You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

These Manc Plane Banners

Section_31

Serious question now... for the older ones....

I can't pick a point in time when things started changing, but there 'seemed' to be a time in the past when fans just celebrated what their own team did. If you won something, you cheered and if you didn't, you hoped for a change of fortune next season.

Now, everything is about the misfortunes of rivals. 

I can remember watching Liverpool and Forest (and Villa for that matter) and wanting an English club to represent us in Europe and show other nations that we still knew how to play the game.

I'm 'thinking' somewhere in the 80's it started to change, but that might be rose coloured specs / age related. 

You hear plenty of tales of watching Liverpool one week and Everton the next, or City / United etc... you supported one, and watched the other. But it's all turned so pathetically bitter. 

Was it the 80s?

The advent of social media, 24/7 football coverage and clueless idiots in high-profile media positions have made it easier for the average knobhead fan to make their voice heard and put across their ill-informed opinions. Social media in particular has made a lot of people think that others actually want to hear what they've got to say. Like it or not, we live in a 'look at me' society.

• Upvote 1

Im 31 and have always been selective over who I want to win when in europe. I remember hoping Norwich did well in the UEFA cup in the early/mid 90s when they played Bayern and Inter. Other than that its always been a case of wanting everyone to get thumped. But then I dont feel the need to support anyone due to the fact that we happenrd to be born in the same country.

I wonder if the massive cash influx of Sky and then Champions League changed things, or certainly accelerated the rate of change, in general fan behaviour.

Before then 7th to second wasn't something to restore widespread faith in football - teams got promoted and then competed for and won titles within the following year or two. Midtable sides the season before scouted well, coached well and had a run at the title.

Back then, I wonder if perhaps fans could afford a little more the mindset of "do your worst and good luck to you it'll be our turn next time, you're just keeping the seat warm". Now, your place is largely your place and a team's status in the pecking order is to a great extent on rails and pre-ordained - any success for a rival as a result threatens to take them out of your reach for years, decades maybe. Literally playing a different ballgame at times.

Perhaps, as in society as a whole, rather than all clubbing together and trying to change the overall problem, the banners, the trolling, the abuse, the bile, is the modern football fan's equivalent of going into town on the weekend and twatting a stranger in the face, as a means to outsource your unhappiness at a state of affairs you find less than agreeable or fair.

Or, of course, maybe I am making 5 out of 2 and 2 and wittering on bollocks, as is my wont.

• Upvote 5

It's just the most unbelievably small time behaviour for the self titled "biggest club in the world". I hope we don't start getting involved back to mock their failures. We should just point out every time they do it, and how many songs about us they have - then ignore the fucking cunts.

Sending planes over friendlies is one of the cringiest things I've ever seen from last any decent sized club.

Im 46 and I can definitely recall most young lads my age watching Liverpool and Forest in Europe and wanting them to win. That would be City / Oldham / United where I lived. But it could be an age thing... In those days, European Cup competition was so 'distant' for most clubs. It simply wasn't something you'd ever take part in. It really was just for champions! Liverpool and Forest represented England (or certainly that was the view of the lads in my world)

I don't think this is a modern fan thing, it's a manc thing. If you see how progressively fucked up the bitters got during their plummet that's small potatoes compared to these lot. They simply don't have the psychological tools to handle being shit and irrelevant. It's going to be ugly.

Im 46 and I can definitely recall most young lads my age watching Liverpool and Forest in Europe and wanting them to win. That would be City / Oldham / United where I lived. But it could be an age thing... In those days, European Cup competition was so 'distant' for most clubs. It simply wasn't something you'd ever take part in. It really was just for champions! Liverpool and Forest represented England (or certainly that was the view of the lads in my world)

I remember my Evertonian uncle telling me that when I was a kid. I was gobsmacked. But now, it's got to a point were I couldn't give a shit what happens to any other English club in Europe. I'll only be bothered if I have them in an accumulator.

It's definitely a modern thing,  but I wouldn't label it Manc. The Chavs  would probably hire a dozen helicopters if they had anything to boast about.

Interesting to note that City fans are not the ones rubbing it in after pipping us to the league while the Glams were nowhere. Long may they remain 20+ points beneath us

It's definitely a modern thing, but I wouldn't label it Manc. The Chavs would probably hire a dozen helicopters if they had anything to boast about.

Interesting to note that City fans are not the ones rubbing it in after pipping us to the league while the Glams were nowhere. Long may they remain 20+ points beneath us

Chelsea are the only other club I can imagine doing it. Because they're a similar fan base in that their enjoyment of football comes from bragging rights and trying to belittle other clubs rather than simply celebrating the achievements of their own club.

Genuinely can't imagine Liverpool fans hiring a plane to fly over Anfield when Hodgson was in charge.

Mancs have always been like this. Outraged when Murdock bought a stake in the club, outraged when the Glazers took over, outraged when the club turned shit, they're affronted by anything that doesn't go their own way and adept at drawing attention to their cause, be it Newton Heath scarfs, violent protests which sees the Glazers evacuated in police fans, setting up their own football club or flying banners.

The whole club is built on PR, spin and image, whether it was selling George Best wine glasses and underpants, a club crest with football club removed or the theatre of dreams shite, it stands to reason the fan base would reflect the club itself.

• Upvote 1

The Liverpool vs Everton rivalry started to go downhill in the 90's for various reasons, they became more bitter as perennial relegation candidates. The Heysel ban of English clubs during their pomp having the most significant effect. The fact they became United's feeder club under Moyes in the 2000's, left a sour taste. As did them living vicariously through Man United and their achievements. I'm sure it'll only get worse after this year's antics, in relation to their limp showing against City to stop us winning the title. That's the lowest it's ever been as far as i'm concerned.

• Upvote 1

I went to the Everton Cup Winners Cup Final in 85' and loads of Blues used to travel when we were playing in Europe. It's an age thing and I guess it represented a different era in the city. Us and them was Scousers against the world. They were happy when we won and we were happy when they won. It was the friendly derby and when rival firms came to town, it was Merseyside vs Chelsea, United, Newcastle etc..not saying I agree with it but that's the way it was.

To be fair back then, Everton were a very big club. They certainly wouldn't be bringing out DVDs for beating us or for coming 5th in the league. Older blues view the younger ones as total nitwits from my experience and I really don't blame them.

I used to have a big soft spot for City (not so much now with all their money) and clubs like Sunderland and Southampton.

United are really in a league of their own though. They reckoned they were the biggest club in the world when they were in the old Division Two. They have such a massive level of entitlement. I remember being on holidays a few years ago when they were playing AC in the Champions League and one of them telling me that Kaka needs to leave because AC are small-time compared to United. I looked for a hint of a joke, but all I got back was a deadpan, gormless expression.

I know fuck all about these Manc planes. How are they being stupid and disrespectful?

If you know fuck all, why are you repping people for negging people?

You claimed you knew fuck all about the Shamrock Rovers match as well, but were still taking the piss about the subject. Oh that's right, you were joking.

If pleading ignorance and faux indignation at the same time is your go, that's cool. Weird, but cool.

• Upvote 1

It's good to see during the hilarity of Moyes's tenure that no Liverpool fans took it upon themselves to fly a plane over Old Trafford taking the piss. I mean they limped out of the champions league after celebrating as if they were going through against Bayern. They were bummed continuously at their own ground in the league, and finished the season in 7th place, behind a dismal Spurs side.

Yet we play the best football in the league, finish 2nd, two points off the top and they're flying planes left, right and centre over Anfield trying to rub it in. What are you trying to rub in exactly? that we finished 20 points ahead of you? or that you've been celebrating jubilantly in the streets with one of your fiercest rivals all week? They are the ultimate small time, big club.

• Upvote 11

It was an ironic remark about how stupid, inconsiderate and disrespectful they're being.

Get sanctimonious if you like though.

You in particular too, Tony.

More fool you for not pressing the "irony" key on your keyboard when you posted.

It's good to see during the hilarity of Moyes's tenure that no Liverpool fans took it upon themselves to fly a plane over Old Trafford taking the piss. I mean they limped out of the champions league after celebrating as if they were going through against Bayern. They were bummed continuously at their own ground in the league, and finished the season in 7th place, behind a dismal Spurs side.

Yet we play the best football in the league, finish 2nd, two points off the top and they're flying planes left, right and centre over Anfield trying to rub it in. What are you trying to rub in exactly? that we finished 20 points ahead of you? or that you've been celebrating jubilantly in the streets with one of your fiercest rivals all week? They are the ultimate small time, big club.

Yep.

Epitomised by comparing the grace and dignity of the respective people at the top, when our two clubs were respectively at the top.

Our Paisley, and their Ferguson.

The "bigger" club?

It's a no contest, and always will be.