You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

Dudes can have opinions without being professionals.  Lord knows I have mine. 

I think that's a shit response to be honest. You've got a person who's played professional football, becomes a manager and wins national leagues and cups at the highest level.

But someone who's not a professional can make a definitive statement that that manager isnt playing a player right isnt an opinion. It's saying a professional judgement is wrong based on nothing more than their prejudices and thought.

I think that's a shit response to be honest. You've got a person who's played professional football, becomes a manager and wins national leagues and cups at the highest level.

But someone who's not a professional can make a definitive statement that that manager isnt playing a player right isnt an opinion. It's saying a professional judgement is wrong based on nothing more than their prejudices and thought.

You are very, very thick, and I am almost if not as thick for responding, but with such smugness I feel compelled ..

A manager can neglect to play a player to their strengths if that individual choice is to the detriment of the overall team. Hence players who perform superbly in 'free roles' at lesser clubs having reduced effectiveness in the rigidity of top teams with other top players. Emre Can is fundamentally not cut from the same cloth of player as Klopp has been shown to go for -- Mane, Salah, Keita, Wijnaldum. He has a different skill-set. It is perfectly fine to suggest that Klopp does not play Can to his strengths -- he's more of a battering ram, at home in a Mourinho brand of attritional football that Klopp's helter skelter one-end-of-the-pitch-to-the-other approach. Klopp is not going to compromise on his overall style for the sake of Emre Can.

Can doesn't turn the ball over quickly; he isn't blessed with lightning pace; he looks tired playing 2 games a week. He clearly has huge quality (look at his goals), and he's been at the centre of some very good midfield performances against strong teams, but he'll probably look better more often elsewhere. Until then Klopp works with what he's got.

You are very, very thick, and I am almost if not as thick for responding, but with such smugness I feel compelled ..

A manager can neglect to play a player to their strengths if that individual choice is to the detriment of the overall team. Hence players who perform superbly in 'free roles' at lesser clubs having reduced effectiveness in the rigidity of top teams with other top players. Emre Can is fundamentally not cut from the same cloth of player as Klopp has been shown to go for -- Mane, Salah, Keita, Wijnaldum. He has a different skill-set. It is perfectly fine to suggest that Klopp does not play Can to his strengths -- he's more of a battering ram, at home in a Mourinho brand of attritional football that Klopp's helter skelter one-end-of-the-pitch-to-the-other approach. Klopp is not going to compromise on his overall style for the sake of Emre Can.

Can doesn't turn the ball over quickly; he isn't blessed with lightning pace; he looks tired playing 2 games a week. He clearly has huge quality (look at his goals), and he's been at the centre of some very good midfield performances against strong teams, but he'll probably look better more often elsewhere. Until then Klopp works with what he's got.

Haha, Im thick? You havent a fucking clue yet you reckon you've a better idea than the manager, any manager? Give your head a wobble.

I don't agree with him but he's entitled to his view.

I don't agree with him but he's entitled to his view.

When objectivity is discarded, the debate loses its point. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, that's not is dispute, the objectivity is. But many people want to mix the two up and say what you have in an attempt to belittle the subject.

Its like a surgeon saying "Im sorry Mr So and So, we need to operate to fix this medical problem." The patient says "I dont agree, a course of antibiotics will clear it up." The patient is entitled to his opinion but he hasnt been through medical school, hasnt come across the condition numerous times and doesnt know the right way to fix it.

But whatever. Objectivity seems to be out the window as far as anything LFC is concerned this season.

When objectivity is discarded, the debate loses its point. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, that's not is dispute, the objectivity is. But many people want to mix the two up and say what you have in an attempt to belittle the subject.

Its like a surgeon saying "Im sorry Mr So and So, we need to operate to fix this medical problem." The patient says "I dont agree, a course of antibiotics will clear it up." The patient is entitled to his opinion but he hasnt been through medical school, hasnt come across the condition numerous times and doesnt know the right way to fix it.

But whatever. Objectivity seems to be out the window as far as anything LFC is concerned this season.

Okay.  My head hurts.

A conservative calculation tells me I have played, watched and coached football for about 20 000 hours. I also have a few coaching courses. Does that make me qualified to have an opinion?

In fact I reckon if I had the same experience in surgery I'd know something about that as well, even if I wasn't a surgeon.

A conservative calculation tells me I have played, watched and coached football for about 20 000 hours. I also have a few coaching courses. Does that make me qualified to have an opinion?

In fact I reckon if I had the same experience in surgery I'd know something about that as well, even if I wasn't a surgeon.

How many times? You have a right to express an opinion. Your opinion doesnt hold up to objectivity when its compared to someone who has been 30+ years in the professional game as player and a manager (or indeed a surgeon who's been through god knows how many years medical schooling, not to mention operating on people).

If you and others cant grasp that concept, that's your problem, not mine.

Poor Emre. According to our fans he's either amazing when he has a good game, or total shite and needs selling if he has a bad game. No middle ground with this fella. Personally I think he's our most talented central midfielder (not a major achievement I know) but also our most inconsistent. Selling him would be daft IF he wants to stay. With Keita coming in, it doesn't look like he's going to stay though which is a shame.

Poor Emre. According to our fans he's either amazing when he has a good game, or total shite and needs selling if he has a bad game. No middle ground with this fella. Personally I think he's our most talented central midfielder (not a major achievement I know) but also our most inconsistent. Selling him would be daft IF he wants to stay. With Keita coming in, it doesn't look like he's going to stay though which is a shame.

Totally agree. I dont think the club is going to agree with his alleged demand for a release clause.

How many times? You have a right to express an opinion. Your opinion doesnt hold up to objectivity when its compared to someone who has been 30+ years in the professional game as player and a manager (or indeed a surgeon who's been through god knows how many years medical schooling, not to mention operating on people).

If you and others cant grasp that concept, that's your problem, not mine.

Based on your logic all professionals will have the exact same opinion on all football matters then?

Edit: Nothing personal here, I quite enjoy many of your posts and opinions, but I'm really struggling with your reasoning here.

As you say THL , if we are trying to make a stand it looks stupid if he is playing constantly to try and make the German WC squad and just pissing himself at us letting him scoop the whole signing-on fee.

I don't think we are making a stand though I just think a) We are useless and b) Can is taking the mickey.