You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

Gerrard used to tear about like a bull in a China shop,then Gary Mac,and later Alonso took him under their wing,he got better and better.The trouble is I can't see young Emre learning a lot from Henderson,captain or not.

• Upvote 1

Gerrard used to tear about like a bull in a China shop,then Gary Mac,and later Alonso took him under their wing,he got better and better.The trouble is I can't see young Emre learning a lot from Henderson,captain or not.

That sums up the difficulty of the sifting process we need throughout the squad this summer. Some players could improve under the influence of better players. Others will just never be good enough. If Klopp correctly identifies which is which and successfully replaces the latter with top quality professionals, who can bring out the best of the former, then the whole squad could quickly look very different.
  • Upvote 1

Can is a massive asset, he can dominate the midfield on his own a lot of the time.

He's only just come back from injury, remember, so you've gotta expect him to be a bit off the pace. He needed a helping hand in midfield, someone to put their foot on the ball and slow the game down. You're not gonna get that from Milner.

That sums up the difficulty of the sifting process we need throughout the squad this summer. Some players could improve under the influence of better players. Others will just never be good enough. If Klopp correctly identifies which is which and successfully replaces the latter with top quality professionals, who can bring out the best of the former, then the whole squad could quickly look very different.

Yes mate good post,one or two savvy players,leaders,could bring out the best in a few of these youngsters.

I can't see how "he can dominate the midfield", as it's being suggested by many posters here. He can develop into a decent DM.

Can is not similar to Gerrard and he will never be a top class box to box midfielder. Can is relatively slow, while Gerrard was pacey and explosive, especially in his early career. Can's shooting is also average. His Free kicks and penalties are nothing special. His passing is good. But look how slow he is when opposition is on the counter.

Can is already a good player as he is decent in many areas of midfield play. The only thing with him is that if he is to take it to the next level, he'll have to develop an elite skill and find an identity. As I see it right now, I'm not really sure what he is. His passing is okay but he's no playmaker. And then his tackling is good but he's not yet good enough positionnaly to be a great holding midifelder. 

He either needs to become someone who can protect the back four at a high level, or someone who can consistently control games with his passing. He's young so he has time to figure it out, but the last thing we need is another midfielder who is decent in all areas but doesn't really stand out in any of them.

This makes sense. If Carrick wasn't from them he would be the sort we need. The worry is the squad could become even less experienced if some of the transfers mooted go through.

It's very clear Can is raw and failing to give him and others the support they need is a false economy.

Can might make it yet, but he really isn't any great shakes at the moment, and he does switch off far too often - he's not a youngster any more.  He really does need to learn from an older and wiser player alongside him - someone who knows what you need to do to win, and someone who can teach him about positioning and staying involved in a game over 90 minutes.

Can might make it yet, but he really isn't any great shakes at the moment, and he does switch off far too often - he's not a youngster any more. He really does need to learn from an older and wiser player alongside him - someone who knows what you need to do to win, and someone who can teach him about positioning and staying involved in a game over 90 minutes.

Jordan Henderson?

Can is already a good player as he is decent in many areas of midfield play. The only thing with him is that if he is to take it to the next level, he'll have to develop an elite skill and find an identity. As I see it right now, I'm not really sure what he is. His passing is okay but he's no playmaker. And then his tackling is good but he's not yet good enough positionnaly to be a great holding midifelder.

He either needs to become someone who can protect the back four at a high level, or someone who can consistently control games with his passing. He's young so he has time to figure it out, but the last thing we need is another midfielder who is decent in all areas but doesn't really stand out in any of them.

I think Can would look even better if he had someone else half decent alongside him.

Most of the time, the poor sod has looked beseiged, being the defences only protection, and then expected to lead the charge and take it to our opponents.

It's like watching Zulu.

• Upvote 2

He's a good size for a centre midfielder but a long way to go. It looks like Klopp has got him fitter as he's not blowing out of his arse after an hour anymore.

Inconsistent springs to mind. Like the rest of the team. Consistency will come with age, though.

I'm starting to worry Klopp sees him as our dm, after all the times teams that have run through our midfield if that's the case then its negligence.

If anything Id have him doing a similar role as Xabi next to a dm, Lucas should be sold and two dms should be brought in.If we don't sign atleast one we are fucked and will have the same problems next season.

I think Can would look even better if he had someone else half decent alongside him.

Most of the time, the poor sod has looked beseiged, being the defences only protection, and then expected to lead the charge and take it to our opponents.

It's like watching Zulu.

Hold'em hold'em.

I'm starting to worry Klopp sees him as our dm, after all the times teams that have run through our midfield if that's the case then its negligence.

If anything Id have him doing a similar role as Xabi next to a dm, Lucas should be sold and two dms should be brought in.If we don't sign atleast one we are fucked and will have the same problems next season.

You worried that Klopp might know a bit more about football and his players than you ?

Without actually checking, I'd say that Klopp has developed more players into top notch operators than you.  But I'll bet even in his Dortmund days he had people "who knew better" questioning his decisions.

I'm sure Klopp is losing sleep at nights wondering whether he's got your seal of approval on his dealings and tactics.

• 5 months later...