You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

These Manc Plane Banners

Section_31

I remember being at the front of the Pyramid stage watching Bowie in 2000, when a frisbee thrown high as could be from over the other side dropped perfectly out of the sky and twatted me clean in the eye while my guard was down.  People chuckling everywhere there was, but I just stifled a moan like Roger Moore being punched in the guts.

I shit 1980's football hooliganism for breakfast.

I remember being in the crowd at the Leeds festival in 2000, when Daphne and Celeste took to the main stage sandwiched between Rage against the machine and i think if my memory serves me right, Slipknot. During the chorus of "oh stick you your mama too and your daddy" Daphne got a 2 litre bottle of piss smashed in her face, mid song. They had to be ushered off the stage after a few numbers, because it was like that scene in braveheart with all the archers firing arrows at once, although replace arrows with bottles of piss.

• Upvote 1

I remember being in the crowd at the Leeds festival in 2000, when Daphne and Celeste took to the main stage sandwiched between Rage against the machine and i think if my memory serves me right, Slipknot. During the chorus of "oh stick you your mama too and your daddy" Daphne got a 2 litre bottle of piss smashed in her face, mid song. They had to be ushered off the stage after a few numbers, because it was like that scene in braveheart with all the archers firing arrows at once, although replace arrows with bottles of piss.

Leeds and Reading have been famous for it over the years haven't they.  Wasn't it 50 Cent who had to leave the stage at Reading after being showered with bottles of piss?  Who'd have thunk a traditionally metaller crowd wouldn't be game for him headlining.

'Chicks on Speed' got the bottled piss treatment too, when supporting James Brown and the Chilis at Hyde Park.  As per Ringo Starr, Jeffrey Archer could have made a killing that day.

To be honest if they are focusing on us instead of trying to make a stand about their debt riddled club then that's fine. Let's see what happens if they don't get top 4 next year either

the debt riddled club pales into insignificance compared to their debt riddled owners. H&G II

Seems a bit weird to me reminiscing about the good old days with less bile between fans when in those days Some fans of every other team used to try and beat the shit out of each other every saturday.

Fixed that for you, i went the matches home and away in the 80's and didn't beat or try to beat the shit out of anyone. Neither did most supporters i remember.

Leeds and Reading have been famous for it over the years haven't they.  Wasn't it 50 Cent who had to leave the stage at Reading after being showered with bottles of piss?  Who'd have thunk a traditionally metaller crowd wouldn't be game for him headlining.

'Chicks on Speed' got the bottled piss treatment too, when supporting James Brown and the Chilis at Hyde Park.  As per Ringo Starr, Jeffrey Archer could have made a killing that day.

I was at Leeds with 50 cent as well, 'fidy' took it with aplomb, carried on through it and G unit were throwing the bottles of piss back into the audience. He wasn't the headliner, but he was quite high up the bill, sandwiched between a couple of metal bands. He definitely won the crowd over though because he gave as good as he got. The Rasmus were the only ones bottled off the stage that year, they fucked off as soon as the bottles started flying, couldn't handle it.

Daphne and Celeste was the most savage i've ever seen though, it was a piss filled massacre. Everyone planned it beforehand, the only people that didn't know were Daphne and Celeste. People were carrying bottles of piss through security no problem, boots, food, anything they could throw and it all was launched through the air in unison the second that "oh stick you..." started.

I was at Leeds with 50 cent as well, 'fidy' took it with aplomb, carried on through it and G unit were throwing the bottles of piss back into the audience. He wasn't the headliner, but he was quite high up the bill, sandwiched between a couple of metal bands. He definitely won the crowd over though because he gave as good as he got. The Rasmus were the only ones bottled off the stage that year, they fucked off as soon as the bottles started flying, couldn't handle it.

Daphne and Celeste was the most savage i've ever seen though, it was a piss filled massacre. Everyone planned it beforehand, the only people that didn't know were Daphne and Celeste. People were carrying bottles of piss through security no problem, boots, food, anything they could throw and it all was launched through the air in unison the second that "oh stick you..." started.

Didn't realise that about Fifty Cent mate, fair play to him then - as per, reading the headlines only on a subject shown up for what it is!

Sounds like the crowd did to Daphne and Celeste what Calzaghe did to Lacey.  Would take an awful lot of heart to find it within yourself to go again in your career after a skelping like that.

I remember after the Milk Cup Final replay at Maine Road 84 there weren't quite enough buses put on to take fans back to the station and I ended up in a group of about 50-60 who had to walk to from Moss Side to the City Centre. 

We had just won our first of 3 trophies yet unless someone was wearing their colours I couldn't have told you who was a red or a blue. Some lads older than me were stood on the corner calling all the stragglers and disbanded groups over to them so we could walk back as one group. Everyone was looking out for eachother and whenever the group got stretched someone would be shouting at them to catch up so they weren't picked off ' Stay close together Merseyside' I remember hearing.

I doubt if that would happen now.

Now Kev the bluenose would be helping the Mancs ambush Kev the rednose. The fucking tits would be reading their cockney cor blimey hooligan books and want to replicate it on Merseyside.

It's so sad seeing the way the derby is going. We have more than a few reds that aren't saints and equally culpable, but the City game was a new low from them. I genuinely think even still that most reds would be cheering for them, if the shoe was on the other foot, if they were going for a title.

People mention Heysel changing things, but the two Cup finals in 86 and 89 were brilliant. Personally, I think it changed when we both stopped winning trophies and their demise was arguably bigger than ours - we went from being the biggest club in the world to being the second biggest in England, while they went from being the second biggest (certainly best) club in England to scraping to stay in the premier league.

• Upvote 2

Now Kev the bluenose would be helping the Mancs ambush Kev the rednose. The fucking tits would be reading their cockney cor blimey hooligan books and want to replicate it on Merseyside.

It's so sad seeing the way the derby is going. We have more than a few reds that aren't saints and equally culpable, but the City game was a new low from them. I genuinely think even still that most reds would be cheering for them, if the shoe was on the other foot, if they were going for a title.

People mention Heysel changing things, but the two Cup finals in 86 and 89 were brilliant. Personally, I think it changed when we both stopped winning trophies and their demise was arguably bigger than ours - we went from being the biggest club in the world to being the second biggest in England, while they went from being the second biggest (certainly best) club in England to scraping to stay in the premier league.

Nicky Alt put it well in Boys from the Mersey when he said none of these hooligan hero writers whoever the club was ever belonged to a 'firm' that lost a battle in their lives.Someone must be telling porkies.

• Upvote 1

I find the modern musician's response to piss bottling to be somewhat tepid.

If I were an act at one of these fetivals I'd hire six of those helicopters they use to fight forest fires, that carry the big containers used to drop water, and fill them with animal piss (preferably cat as that motherfucker will smell for weeks no matter how often you shower), or even raw sewage.

I'd take to the stage, and if piss bottled I'd stop the set, call up the cavalry, and have Ride Of The Valkyries blasting out of the speakers as my helicopters flew over the crowd, dispensing justice.

Now that's Rock and Roll.

• Upvote 4

Ideally, the helicopters would be able to fill up from the portaloos. Giving something back to the crowd you might say.

You see, you kick these ideas back and forth and people come up with those exquisite little details.

Im 46 and I can definitely recall most young lads my age watching Liverpool and Forest in Europe and wanting them to win. That would be City / Oldham / United where I lived. But it could be an age thing... In those days, European Cup competition was so 'distant' for most clubs. It simply wasn't something you'd ever take part in. It really was just for champions! Liverpool and Forest represented England (or certainly that was the view of the lads in my world)

Oldham? You're from Glossop aren't you!

I find the modern musician's response to piss bottling to be somewhat tepid.

If I were an act at one of these fetivals I'd hire six of those helicopters they use to fight forest fires, that carry the big containers used to drop water, and fill them with animal piss (preferably cat as that motherfucker will smell for weeks no matter how often you shower), or even raw sewage.

I'd take to the stage, and if piss bottled I'd stop the set, call up the cavalry, and have Ride Of The Valkyries blasting out of the speakers as my helicopters flew over the crowd, dispensing justice.

Now that's Rock and Roll.

Ideally, the helicopters would be able to fill up from the portaloos. Giving something back to the crowd you might say.

Superb.

When it comes to bottles-of-piss crowd interplay, Bonnie Tyler at Reading is the gold standard.

I remember after the Milk Cup Final replay at Maine Road 84 there weren't quite enough buses put on to take fans back to the station and I ended up in a group of about 50-60 who had to walk to from Moss Side to the City Centre. 

We had just won our first of 3 trophies yet unless someone was wearing their colours I couldn't have told you who was a red or a blue. Some lads older than me were stood on the corner calling all the stragglers and disbanded groups over to them so we could walk back as one group. Everyone was looking out for eachother and whenever the group got stretched someone would be shouting at them to catch up so they weren't picked off ' Stay close together Merseyside' I remember hearing.

I doubt if that would happen now.

Top story - really appreciated hearing it.  I was at the original game at Wembley and it was just a buzz from beginning to end.  The "Merseyside" chants were as triumphant and defiant as you could get - a war-chant in the face of government-led adversity.

Growing up in Malvern most of the kids supported midlands teams or perhaps teams that their dads had a link to. The only one I had a problem with was a United fan, or as he preferred to call them Unihted. This sounded particularly stupid when his accent was naturally a bit ooh arrr. He could justify it though as he had been on a bus trip and stood in the stretford end and that was how they said it so what was the problem?

This twat had no connection with Manchester at all but the fact that I was a Liverpool fan with connections to the city and regularly visited wound him up no end.

They have always been twisted twats.

You're from the Falklands?

I just find it funny that somewhere theres a utd fan who's cultivating a self image that hes the 'plane banner guy'. What a legend. What a waste of money. Who gives a shit.

the moyes banner was funny because it was made with an element of risk (that there wouldn't be a chance to use it), then the exact opportunity to unfurl it arose and the ensuing "show of defiance" played off against it only made the situation even more absurd.

Just to get back on topic for a moment, before we get too sanctimonious, we did have a "witty" banner about a certain football genius not long ago

We took the piss out of a club in decline, they're taking the piss out of one that has moved from 7th to 2nd. Us out of joy, them out of fear.

• Upvote 3

Just to get back on topic for a moment, before we get too sanctimonious, we did have a "witty" banner about a certain football genius not long ago

We also delivered it personally, and didn't keep hanging it outside the toilet every week.

As stunts go its boringly poor. They need to set their sights a lot higher. If they bundled David Moyes into a plane and parachuted him down on the centre circle of goodison park at kick off time on the first game of next season i might chip in a fiver.

• Upvote 2