You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

He's a much better footballer than Gerrard (now).

I'm not so sure mate. Being serious for a minute I don't think there are many players in world football who were as impressive as Gerrard last season. Vidal is surely a magnificent player, but at this moment in time I'd rather have Stevie.

I'm not so sure mate. Being serious for a minute I don't think there are many players in world football who were as impressive as Gerrard last season. Vidal is surely a magnificent player, but at this moment in time I'd rather have Stevie.

Fair enough, I disagree. I think Vidal is the best central midfielder on the planet. Its difficult to compare though because Gerrard played Pirlo's role this season, not Vidal's.

Its testament to Stevie that, at 33, 34 next week, he can still be compared with the very best midfielders in the world in their mid 20s.

• Upvote 1

The only reference I have is a shite one, youtube videos, but ***from what I've seen*** he looks pretty average and nowhere near the calibre of player I'd hope we'd target.

I understand this potential lark but we have a fair bit of that. I know that sounds myopic but in reality when you're not City or Chelsea and you have a finite budget, I can't say spending circa £12m on somebody who's ''one for the future'' fills me with joy.

I also think it's ridiculous saying he has 'potential' when the majority of people on here have probably seen him a handful of times at the very most. It was the same with Alberto - and as we saw with him, the £7m spent was of absolutely no use to us last season. It's just reckless spending dressed in sageness and smarts.

I want us to invest in the future, of course I do, but you have to have a balance. How many genuine first teamers with true pedigree have we signed recently? Very few. Certainly not enough.

Lots of potential. You don't see many young defensive midfielders playing like Pat Vieira when they're 19/20, and this guy is no different. Actually, Patrick Vieira wasn't playing like Patrick Vieira when he was 19/20. He's raw but as you'd expect from coming out of the German system he's technically sound; as long as he shows enough to keep people interested, hopefully he'll get the time to settle and impress. Most players don't get that now. It's a pre-season game and one premier league appearance before they're written off. 

I'll admit, all I've seen is a handful of youtube videos but from what I have seen, he loses possession a lot and misplaces passes quite often. Again, its only a youtube video, but if those are his highlights...

And I disagree about most players not getting time to impress. Its all about your role. If you are bringing in a novice barely developed player and expecting him to start most of your games then expect the fans to be pissed off. That's why people were so exasperated with Borini - he was touted as a 'marquee' signing who would get us excited when in reality he was somebody you'd want to give a league cup game and bring off the bench.

You can't just give players time to find their feet at a club like Liverpool and then expect Liverpool to challenge for honours. You have to manage the former whilst ensuring the latter.

In my opinion anyway..

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'll admit, all I've seen is a handful of youtube videos

That's plenty enough to write him off. 

And I disagree about most players not getting time to impress.

That's a'right, disagreement is fine. For me, and this forum is particularly bad for it, players are written off way, way too early. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The £7m on Alberto was a KLF type of wasting money, he's not good enough and even the hipsters on here know it but won't admit it

How much of that £7m was up front? The guy has had 0 starts. When he has played, I've liked what I've seen. Certainly enough to be part of the squad after a year on loan. 

That's plenty enough to write him off. 

That's a'right, disagreement is fine. For me, and this forum is particularly bad for it, players are written off way, way too early. 

I haven't written him off though. I caveated everything I said with what I'd made my judgement of. I still *do* make judgements on things that I've a brief experience off. I once ate Tiramasu - I thought it tasted like shit. Admittedly, I haven't given it another chance since but it certainly tasted awful when I did.

He looks raw, underdeveloped and not of the pedigree needed in those clips. Unfortunately that's all I have to go on. If we sign him I hope he does incredibly well for us, but I can't sit here and pretend he is going to on the basis of nothing.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I haven't written him off though. I caveated everything I said with what I'd made my judgement of. I still *do* make judgements on things that I've a brief experience off. I once ate Tiramasu - I thought it tasted like shit. Admittedly, I haven't given it another chance since but it certainly tasted awful when I did.

He looks raw, underdeveloped and not of the pedigree needed in those clips. Unfortunately that's all I have to go on. If we sign him I hope he does incredibly well for us, but I can't sit here and pretend he is going to on the basis of nothing.

You're bang on about Tiramisu, to me fair. I know you haven't written him off. I'm just saying it's enough for some to. 

How much of that £7m was up front? The guy has had 0 starts. When he has played, I've liked what I've seen. Certainly enough to be part of the squad after a year on loan. 

How is this certain? I think he's looked alright when come on. Alright.

But he's not certainly anything. He could be good. He could be shite. But the manager has barely given him a sniff, so right now he's evidently not good enough. He's never played at the top level and is already 22 (in september..tehee, exaggerating to make my point). Don't see what is so certain.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

How is this certain? I think he's looked alright when come on. Alright.

But he's not certainly anything. He could be good. He could be shite. But the manager has barely given him a sniff, so right now he's evidently not good enough. He's never played at the top level and is already 22 (in september..tehee, exaggerating to make my point). Don't see what is so certain.

I'm certain that it's good enough to be part of the squad. Probably because I think he was better than just 'alright'.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Ah fair enough. Do you think we will loan him out?

I heard malaga want to buy him permanently.

I guess it would depend on the offer. And, of course, whether the manager fancies him. He might be a primadonna shithouse for all we know. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If he's sold he is. If he stays he's not. That's my logic and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah, same here. I like the look of him but I'm not arsed either way.