You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

new united confirmed

It's an accident waiting to happen. I can't wait to see how it plays out because there are so many things that could go wrong.

In my opinion he's exactly what they don't need and I think plenty of people have outlined why above. I can see them facing a catch 22 situation in the next 12 months over whether to fire him or back him and they will be fucked whatever they do.

The media will love him, like they did Mourinho. Every little substitution will reflect behind the scenes unrest or incredible man management (depending on what slant they fancy)

Prepare yourself for a Van Gaal love in, with Mourinho's nose well and truly out if joint.

Mourinho v Van Gaal in a distracting ego battle -- I hadn't anticipated this spin-off. Things are looking even rosier for next season.

Mourinho v Van Gaal in a distracting ego battle -- I hadn't anticipated this spin-off. Things are looking even rosier for next season.

I suggest we wait and see how it plays before we start celebrating. Van Gaal is no rookie and he can hardly fail to improve on Dave's effort,  He will have the old guard gone , money to spend and Slur will be back in his cage . A much more attractive proposition than the one that faced Moyes . 

He reads like a fixer. United were 15 points off the CL places this year. That is a lot of points, but not insurmountable - Redknapp was able to do a similar job with Spurs a few years ago. His brief is to get above Arsenal (who now they scraped an FA Cup against a team they scored 42 points more than are bigshots again I read - did I miss the memo?). But - the players, aside from those you need one hand to tick off - are no good. Can a fella who has a WC to prepare for - first game in 3 weeks or so - do anything like enough business to make a difference this year. 

His record in the last 10-12 years is modest and he hasn't managed a club since 2011. 

If they'd got Rafa I'd have been worried. 

Next year the question is 'who do we need to be better than to win the League'? I'm not seeing United.

• Upvote 1

I find very odd when people start analysing points tallies. They finished 15 points off here and so and so was 10 points higher here. It's all bollocks. It means fuck all in the grand scheme of things. This is not American sport where everything is split into sections and can be analysed statiscally. Everything is relative to everything else.

Van Gaal isnt trying to gain points on last season. It's a clean slate. A very similar side that finished 7th this year won the league the previous year. It all depends on an uncountable number of factors so what you do is you take an opinion on it. You look at the side and think they were shite last year and I think they will be shite this year as well.

• Upvote 3

I agree it falls down at the very top. It is fatuous to say that Liverpool's target next season is to improve by 3 points. I don't think it is all that odd when you are looking at the top 4. To an extent it is relative - Arsenal improved by 6 points last season but stayed 4th. Statistically though 75 points and above generally gets a team in the top 4. So for this new guy it is about improving the points score by not getting beat by middling teams at home and letting in last minute equalisers. Fix that and maintain performance and he is on his way.  

I just don't get why he would want or accept Giggs hanging around in the background.

And I don't see why Giggs is being touted as some sort of future managerial messiah. It's a romantic notion, nothing more. Surely the obvious thing for him to do would go away from ManUre and get some genuine managerial experience of his own somewhere else, say in Europe?

I just don't get why he would want or accept Giggs hanging around in the background.

And I don't see why Giggs is being touted as some sort of future managerial messiah. It's a romantic notion, nothing more. Surely the obvious thing for him to do would go away from ManUre and get some genuine managerial experience of his own somewhere else, say in Europe?

He's got this incestuous thing. Doesn't like to play away too far from home.

Giggs is being treated like he's some raw untapped managerial resource. When did he become this potential great manager? The guy is a fucking punk who hasn't got the balls to go it alone at another club out of his comfort zone to learn his trade. This has disaster written all over it.

They will be better than under Moyes, obviously. But there's still a big gap to crack the top four, and it is more competitive than ever. I'd like to think that we will strengthen and fight it out with Man City and Chelsea for the title. Hopefully that's the top three (it might be a faulty assumption but I see Man City and Chelsea as being there or thereabouts, there's just too much depth in both squads). 

After that it will be Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd fighting over one spot (hopefully). Anything could happen. 

Beats me, too. Giggs is so obviously Ferguson's creature that his mere presence on the staff is there to remind Van Gaal where the power really is.

Otoh, Van Gall probably will piss all over Giggs, and Ferguson, as he is as much of a cunt as either of them. Fun times ahead.

I think that Van Gaal was the only credible choice for the Mancs.

It was unsurprising that their staff took the transition into Everton badly. By contrast, when it comes to "show us your medals", VG can face down the lot of them.

Gollum blundered by ditching the old staff. It makes sense to have Giggs around as the man who knows the mood of the camp, and unlike Gollum, Giggs will be wise to listen and learn from the new man whose breadth of experience is greater than Whiskeynose's.

As for what will constitute success for VG, a CL finish will do it, and I think he will deliver that with no Euro distractions.  From our point of view, he is a bad appointment.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think that Van Gaal was the only credible choice for the Mancs.

It was unsurprising that their staff took the transition into Everton badly. By contrast, when it comes to "show us your medals", VG can face down the lot of them.

Gollum blundered by ditching the old staff. It makes sense to have Giggs around as the man who knows the mood of the camp, and unlike Gollum, Giggs will be wise to listen and learn from the new man whose breadth of experience is greater than Whiskeynose's.

As for what will constitute success for VG, a CL finish will do it, and I think he will deliver that with no Euro distractions.  From our point of view, he is a bad appointment.

Lightening was never going to strike twice.

• Upvote 1

I imagine Van Gaal is the type of manager who rules with an iron fist, so the first thing that needs doing is establishing his supremacy.

As we all know, from TV, the best way to do this is to go after the loudest meanest guy in the prison yard and knock him out with one swift punch. This should be Rooney or maybe Van Pursey now that Ferdinand is gone...

Interesting interview with Mike Phelan on Breakfast this morning, very non comital.

"Is he the man for the job?"

"Well he was available, he made that known to Tottenham"

"Good to have Giggs onboard?"

"Well he's been there for a long time, who knows"

Blerts have already been posting iconic black and white pics of the man on Facebook, he's obviously the new chosen one.

Ramping up expectations is great to my mind though as it just means nobody will be able to do the job. There are harsh realities there and nobody is willing to face them. Their squad is extremely poor, they're a top seven side at best.

• Upvote 1