You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

Guest Pistonbroke

In talks about extending his contract and "very happy at Liverpool".

The German commentary team on DANZ were talking about that but my son distracted me from what they were saying as we had just scored and he was dancing about the room. 

Thought he had a good game today and his energy compliments the way we are playing. He does however have this nasty habit of being unaware of what is going on around him at times. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Fucking dog shit today. Just jogged around and made far too many mistakes in important areas of the park. He looked totally half arsed and a liability. 

As a midfielder, he can do just about everything to a high level because he's strong, can pass, can tackle, and can make runs into threatening positions. In terms of physical attributes, he's short of a yard of pace yet can still motor past people when he gets on a charge. The biggest problem with him stems from his self-confidence because at times, he can be very lackadaisical and switch off because he feels he's doing well. When he's in that frame of mind, it takes him ages to realise that such an attitude has allowed his opponents to gain a proper foothold in the game.

Game intelligence is the one area where he needs the most work.

• Upvote 1

I've posted a couple of times that I don't think he will make it here. He's a good player, obviously, and he may well go on to be very good, but I'm not quite seeing it. There will be plenty of takers if we let him go, and I wouldn't be wholly against it, especially if we can sign a real top quality midfielder that Klopp wants.

I'd like to see us sign Franck Kessie but it looks like everyone is in for him. Dahoud has obviously been on the radar for a while, and now there are links to the fella at Leipzig whose name escapes me right now. Klopp is going to shape his team, no doubt about it, and while I think Can is a decent player I'm not sure he's going to make it here for the long haul.

The main reason, for me at least, is because he just seems slightly too slow in thought. If we could map King Kenny's brain when he received the ball in his pomp, it would look like one of those Terminator schematics where he sees all possibilities, clearly, and in the blink of an eye. That sort of gift is extremely rare, at least to the degree Kenny had it, but the better professional footballers seem to have some sort of image in their mind when they get the ball.

I'm not sure Can has this vision. There are a lot of attributes he does have - strength, pace when he's on the gallop, a decent shot at times - but the one thing he doesn't have is the key deficiency that I think led Bayern Munich to let him go to Leverkusen. We bought him for £10M or whatever, and it was decent business. It would have been outstanding business if he kicked on, but I'm not sure he will.

If we want to get to the very top we need better.

• Upvote 3