You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

I was always disappointed that Mike Jones never had Pepe wearing one of those turtle-neck knitted goalies jumpers from the 50's

Good call. They must have been great when it rained. 10 kilos of soggy wool wrapped around the torso would have been a massive help in getting around the ankle deep mud in the 6 yard box wearing knee length shorts and a pair of hobnail boots. 

A better performance. A couple of ropey punches in the first half, especially one he could have caught as he was under no pressure. Lovren played a shit ball back to his left foot in the second half that he booted straight to touch.

Looked like he'd been told to be decisive in the air and either catch or punch.

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to take any positives out of todays game but Mignolet played pretty well.

He came for more crosses than normal and took one in the second half that he wouldn't normally have come for, shouted clearly it was his ball and took responsibility for it. Still needs to do a lot more but having a keeper coming to get crosses might mean the centre backs have one less thing to worry about.

Hard to take any positives out of todays game but Mignolet played pretty well.

He came for more crosses than normal and took one in the second half that he wouldn't normally have come for, shouted clearly it was his ball and took responsibility for it. Still needs to do a lot more but having a keeper coming to get crosses might mean the centre backs have one less thing to worry about.

He did a few things you'd expect any keeper to do but I can't get too excited about it.  He got away with one horror show on a corner and left at least one cross he should have gone for.  He also got a fair amount of credit for the one on one save with his feet but I thought he made himself small and got away with it due to a dreadful finish.

I put it this way I would take almost every first choice keeper in the premier league over him.  Off the top of my head I can only think of Green and Mannone who I wouldn't.

He did a few things you'd expect any keeper to do but I can't get too excited about it.  He got away with one horror show on a corner and left at least one cross he should have gone for.  He also got a fair amount of credit for the one on one save with his feet but I thought he made himself small and got away with it due to a dreadful finish.

I put it this way I would take almost every first choice keeper in the premier league over him.  Off the top of my head I can only think of Green and Mannone who I wouldn't.

He's an odd one. 

He make's some fantastic saves and looks like top class shot stopper.

When it comes to commanding his area though he looks like a keeper who wouldnt look out of place in the conference. 

He's an odd one. 

He make's some fantastic saves and looks like top class shot stopper.

When it comes to commanding his area though he looks like a keeper who wouldnt look out of place in the conference. 

I only have him down as a good shot stopper.  He occasionally makes excellent saves but also lets in a good few that he should save too.

I might sound over the top in saying this but I think he'd even struggle in the conference. He'd be having to deal with high balls constantly and be expected to kick the ball long every time.  Not exactly things he's strong at.

Flapped embarrassingly at two first half corners. Made a couple of good saves in the second half.

That's what he does.

Not quite true.

Sometimes he makes a couple of good saves in the first half, then flaps embarrassingly at two second half corners.

• Upvote 2

It seems Mignolet is weakest in the most important area of all for GKs,self confidence.

All GKs have flaws in their game and with the modern footballs being less predictable in flight than a Wembley Trophy or Winfield Special,very few are actually that good in the air.

The good ones all make mistakes and blame everybody else but themselves yet Mignolet doesnt seem very vocal nor does he seem to shrug off mistakes easily,he looks a bit of a sulker actually. He seems to be stuck in the mindset of being over safe and not taking risks which leads to problems of its own and a poor relationship with your defenders and team mates.

The number one question has to be though is,why did we sign a GK with such poor distribution in a team where keeping the ball and playing out from the keeper is crucial?

It seems Mignolet is weakest in the most important area of all for GKs,self confidence.

All GKs have flaws in their game and with the modern footballs being less predictable in flight than a Wembley Trophy or Winfield Special,very few are actually that good in the air.

The good ones all make mistakes and blame everybody else but themselves yet Mignolet doesnt seem very vocal nor does he seem to shrug off mistakes easily,he looks a bit of a sulker actually. He seems to be stuck in the mindset of being over safe and not taking risks which leads to problems of its own and a poor relationship with your defenders and team mates.

The number one question has to be though is,why did we sign a GK with such poor distribution in a team where keeping the ball and playing out from the keeper is crucial?

loves a cruyff turn