You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

How much of that £7m was up front? The guy has had 0 starts. When he has played, I've liked what I've seen. Certainly enough to be part of the squad after a year on loan.

You and I both know it was a shocking signing, same as Aspas same as that horrible cunt Moses and same as Cissokho although he wasn't as bad as the other 3, that committee is a joke, and it's now clear like what myself and many on here said its easy to scout for man city when you pay over £100k a week and and £20m fees like it's going out of fashion, Alberto and Aspas where absolute stinkers and I'd bet we've seen the last of them, Rodgers is no fool thankfully, and this summer him rather than the man city bluffers will be calling the shots, lets just hope the owners don't let him down like they have in last 2 windows

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You and I both know it was a shocking signing

No, we don't. At all. You might, but you write off everybody just in case. 

The same cunts who were bashing Henderson and Allen are out complaining about Can and branding Luis Alberto a waste of money. Someone would have thought that the Henderson transformation would be a lesson for the skysports generation of girly fans. Luis Alberto is a talented player who needs at least 2-3 season before we know how good he will be

Aspas on the other hand was the definition of a SHITE signing. 26yr old with only one season in Primera Division while the rest of his career was in lower leagues and he never represented his country at any level.

So yeah there are many differences between Aspas and Alberto's cases and there is nothing in common with Emre Can's case, but the fucking idiots like to generalise and somehow develop ill-informed conclusions, presenting them as common knowledge.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You and I both know it was a shocking signing, same as Aspas same as that horrible cunt Moses and same as Cissokho although he wasn't as bad as the other 3, that committee is a joke, and it's now clear like what myself and many on here said its easy to scout for man city when you pay over £100k a week and and £20m fees like it's going out of fashion, Alberto and Aspas where absolute stinkers and I'd bet we've seen the last of them, Rodgers is no fool thankfully, and this summer him rather than the man city bluffers will be calling the shots, lets just hope the owners don't let him down like they have in last 2 windows

My understanding is that the issue isn't "the Man City bluffers"; it's the stat nerd, Michael Edwards in combination with the "value, value, value" philosophy.

I have no problem with the latter, but stats-based scouting without recourse to a serious set of eye tests (copyright D. Usher) is fucking ridiculous.

When it comes to young players you're always going to get a high percentage that don't pan out.  Even a decent number of the big-money youngsters don't end up working out, and that goes double for the sub-£10m ones.

I still think it should be a part of our transfer strategy to buy these players; we certainly can't afford these players once they're 24 and at the top of the world, so the closest we can come is to buy them for £8 million or whatever when they're 18 or 20.  Of course, that presupposes that we have scouts capable of locating players who can go to the very top even if they're flawed in their youth.

I see Alberto and Ilori both as a sort of package deal in this sense - we spend £14m on a pair of risky players, hoping that one of them might develop.  We'll have to see what happens, but the signs look good for Ilori, and if we end up getting £3m back for Alberto when we sold him then the £11m overall outlay for a player who looks like he might be a future mainstay for us in defense will look like a bargain.

I admit that it's rather distasteful to look at a football club as a sort of investment portfolio, but that's the world we live in and I think this strategy will have to work for us to be successful in the future.  I can't see any other way we can develop a squad capable of competing with the likes of City's and Chelsea's (though having a manager who seems to be able to add 10 points or so worth of value to the team is certainly a big part!).

Where Can fits into this I can't really say; he seems to be a bit more of a sure thing than either Ilori or Alberto were, but for the price I think still seems to offer good value.  I just hope that means we're able to go for a player that might not be the best value but who is the best player for our side in another position.  I'll be a bit worried if every signing turns out to be the "good value" option.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Strange that the people are creaming themselves over a player who's only appearance on British soil saw him totally humiliated against Man utd are saying for an approx 8mil more, Adam Lallanna is over priced.

Out of interest, who is creaming themselves?

Out of interest, who is creaming themselves?

Well maybe creaming themselves is an exaggeration, but the positive vibe on this thread for a moneyballl type signing who has failed on his one appearance on British soil compered to the people worried about splashing out on a player (Lallanna) our manger has gone on record to praise is confusing. Stockholm syndrome perhaps?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Well maybe creaming themselves is an exaggeration, but the positive vibe on this thread for a moneyballl type signing who has failed on his one appearance on British soil compered to the people worried about splashing out on a player (Lallanna) our manger has gone on record to praise is confusing. Stockholm syndrome perhaps?

I've seen way, way more skepticism than I have positive vibes. For me, he's at a totally different stage of his career and the difference in fee we're talking about is, according to the echo, as big as 17m. Not sure on the relevance of him playing as a left back against United, to be honest. I didn't see the performance, but it doesn't really matter how he did. We'd be buying him for his attributes as a defensive midfielder and his potential going forward. 

Who are the captors and the captives in this cream filled hostage analogy?

Ian Ayre the captor, the rest of us captives, you really don't need these proven players the manager wants, you need a truck load of cheap barca b players who or may not come good in years to come.

Ian Ayre the captor, the rest of us captives, you really don't need these proven players the manager wants, you need a truck load of cheap barca b players who or may not come good in years to come.

I'm pretty sure there's not too many reds who are overly affectionate for are Ian, especially on this board.

Given that the best team in Spain just came within a whisker of winning the champions league on a wage budget lower than QPR's I'd say there's something in looking for value at the lower end of the market. We're just not very good at it yet.

I'm pretty sure there's not too many reds who are overly affectionate for are Ian, especially on this board.

Given that the best team in Spain just came within a whisker of winning the champions league on a wage budget lower than QPR's I'd say there's something in looking for value at the lower end of the market. We're just not very good at it yet.

If reports are true, Lallanna would be getting around 70 grand a week. Not a massive outlay compered to most players available in his position.

Alot of the really good value comes from South America and that isn't possible for us with visa and ownership issues.

Never seen him play but he's fucking brilliant and if we don't sign him it's a fucking disgrace

I disagree entirely. I've not seen anything from him in a Liverpool shirt to suggest he'll make it here, and I think we should get rid of him before we even buy him.

• Upvote 1

I disagree entirely. I've not seen anything from him in a Liverpool shirt to suggest he'll make it here, and I think we should get rid of him before we even buy him.

Call me a superfan but I'm willing to give the lad a chance. If we still haven't seen anything by the start of July then reluctantly I'll join the bt sport generation trequarhipsters in wanting to bin the cunt.