You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

I'm doubtful we will improve on him, put it that way. He is still several years away from his peak, of course.

I just don't see enough of a player in there. He has good games but for every good game there are 4 or 5 bad ones. He doesn't control the tempo of a game he is not some magician with the ball at his feet he's not some tough tacking DM I just think we could replace him fairly easily. We just need to find out what position we are replacing him for.

If it’s true we won’t insert a release clause and that’s why he hasn’t signed an extension to his contract then we truly have cut our noses off to spite our face... ridiculous decision

I dont think juve would touch him if we did. Got buy to flip wrote all over it. Nowhere near good enough for thwm.

Either we do release clauses or we don’t. The club is on the side of not doing them, so it helps us to hold on to players if we don’t want to/aren’t ready to let them go e.g. Coutinho.

Can is not nearly in Coutinho’s class so he’s having a laugh if he thinks he’s worth approximately Coutinho’s salary to us. And if he wanted a low release clause in his deal, then again, he’s having a laugh as that will be a benchmark that others will copy and it will damage the club.

I know it’s not de rigeur to praise the club, but in this instance they’ve shown strength and I’m glad they did. We will lose Emre, but he’s not so good that I’m crying about it.

Spot on

I'm doubtful we will improve on him, put it that way. He is still several years away from his peak, of course.

We already have Keita is a big improve.

He see's the writing on the wall; he'll be battling w/Gini and Gruijic to be on the bench.  All it takes is a season with minimal injuries and his minutes will drop big time.

Difficult to understand FSG's stance from a financial standpoint. Can will need to be replaced, so that will entail another transfer fee. £150k per week is about £40m over a five year contract. That money will only buy you a £20m player on £75k per week. I highly doubt we could upgrade on the player with that meagre outlay.

Why would superior players like Mane, Lallana, Salah and Moreno settle for beingbon far less wages than Can?

As for Can vs Hendo, its close but i know which one we miss more when injured.

I want Can to stay. Not just for his ravishing hair but he's a good player too. Once Lallana is back and next season Keita will be here, we'll be mostly sorted in central midfield assuming Can is still here.

Hes had plenty of time to sign a new contract yet hasn't,months in fact. I'd say we just need to accept he's a goner.

It’s bullshit that once again we’ve let a promising youngster develop here and get all his mistakes out of the way and then leave on a free, if he didn’t have one year left on his deal at the end of last season id say he was bordering on the £40m mark in terms of valuation. We’ll lose him for nothing, I honestly think he’s going to go on to be one of the best in the world, he’s very similar to Khedira and will benefit from watching and working with him closely for a season or two and take over from him in the starting XI, the thing is he’ll go to Juve and not be expected to start every game so will have time to develop that bit slower, we rely on him here and he needs to be on his A Game every match. His type of player seems to get better as they get older, like Yaya, Khedira etc.

I dont think juve would touch him if we did. Got buy to flip wrote all over it. Nowhere near good enough for thwm.

Have thought this since seeing their interest in him. He's nowhere near good enough to play for them regularly. He'll be a squad player for 12 months then someone will take a punt on him for £30m. or so.

Difficult to understand FSG's stance from a financial standpoint. Can will need to be replaced, so that will entail another transfer fee. £150k per week is about £40m over a five year contract. That money will only buy you a £20m player on £75k per week. I highly doubt we could upgrade on the player with that meagre outlay.

Easy to understand I'd say. They bought him for £10m and probably 50k a week. He has been worth that so has paid for the 20m or so himself.

I do not think Klopp is a huge fan. If he signs a 150k a week 4 year contract and he loses his place in year 1 and then becomes a 2nd choice player season 2 we sell for the agreed 25m buyout clause but pay the remainder of his contract, he costs 37.5m for 2 seasons where he hasn't been 1st choice.

Why not buy a replacement and hopefully he is the player the manager wants and is an upgrade and is worth the outlay.

I don't care if he leaves of a free, it's not something that will ruin my day.  It works the other way when we pick up a freebie.

The way I see it we've had some decent use out of him and needed him this season.  His exit will coincide with the major signing of Keita in what will hopefully prove to be an upgrade.

I don't care if he leaves of a free, it's not something that will ruin my day. It works the other way when we pick up a freebie.

The way I see it we've had some decent use out of him and needed him this season. His exit will coincide with the major signing of Keita in what will hopefully prove to be an upgrade.

Problem is,I can just see something going awry on the Keita deal knowing how we operate and we'll lose both of them. Its the Liverpool way.

Klopp's thoughts on Emre wanting to go to Juventus...

“If it happens like that we can’t change it,” Klopp shrugged. “If there’s a player out there with a contract ending next summer and he’s good, which Emre obviously is, we’d try to do the same.

Leon Goretzka maybe?

• Upvote 1

Crap situation softened by the fact he's being replaced by a far superior player.

I'm quite pleased about how it turned out actually it seems to me that for once footballing decisions trumped financial ones. Sure, we could have sold him and added to it to the pile of money we were having difficulty using anyway (or used it for Yacht Upgrades). Would have left ourselves short in midfield, probably have had to bring in an unknown quantity until Keita arrived. It would have been the moneyball thing to do that's for sure. Instead we locked down Keita even though RBL weren't for budging one simple upgrade.

Sure, we failed to maximize our income, but that's FSGs problem, not the teams.

Down side is we have to put up with Can switching off in the defensive 1/3rd about as often a Lovren faux-pas, but hey you can't have it all.

Pretty interesting that.

We're so bad in the transfer market that selling our £30m midfielder would only raise more problems.

If we had to give away our midfielders for free I'd give Gini and Henderson away before Can. Those 2 have reached their peak which is below the standard that should be required. Can can go way beyond that, his performances in the big games show that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1