You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

agree entirely Boss, but what are our aims for next year?

As we came 2nd, is our goal now 1st?

CL qualification in the bag, is our aim last 16, 8, 4 or win it?

In both cases I don't see Simon as solid as hoped as teams don't win things without a top GK.

To be fair to him, i think he increased ours or at least my expectations of him with the double save in the last minute vs Stoke.

I quite like Mignolet and think he could quite easily improve his cross gathering. He could also go the other way though a la when Dudek lost it. One of the main issues for me is none of him Skrtel Agger or Sakho is much of a vocal organiser. Johnson and Flano are quiet too.

Has had the odd brainfart & is definitely a line keeper, but I think overall I think he has done very well & I am enjoying not automatically expecting the net to bulge every time a shot is on target.

I think he is also ideal for the CL games as we won't get a physical bombardment from these fancy dan foreigners.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'd bring back Pepe. Mignolet is a decent 'keeper but Pepe was and still can be world class.

Not been watching him over the last few tears then?

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We have made enquiries about Loris ourselves.

Daniel Levy is a personal friend of mine, he said you're talking bollocks.

By personal friend, I mean I know his name. He still thinks you're a tit though.

In both cases I don't see Simon as solid as hoped as teams don't win things without a top GK.

To be fair to him, i think he increased ours or at least my expectations of him with the double save in the last minute vs Stoke.

Valdes was never a top keeper. Barca cleaned up with him.

Mignolet is better

The question is who is attainable thats better than Mignolet? thats the real crux of the issue.

I'd bring back Pepe. Mignolet is a decent 'keeper but Pepe was and still can be world class.

He drifted from being one of the top few keepers in the world to not even being in the top ten in England for me by the time he left. Some of his mistakes in his least season here were absolutely shocking.

Jury's still out on Mignolet, but I think we'd be better off looking to the future than the past if we're looking to improve on him.

It's all academic anyway as Rodgers wouldn't consider taking him back after that silly bridge-burning open letter to the fans that he wrote.

Reina was world class when in his first couple of years we looked like we're going somewhere. His form then dropped so drastically that it was almost shocking. Reina has no place for me at Liverpool and he knows that. Let's raid the buggers Stoke for Begovich, one of the best around in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I'm really undecided about him, its a bit chicken and egg for me. Do the defence drop so deep because they don't trust him or are they naturally happier to be deep. All the talk of signing a leader won't change our keeper, he and he alone decides when to come and when to stay, his defenders need to trust him to make the right call and more often that not he doesn't. This leads to indecision and record amounts of own goals. He's earned another season but the same again and he will be binned.

• Upvote 3

I'm really undecided about him, its a bit chicken and egg for me. Do the defence drop so deep because they don't trust him or are they naturally happier to be deep. All the talk of signing a leader won't change our keeper, he and he alone decides when to come and when to stay, his defenders need to trust him to make the right call and more often that not he doesn't. This leads to indecision and record amounts of own goals. He's earned another season but the same again and he will be binned.

Very well put. 

• Upvote 1

I loved Reina, all the fans loved him - but his last 2 seasons here were fucking shocking.  He cost us A LOT of points and din't win us any in his final 2 years.  Mignolet did save us a few times last season, but also cost us a couple of points.  If I had to choose between the two, it'd be Mignolet but I'd prefer it if we looked elsewhere.

That's only if we can offload both, we don't have the kind of money to be buying another keeper and keeping 3 on the books.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...