You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC games wiped from the memory

Another game to forget a 1-0 loss to Bradford on the last day of the 99-2000 season which meant Leeds got the final champions league spot at our expense....oh and Bradford stayed up too..

This was the culmination of an end of season meltdown in which we failed to score in our last six games....

On the plus side we got put in the UEFA cup for the following season, and the rest as they say is history....always a silver lining eh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYDoMF_H9-o

Sunderland away in 2002/03. Black and grey kit. The likes of Diouf and Diao in the team. Sunderland were absolute fucking gash and had Howard Wilkinson in charge. I think they finished bottom that season - getting tonked by everybody else - but we could only draw 0-0 against them at Anfield (I think that was at the very start of that 11-game winless sequence) and contrived to lose 2-1 away, with the winner being scored by ex-Blueshite carthorse Gavin McCann.

That year was full of totally abject displays and results - Birmingham and Newcastle away being cases in point. Both of those had claimed a point at Anfield after clawing back a 2-goal deficit.

Another that stands out in the pantheon of monumentally shit performances is Portsmouth away in 2009/10. They were fucking shit all season and got relegated despite reaching the FA Cup final against Chelsea, but we were so poor at Fratton Park and never looked like scoring at all. Mascherano got sent off early on for a late challenge, and we let a completely left-footed full back score with his right foot, as well as a striker who normally couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo score a totally avoidable goal thanks to our relentless ineptitude.

Yet another is a 1-0 defeat at Charlton in 1998/99. Carra got sent off and they scored in the last few minutes through somebody I recall never having heard of, who unsurprisingly made no impact on the game otherwise.

Liverpool 0-1 Charlton in 2004. The game where I felt it really became untenable for Houllier.  I remember the atmosphere at that game was quite nasty with a lot of Reds arguing about the backing of the team and criticism of the manager.  Shaun Bartlett scored the only goal and at the time it seemed like we wouldn't get 4th (even though we gloriously made it).  Found this match report...

Shambolic Liverpool lose Champions League grip

·         Dominic Fifield at Anfield

·        

·         The Guardian, Tuesday 13 April 2004 00.04 BST

They played Perfect Day over the Tannoy at the end here, though, in the circumstances, the irony was excruciating. After the shambles of this performance and with their fans' anguished screams chasing them back down the tunnel, Liverpool knew they had failed a test of nerves - miserably.

Champions League qualification has been taken out of their hands after a pointless Easter programme, with Charlton's previously dwindling hopes pepped, having deservedly secured their first league victory in this arena for 50 years. Newcastle and Aston Villa will feel similarly encouraged, the sense that Liverpool have surrendered the initiative inescapable.

The race for fourth position has long since become a treacherous crawl. "The chase is still open, we're still there," insisted Gérard Houllier in the pained aftermath. "The mistake would be to throw the towel in now." Yet the catcalls at the final whistle suggest the Kop are far from convinced that either the manager or his side can muster enough to pluck much consolation from a desperate campaign.

So insipid were the home team here, faced with organised and patient opponents, that Steven Gerrard was reduced to diving hopefully in the area before the end. His tumble over Radostin Kishishev's challenge earned the England midfielder a first yellow card of the season. Kneeling on the turf while Charlton's delirious fans in the Anfield Road end roared their approval, Gerrard's body language suggested the game was up.

It is not yet but the Londoners now sit two points off Liverpool with a game in hand and their confidence buoyed. Even with a makeshift side and five regular full-backs in their line-up, with Herman Hreidarsson outstanding as he filled in the centre, they smacked of strength and purpose. Liverpool's inspiration merely drained away.

El Hadji Diouf and Harry Kewell were critically peripheral, their lack of creation damning. Dietmar Hamann is not the player he once was and never imposed himself, Michael Owen laboured to make an impact and the ponderous defence, when it needed to be solid to preserve a point, showed itself to be the soft under-belly it too often is.

Rumours abound that Philippe Mexes of Auxerre could join in time for next season, though, given much more of this, he may have to pass up European football to do so. The decisive goal was indicative of deep-seated shortcomings. Claus Jensen's 63rd- minute corner, won legitimately off John-Arne Riise despite the home manager's protests, was headed powerfully beyond Jerzy Dudek by the unmarked Shaun Bartlett and Charlton had the lead they warranted. They might have had a penalty of their own seconds earlier, Gerrard clearly barging Hreidarsson at Jensen's free-kick, but it mattered not. This was Alan Curbishley's first victory as player or manager at Anfield and it was a timely success.

Only 10 points had been gleaned from the 10 games since Scott Parker's £10m defection to Chelsea. Now their chances of a first taste of continental competition are revived. "I don't think the pressure was on us today," said the manager. "No one expected us to get a result, but there were some heroic performances out there. A few clubs around us now will start thinking that this is still up for grabs, and it puts us right back into it."

If they rediscover their home form then Charlton could eclipse Liverpool. Jonatan Johansson's first-half spin and shot had suggested theirs was the sharper edge even if it did take a point-blank save from the excellent Dean Kiely to keep out Vladimir Smicer's late far-post header and preserve the advantage.

The scoreboard clock sat stuck on 16 seconds to go as if intent upon prolonging the occasion until Liverpool plucked parity from dregs but, in truth, so lacklustre were the home side that Charlton could breeze through stoppage-time relatively unconcerned.

"We have to blame ourselves, no excuses," added Houllier, who had recalled Stéphane Henchoz for Igor Biscan. "We've missed a good opportunity to gain a lead in the pursuit of fourth but we didn't play well enough. The dressing-room is not the happiest at the moment. It was a disappointing result, a disappointing performance." Unfortunately, it sits easy in a disappointing season.

I'm going way back to 81/82 season. Chelsea were in division 2 and they beat us 2-0 in the FA Cup.

78 as well. My dad took me to my first away at Stamford Bridge. 4-2 to Chelsea after a Clive Walker hat trick. Loads of right wing Dr martin bootied skinheads - Laandon was always a step ahead in the fashion world

Another game to forget a 1-0 loss to Bradford on the last day of the 99-2000 season which meant Leeds got the final champions league spot at our expense....oh and Bradford stayed up too..

This was the culmination of an end of season meltdown in which we failed to score in our last six games....

On the plus side we got put in the UEFA cup for the following season, and the rest as they say is history....always a silver lining eh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYDoMF_H9-o

I spent that day in Chester, watching the Super Seals lose their league status.

Perspective.

A few to choose from; 

Coventry in 96/97, which essentially lost us the title. 

Bradford in 2000

Portsmouth in the Cup in 2003(?) a match so predictably dire I actually wanted Portsmouth to kill us off at Anfield after equalizing just so I did not have to travel down there the following week

Newcastle on New Years Day 2003

Aston Villa away in 2006/07 (I think), one of THE most boring games of football I ever watched. At New Street Station an hour after the game the lads I was with and I could not remember a single notable thing that happened in the match. 

I am sure there are others I have actually really fogotten. 

0-1 at home to Brondby. Fucking dire.

The only goal scored by a man three-fifths of whose name was "Egg". The eggen was on our faces that night.

Those french games were shite as well. Beaten 3-0 away by french opposition in consecutive seasons, then winning the second leg at home 2-0 both times too.

I remember we lost a home match against Leicester in 1999. We were absolutely atrocious but what made matters worse was that on the same night, the Mancs came back from 2-0 down to beat Juventus in Turin and reach the Champions League final.

In 2007 were playing away to Porto in the Champions League and scraped a 1-1 draw. Porto absolutely battered us and we had Pennant sent off too. We might have played a bit better after that though.

I recall we had an away match against either Middlesbrough or Fulham on the same day that England won the Rugby World Cup. I'd got a proper dose of man flu a couple of days before and could barely focus on watching the rugby that morning. I don't normally sleep during the day even if I have flu but that day I really needed the rest so I was going to sleep in the afternoon. I kept the radio on and Five Live were covering another game but as usual would go around the grounds whenever there was an update. I don't remember them ever updating our game except to say it had got under way, it was half time and when the full time whistle went. Judging by that, it was the most soporific of 0-0s.

I had forgotten any and every detail about the 0-1 at home to Fulham in Kenny's season until looking on liverweb a few weeks ago. The game before the Chelsea FA Cup Final.

That was the final nail in my season ticket coffin that. I couldn't afford Wembley because like a dickhead I spent my money on my ST to watch our reserves get beat on a Tuesday night with 29,000 others.

Gave it up the next season

1987/8 FA Cup run. Away to Stoke. A miserable rainy day in a horrible, dilapidated stadium with a pitch fit only for mud wrestling. One of the greatest ever Liverpool teams were reduced to a dire game where they couldn't pass along the ground or even run with the ball. We drew 0-0 although Hooper had to pull off a great save towards the end to keep us in the cup. Even the coach journey was quiet and miserable.

We took them back to a proper pitch at Anfield and battered them a week or so later

Reading at Anfield in a Cup replay in 2010. We did what we'd done several times at home that season - take the lead just before half time only to throw it away and lose the game. Maxi was introduced to the crowd as our new signing before kick-off, taking his seat in the stands. Yossi scored a scrappy goal in a very scrappy match just before the half time whistle. Reading came out of the blocks in the second half and looked the likelier to score. They got a penalty in second half stoppage time to equalise and take the game to extra time, and won it with a Shane Long header at the Kop end in extra time. I also remember McAnuff picking the ball up in the centre circle and just running at us. He beat 3 or 4 men and was through on goal only to miss the target. It would have been a fantastic goal had he scored. Those were just desperate times because we were almost at rock bottom off the pitch with everybody at loggerheads.

I recall we had an away match against either Middlesbrough or Fulham on the same day that England won the Rugby World Cup. I'd got a proper dose of man flu a couple of days before and could barely focus on watching the rugby that morning. I don't normally sleep during the day even if I have flu but that day I really needed the rest so I was going to sleep in the afternoon. I kept the radio on and Five Live were covering another game but as usual would go around the grounds whenever there was an update. I don't remember them ever updating our game except to say it had got under way, it was half time and when the full time whistle went. Judging by that, it was the most soporific of 0-0s.

I fucking used to hate Middlesbrough....I remember us losing there in 2002 when we were top of the league and they hadn't won for a month, we lost 1-0 to a Southgate goal when we hardly mustered a shot or attack all game.....

We also lost there 2-0 in 2009 after they hadn't won for 15 games that was the year we should have won the league, and Downing had his usual good game against us.

Thank fuck they got relegated as we haven't won there since 2002.