You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

Anyone arguing that even a Reina post Benitez isn't better than this piece of shit needs sectioning.

There isn't much in it, if you could take the best traits of both you'd have a top keeper. Both have too many weaknesses for a side aspiring to challenge though. I'd pick Mignolet over Reina, but ideally we'd have neither as our number one.

Mignolet is still young for a goalkeeper, he'll improve, but we can't afford to wait for him. The ideal situation would be to bring someone like Valdes (Cech ideally but the window's obviously shut) and develop Mignolet, but I can't see the Belgian being happy on the bench, he'd leave and we'd find ourselves looking for a keeper again in a couple of years.

There isn't much in it, if you could take the best traits of both you'd have a top keeper. Both have too many weaknesses for a side aspiring to challenge though. I'd pick Mignolet over Reina, but ideally we'd have neither as our number one.

Mignolet is still young for a goalkeeper, he'll improve, but we can't afford to wait for him. The ideal situation would be to bring someone like Valdes (Cech ideally but the window's obviously shut) and develop Mignolet, but I can't see the Belgian being happy on the bench, he'd leave and we'd find ourselves looking for a keeper again in a couple of years.

Chelsea would never sell him to us anyhow.

As I said when we signed him, he was fucking shit at Sunderland, he'll be shit here and if/when we fuck him off, he'll be shit for whichever team signs him.  This "he's a shot stopper" bulshit doesn't wash.  He's a goalkeeper, so his fucking job is to stop shots, the fact he can't do fuck all else is an issue.

Hes having a pretty poor season at present.

I do think that hes average at everything but shot stopping. I think his kicking is awful,his distribution is terrible and his positioning is chronic.

These can be improved upon but its difficult to do with an average GK coach and in a team fighting for the CL places.

Only solution in the short term is a signing who will genuinely put him under pressure,maybe Valdez will be that pressure.

I also have to add that in a team where the manager seems to focus entirely on scoring that everybody in a defensive position is going to be under pressure for periods of time anyway. This can exaggerate faults too.

Is he?

By the age of 26 Reina had three golden gloves.

By age 30 he was written off.

Reina was the best keeper we've had since Clemence at his peak.

Mignolet as long as there's a hole in his arse won't ever get near that level.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't think he had a chance with any of the goals & dealt with a handful of crosses pretty well, & not sure why he even ranks a mention with at least 8 worse performers.

Had to chuckle at the impregnable Begovic wandering around like a pensioner who'd dropped his bus pass for QPR's first goal.

Anyone arguing that even a Reina post Benitez isn't better than this piece of shit needs sectioning.

In terms of ability yes, but not in terms of application in recent years, His attitude stank the place, which is why Rodgers bombed him out. The apocryphal stories doing the rounds only hint at what went on. That he has gone to sit on the bench at Bayern tells you all that you need to know.

The list of culprits for our indifferent start to the season has several names ahead of Mignolet.

In terms of ability yes, but not in terms of application in recent years, His attitude stank the place, which is why Rodgers bombed him out. The apocryphal stories doing the rounds only hint at what went on. That he has gone to sit on the bench at Bayern tells you all that you need to know.

The list of culprits for our indifferent start to the season has several names ahead of Mignolet.

Ah it was his attitude then.

Not the fact that FSG wanted to get rid of him and his contract.

Vague insinuations do not constitute fact.

His temporary move to the Serie A outfit, which will see him reunited with former Kop boss Rafa Benitez, is expected to go through in the next 24 hours.

“Financially it is something we needed to look at,” Rodgers said.

“That would be the reason because obviously you wouldn’t move on a top goalkeeper.

“It reared its head over the last few months and I had to prepare for it by bringing in a new goalkeeper.

“Pepe is a good guy. I’ve a lot of time for him, and he understands what I want to do totally.

“He’s got a big season ahead because it’s a World Cup year and one where, if he wasn’t going to be playing, could severely harm his chances of going.”

Don't think he had a chance with any of the goals & dealt with a handful of crosses pretty well, & not sure why he even ranks a mention with at least 8 worse performers.

Had to chuckle at the impregnable Begovic wandering around like a pensioner who'd dropped his bus pass for QPR's first goal.

Have to agree with you. The reina lovers want to blame him for every goal. Yes when he makes gaffes, as reina did, fair comment.

Please have another look at the first goal yesterday and tell me he is not at fault for it.

Sunday league levels of goalkeeping.

I watched a BBC feature on the evolving presence of the  'sweeper/keeper'. Mainly about Neuer, naturally, but there was a German coach who pointed out that increasing athleticism also is present amongst the newer and younger keepers and the game is evolving into a true 11 man formation.

Could we be any farther from that with Mignolet in goal?

• Upvote 1

I watched a BBC feature on the evolving presence of the  'sweeper/keeper'. Mainly about Neuer, naturally, but there was a German coach who pointed out that increasing athleticism also is present amongst the newer and younger keepers and the game is evolving into a true 11 man formation.

Could we be any farther from that with Mignolet in goal?

What you mention there Rodgers already knows and we all know that type of keeper is the one Rodgers likes.

It begs the question why did we sign Mignolet when he is so far from being what Rodgers wants in a goalkeeper?

Was this transfer over Rodgers head? can't see it but it's a head scratcher, he would have been scouted thoroughly and his flaws would have been evident but we still went ahead and splashed good money on him, it doesn't make much sense.