancy for each year she had been employed and savings in an external account with another bank. That will have all her loans upheld. Obviously you want to tailor her complaint point to these employee benefits.

For cards and mortgages it is pretty similar. All credit cards prior to January 05 all automatically upheld. For those after 05 as long as you have said that about employee benefits and savings it will also be upheld due to the suitability of the policy.

For Mortgages there is no automatic uphold, however, you are quite lucky that they systems and record keeping at Yorkshire isnt great, so there is very little evidence of what would have been discussed at any meeting when the mortgage was taken out. If you just state the usual that the advisor told you to have it to secure the mortgage even though your mum told them she had fantastic employee benefits then the chances are they wont have any evidence to refute it.

The best advice i can give, even though it seems the most obvious, is to make sure your mum is specific that she wants all her products investigating. They wont investigate it all if you dont ask them too. Make sure she says she took loans/cards/mortgages over 30 years. The old ones are on archived systems and the case handlers are told not to search the archived systems as a matter of course, unless the customer has indicated that there are old products likely to be archived.

• Upvote 3

Am I the only person in Britain who just laughed and told my bank to fuck off when they tried to include PPI on a loan?

By the looks of things I must be the only person in Britain who's never tried to take out a loan. Other than a mortgage, on which they specifically asked if I wanted PPI, and I told them to piss off as I knew it was just a scam even back in 2004. Curse my financial prudence!

By the looks of things I must be the only person in Britain who's never tried to take out a loan. Other than a mortgage, on which they specifically asked if I wanted PPI, and I told them to piss off as I knew it was just a scam even back in 2004. Curse my financial prudence!

8% interest...best savings account out there.

• Upvote 1

One aspect of the mis-selling was that despite you saying you didn't want it, it was often added to agreements anyway without people knowing. The sales people got commission from adding PPI, so they added it.

8% interest...best savings account out there.

John - my mum followed your advice, called Yorkshire Bank and asked for confirmation in writing that they'd be checking all agreements. Two hours later she was called back by the PPI dept who admitted that they wouldn't have done so without the explicit request. So, thanks again.

I also told all my lenders to piss off when it comes to things like PPI as well. It was ackowledged by the lenders in question that I indeed hadn't selected the PPI option when taking out the loans/credit cards etc

No, the pay outs i received last year were from the lenders weren't for "mis-selling", it was for outright stealing! They were simply adding PPI to my premium by default, and then to compound matters further, they weren't even including it ON MY STATEMENTS!

They were simply bundling it on to my monthly payment!

So, regardless of whether or not you selected PPI or not, there's a bloody good chance these robbing sheisters have been taking it anyway and everybody should explore. 

Same, Tom.  I've always said no to PPI and was doing at 18 when my bank tried to insist upon it, but I still made a claim based on accounts like yours.

Nothing had been added surreptitiously to any of my credit agreements, but who knows.

Mine was such a serious case of fraud and outright theft that it's now  being investigated by the FSA. There's a chance I might even get some further compensation "within a year" or so, depending on how long it takes.

What they were doing is this: Let's say my minimum payment should have been £100, they were just charging me, say, £110, and not making any reference to the extra tenner and accounting or itemising it on my statement. This was apparently not uncommon at all.

Utter bastards.

Everybody should forget just looking at their statements and saying "well there's no reference to PPI, so I don't have a claim".

If I'd done that these cunts would still have my money. I had nearly 10 year's worth of statements and there wasn't a single mention of it!!

• Upvote 1

One of mine was with Egg, I'd applied on the off chance a few years ago and was told that PPI hadn't been included so I went away. Then got a letter out of the blue saying the FSA had investigated my claim, overturned their decision and awarded in my favour. To confuse it id moved so letters went to my old address.

I've also had a card with egg and they fucked me off twice so in the last week I've gone to the FSA myself. Id thoroughly recommend doing it yourself, there's loads of threads on moneysavingexpert.com advising what to say and how to do it. Basically just need to say you weren't aware you'd signed up for it, that you had great redundancy and sick cover and had a few grand in the bank. Remember they can't check any of these facts. If you did sign up for PPI day you were told that you'd only get the loan/card if you took it out and that you had the redundancy/sick cover and cash in the bank.

The form takes 20 mins to fill in, and you'll only have to answer the same questions if you go to a claim company.

Just got the ombudsman questionnaire to fill in from HSBC for a credit card repayment protection policy dating back to about 2001.

Not sure if that'll be a bit too early to claim on, but will give it a shot.

I'm claiming it was missold on the basis that:

- I wasn't told of any cooling off period/right of cancellation.

- I wasn't asked about my employer's sick pay policy (there wasn't one, as such, however, I've kind of said I think it was 12 months. The company went into administration about 7 years ago, so they can't check)

-That I wasn't asked about my ability to make repayments in the event of illness/redundancy etc, such as savings, through family etc

- That I was given little information about the cost/benefits/terms of the insurance.

- Linked to this, that I was sold the policy mainly on the basis that it would offer me protection if I was EVER ill or made redundant, and that the many restrictions that applied before I would benefit from this protection were not explained to me at all.

So, PPI experts, what are my chances?

I'm particularly hammering home the protection if you're EVER ill or made redundant bit, as I genuinely remember being told this (maybe my fault for not reading the policy?) and feel that this was clear misselling.

The policy is still active, but the card has a zero balance now and is no longer used. However, at its worst, the balance owing was about £10k (uni fees and expenses, season tickets for a certain sport, supplementing a part time wage, going to town and seeing 3 coats/pairs of trainers I liked and buying them all, instead of just one) and my monthly payments were barely denting the balance and being swallowed up by interest and insurance, so I reckon I might get a decent amount back.

I'd be happy with a grand or so.

Mine was such a serious case of fraud and outright theft that it's now  being investigated by the FSA. There's a chance I might even get some further compensation "within a year" or so, depending on how long it takes.

What they were doing is this: Let's say my minimum payment should have been £100, they were just charging me, say, £110, and not making any reference to the extra tenner and accounting or itemising it on my statement. This was apparently not uncommon at all.

Utter bastards.

Everybody should forget just looking at their statements and saying "well there's no reference to PPI, so I don't have a claim".

If I'd done that these cunts would still have my money. I had nearly 10 year's worth of statements and there wasn't a single mention of it!!

20150618_090151_zpstijtvin6.jpg

• Upvote 4