You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

I appreciated Pep Guardiola’s honesty at Bayern Munich, reveals Emre Can.

4781837.jpg

Emre Can has revealed that he appreciated the honesty of Pep Guardiola before he left Bayern Munich three years ago, and he also confirmed that he’s “very happy” at Liverpool.

Can joined Bayer Leverkusen from Bayern back in the summer of 2013, spending a productive season at the club before being snapped up by Liverpool a year later. Since then, after a patchy debut campaign in the Premier League, the German international has really found his feet this year, flourishing under the guidance of Jurgen Klopp.

The 22-year-old’s versatility often worked against him in his first season at Anfield, with Brendan Rodgers playing him in a variety of positions, but under Klopp he’s established himself as a rock in the middle of the park, performing to his massive potential.

Having come through the ranks at Bayern, his current progression shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise, even though they sold him. However, Can has opened up about that move from the Allianz Arena, revealing that he’s appreciative of Guardiola’s honesty regarding the limited game time he would’ve had.

“I am very appreciative of his honesty,” the midfielder told the Deutscher Fussball-Bund website. “He told me he couldn’t guarantee me playing time. As a young player you want as much time as possible. I saw more opportunity in Leverkusen, and looking back now it was the correct decision.

Can was then asked if he wanted to return to the Bundesliga or Bayern in the future, to which he added: “No, not at the moment. I am very happy in Liverpool and have a long-term contract here. The Premier League was always my aim, it’s the best league in the world for me. I am happy here, I like it a lot.”

The German international has scored one goal and created 31 chances in 29 Premier League appearances this season, with a shot accuracy of 55% and an average pass accuracy of 81%.

The Reds sit eighth on 51 points following their 2-1 win over Bournemouth on Sunday, level with Southampton above them in seventh and five adrift of Manchester United in fifth with just six games remaining.

Next up for them is the Merseyside derby at Anfield on Wednesday night, with Everton struggling down in 11th after yet another draw against the Saints on Saturday. After that, Liverpool take on Newcastle United at the weekend, with former boss Rafa Benitez returning to the club.

That's nice to hear that he likes it here.

He's shown tremendous signs in the past couple of months. I still think his best position is box to box... Khedira with better end product, if you like. Controlling the game from deep isn't his strength.

• 2 weeks later...