You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Lallana

WhiskeyJar

No, I said Veron and Shevchenko weren't overhyped. What's going on on here today? Some kind of forum rage? 

No forum rage, just trying to work out where you're coming from.  Overhyped/overpriced, whatever; the terms are interchangeable for the purpose of this discussion, the argument being that too much hype increases the cost of English players is it not?

Personally I think this is a European wide issue and not restricted to the domestic game.  Transfer fees are high everywhere for all types of players, it seems to me.  You can get bargains in England and you can ripped off. Same for foreign players. But I think this "English tax" is becoming a bit of a myth as prices around Europe increase. 

Fans in all countries like to see some home grown talent in their sides. English clubs buy the Cahills, Zahas and Jones of this world hoping they've found a talent that'll be around for a decade as they refuse to go abroad and rarely travel between rivals. The scarcity of English players good enough for the top level inflates the price.

• Upvote 1

You said genetics always trumps hard work. That is bollocks. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't apply it, you're fucked.

Saying that; talent plus graft will always trump graft.

And you can work like a dog on the pitch chase everything and still be shit. You need varying degrees of both to get by.

If hard graft trumps genetics, that must mean the literally thousands of youth players we've released over the decades were simply not working hard enough. The only person who'd agree with this is Iain Duncan Smith. 

Someone should tell all those white lads out there with dreams of winning the 100 metres at the Olympics too that all is not lost.  

It depends on the genetics and how hard the other person works. Genetics only really have a say in really basic sports, like how fast you can run over 100 metres (like you rightly said) or Bodybuilding in terms of how easy you build muscle. Football's far too complex a sport for genetics to be the overriding factor. Take someone like Modric, would you say he has good genetics? he's a midget, he's about 5 foot 2, and he's got no strength whatsoever, yet he plays for the world's biggest football team.

Even Ronaldo who is the archetypal genetic freak, is eclipsed by another midget that can't even run very fast. Football's about more than genetics, one genetic disadvantage like being small can actually help your centre of gravity. Another genetic disadvantage like having little muscle can also be a genetic advantage because you have better endurance, so it's always a trade off.

Back on track, Lallana seems to possess a foreign type of close control, guile, eye for a pass, intelligence, to his game plus backed by a British desire to work hard and close down opposition space when not in possession of the ball. Is that the reason Southampton are asking for double tax? Or are they just asking for loads of money because he is their captain, best player and a full international player who seems unfazed whatever level he plays at?

• Upvote 1

Well, it doesn't look like we will be paying "£25 million", does it? The reason the deal is on hold is that we won't pay more up front. We are, quite sensibly, offering them a smaller amount up front with add-ons based on achievements, etc. If Southampton don't accept that then I expect we will move on. If we sign him for £18 million up front and he plays a major part in us winning trophies next season then I doubt anyone will be complaining about having to pay an extra few million.

• Upvote 2

Well, it doesn't look like we will be paying "£25 million", does it? The reason the deal is on hold is that we won't pay more up front. We are, quite sensibly, offering them a smaller amount up front with add-ons based on achievements, etc. If Southampton don't accept that then I expect we will move on. If we sign him for £18 million up front and he plays a major part in us winning trophies next season then I doubt anyone will be complaining about having to pay an extra few million.

This is true.  The same things were said about Henderson.  If I recall correctly some of his fee was performance/achievement based. 

The Lambert fee - 4 rising to 9??

How does it more than double, if we win the league and he wins the Ballon d'Or?

That said, if we do pass on Lallana for whatever reason, there will be some miserable twat coming on here saying it is just like every other year, owners not supporting "their" guy, always settling for our fourth choice etc.

The Lambert fee - 4 rising to 9?? How does it more than double, if we win the league and he wins the Ballon d'Or? That said, if we do pass on Lallana for whatever reason, there will be some miserable twat coming on here saying it is just like every other year, owners not supporting "their" guy, always settling for our fourth choice etc.

Gets on my nerves a bit that, we've lost out on quite a few targets for whatever reasons (usually appears to be money related) so if we once again have ANOTHER long drawn out negotiation wasting time and effort then people will rightly be pissed off ,the last two windows have been fucking comical in the time wasted on deals that didn't work.

It's not about supporting 'their' guy it's about getting deals done and not farting about, I can't really remember any other club over these last few windows fucking around over deals only to eventually lose out. 3 or 4 big money signings last summer and Konoplyanka in January, hopefully though we've sorted that out this summer

That is down to the press though. Anyone who really believes we were "in" for Mktaryan or Costa or even Willian deserves it.

Konoplyanka I think we tried and got shafted.

Lallana if we pass I am not that bothered. I think we will try and move onto another quality player there.

If Moreno and Can go south, questiontime.

That is down to the press though. Anyone who really believes we were "in" for Mktaryan or Costa or even Willian deserves it.

Konoplyanka I think we tried and got shafted.

Lallana if we pass I am not that bothered. I think we will try and move onto another quality player there.

If Moreno and Can go south, questiontime.

Can can't go south anymore, it's confirmed by Bayer. Or am I missing something.