You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

Ward's just a kid in Premier a League goalkeeping terms and we are team that has lost as many games as we did in the whole of last season. Dropping him in at the deep end makes so sense at all.

This.

There is a big difference when giving young goalkeepers a chance, its not the same as outfield players. When was the last time a youth team goalkeeper went straight in to a Premier league first team and went on to be a success?  

It does annoy me though that we haven't got any competition for Mignolet. I really don't understand why we didn't go for either Alex McCarthy or Jack Butland, both young players who have some experience and would surely have chosen us over Stoke and Qpr if they were assured they'd get opportunities.  

In his defence he is a decent shot stopper, but he's absolute shite at everything else, look at courtious he is the complete opposite to mignolet , the way he commands his area is brilliant. Mignolet may make some game saving stops from time to time but his lack of command and his haplessness when he does come off his line probably costs us around 15 goals a season. He not got the mentality either. Like Carra said most of our team is mentally weak, him and Lovren being the worst of a bad bad bunch.

Ward's just a kid in Premier a League goalkeeping terms and we are team that has lost as many games as we did in the whole of last season. Dropping him in at the deep end makes so sense at all.

Wouldn't worry about it, Tony, he'll never play a single game for the first team. He'll do what every single other young keeper we've bought does, plays for the ressies, goes out on loan, then gets sold for peanuts or released, with the club at no point ever giving them a go in the first team.

• Upvote 1

john_achterberg_5023b2bd54f8a705214407.j

"Hi i'm John Achterberg, senior goalkeeping coach for Liverpool football club. What we focus on at Liverpool are drills and practise makes perfect. Such drills include palming the ball into the path of the on coming striker, misjudging the flight of the ball, flapping at corners, throwing your bodyweight away from the ball."

"We also work on visualisation techniques, we ask our keepers to visualise the ball going into the back of the net and practise the look of disbelief on their face. Most people think that look is instinctual, but i can assure you it's been honed during hundreds of hours of intensive work"

"Simon is a model student and his diligence and hard work have paid off this season with some astonishingly inept performances"

• Upvote 6

Whilst he isn't the player I'd have bought (I listed about 10 at the time, he wasn't one of them) but I think his weaknesses have been massively overstated, especially his distribution, and I think he has had a tough time of it with a back four playing like it has. Of course, if a keeper came along who was better I'd not hesitate to swap them out, but for me it's without doubt that he had a positive contribution to our season.

Where do these people go when they turn out wrong,

Jones is scared of his own shadow.  He is really, really awful.

All he's worried about is not messing up his lovely hairstyle, taking his £30,000 pay cheque or whatever and going home to smash his stunning wife.

EDIT: I know he had a terrible tragedy in his life over the last few years so feel for the guy in that respect.

Jones is scared of his own shadow.  He is really, really awful.

All he's worried about is not messing up his lovely hairstyle, taking his £30,000 pay cheque or whatever and going home to smash his stunning wife.

EDIT: I know he had a terrible tragedy in his life over the last few years so feel for the guy in that respect.

softened the blow there at the end bouncebrigade.  All you missed was a little motivational coda and he'd have been bounding up those steps tomorrow.