You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Lallana

WhiskeyJar

He's going to be fucking class for us. I love how he carries the ball and makes space. He just seems to ghost and nobody picks him up or closes him down. 

The chances created thing is just a stat. It means fuck all ultimately. If you want to judge him use your eyes and see how much better he is now he's getting somewhere near full fitness.

• Upvote 2

3 chances created in 200 mins of Premier League football so far. Like Downing, will excel against lower league opposition but do fuck all against decent opposition. 25M you're having a laugh.

2013/14 - Lallana against big teams:

Assist for Lovren winner against us at Anfield

Equaliser against Man United at Old Trafford

First goal vs Tottenham, and assist for the second.

Equaliser vs Arsenal

Second goal against Tottenham in 3-2 defeat

• Upvote 1

I remember Downing being decent in the league cup final against Cardiff and also in cup ties against smaller opposition.

Whats with the Downing comparison? 

When Downing got tackled he hid and didn't want to know would just play the match out playing simple passes and not shooting (A bit like Markovic)

Lallana got upended by Barry in the first 2 minutes and still performed to a very good level and was showing for the ball and committing players all afternoon. 

Downing was a shithouse so far Lallana has shown he's not and is improving game by game.

• Upvote 1

Southampton are the most scouted club in England and yet no big club wanted Lallana until he was 25. He's an average footballer, no pace, vastly overrated technical ability and was able to play without pressure or tactical requirements at Southampton thanks to lower expectations and two holding midfielders behind him.

The majority of this forum wanted Sterling sent on loan and Suarez sold last summer, not really bothered what people think. A positivity bias is just as bad as a negativity bias, in fact it's probably worse.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Southampton are the most scouted club in England and yet no big club wanted Lallana until he was 25. He's an average footballer, no pace, vastly overrated technical ability and was able to play without pressure or tactical requirements at Southampton thanks to lower expectations and two holding midfielders behind him. The majority of this forum wanted Sterling sent on loan and Suarez sold last summer, not really bothered what people think. A positivity bias is just as bad as a negativity bias, in fact it's probably worse.

Southampton are the most scouted club in England and yet no big club wanted Lallana until he was 25. He's an average footballer, no pace, vastly overrated technical ability and was able to play without pressure or tactical requirements at Southampton thanks to lower expectations and two holding midfielders behind him. The majority of this forum wanted Sterling sent on loan and Suarez sold last summer, not really bothered what people think. A positivity bias is just as bad as a negativity bias, in fact it's probably worse.

Southmpton are a well scouted club, this much is true. Spurs bid for Sheidelin, Man utd paid 27mil for their left back. Arsenal paid big money for Chambers. We bought their captain and player of the year. yep he must be shit.

He's going to be fucking class for us. I love how he carries the ball and makes space. He just seems to ghost and nobody picks him up or closes him down.

The chances created thing is just a stat. It means fuck all ultimately. If you want to judge him use your eyes and see how much better he is now he's getting somewhere near full fitness.

I agree mate. That chances created and assists stat for that matter is a bit misleading. I've seen Pirlo say he (think its in his book) had something like 13 assists in a season but had the highest by quite a distance of the pass that leads to the assist, he doesn't get any recognition for that pass in terms of assists but it opened the other team up enable Juventus to score. Neither a chance created or assist, that's how it's misleading.

Lallana on the other hand will be a massive player for us this season, he's quality on the ball and his dribbling creates space for others, like some have said, judge him and a few others when we have Sturridge back and Coutinho on form.

2013/14 - Lallana against big teams:

Assist for Lovren winner against us at Anfield

Equaliser against Man United at Old Trafford

First goal vs Tottenham, and assist for the second.

Equaliser vs Arsenal

Second goal against Tottenham in 3-2 defeat

Yeah, but what did the Romans ever do for us?

Southmpton are a well scouted club, this much is true. Spurs bid for Sheidelin, Man utd paid 27mil for their left back. Arsenal paid big money for Chambers. We bought their captain and player of the year. yep he must be shit.

Yet somehow while everyone was picking off Southampton, they still managed to hold on to  their (in my opinion) better players. I'm convinvced that Cork and Fonte for example were overlooked and improved in just about every position by buying well. Anyway, Lallana will be a very good player. I don't know why people have beef after only 6 matches, and he's only just come back from a knee injury. Was probably MOTM against Everton and there are probably more performances like that to come once he's reached full fitness. To the naysayers: give him a chance, eh?

Lallana is looking better every game, can him an couthino play n the same team ? I'd like to see it.

I'd say players like Lallana would be perfect for Coutinho. Quick feet, moves well with and without the ball and (the key one for Coutinho) makes himself available for others. Coutinho is struggling mainly because of a lack of movement around him.

I agree.  I think the (misguided) reasoning behind Brendan's choice of selecting Borini was to increase the pace of the game in the top third.  It slows down too quickly without Sturridge.

When Sturridge is back Coutinho will be boss again.

• Upvote 1

I agree.  I think the (misguided) reasoning behind Brendan's choice of selecting Borini was to increase the pace of the game in the top third.  It slows down too quickly without Sturridge.

When Sturridge is back Coutinho will be boss again.

When Sturridge is back we will start testing teams again, that is part of the problem. The way we have performed so far this season with the exception of one game has been fucking horrendous, 7 points from 6 games is a joke and it's mostly been down to the defence as a unit not being able to hold their own water, same as last year really and it's looking increasingly apparent it's not the players that are the problem