You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

Another terrible signing identified by our excuse for a recruitment team.  

As far as I can see he was signed on the basis of having the best saves to shots ratio in the league in the season before we signed him and nothing else.  I'd watched him play some shocking games for Sunderland (in particular a game at Villa just before we bought him) and I can't understand why we signed a keeper so poor on the ball when Rodgers had previously spoken about the importance of his keeper being comfortable with the ball at his feet. That's before you even get to his decision making on crosses and the concentration mistakes he makes.

Some of these scouts are absolutely stealing a living.

Mig is the anti-Reina.

A decent shot-stopper admittedly.

But in terms of commanding his box, sweeping up and his distribution of the ball? He hasn't got a fucking clue. 

Now puzzle me this, given Rodgers opining on 'death by football' etc - why would he buy a goalie who can barely kick the ball? 

What we need to do is look beyond Mignolet and say why have our goalkeepers gone to shit since Xavi Valero left? Why have we got a former Tranmere goalkeeper as our coach? and what qualifications has a championship / league one goalkeeper like that got before coming to us and taking over that role? 

• Upvote 1

You're trying to talk sense to a fucking idiot mate. 

As the ball's crossed and approaches he actually runs forward toward his near post as well leaving the rest of the goal to aim for.  Terrible keeper.  I'd rather see Brad Jones in goal than this charlatan at least you could forgive Jones for being shit given the money he cost.

We arrive at the end game.

• Upvote 1

What we need to do is look beyond Mignolet and say why have our goalkeepers gone to shit since Xavi Valero left? Why have we got a former Tranmere goalkeeper as our coach? and what qualifications has a championship / league one goalkeeper like that got before coming to us and taking over that role?

What massive club did Xavi Valero play for then?

What massive club did Xavi Valero play for then?

Some of the best coaches in all sports never made it to the top (or anywhere near) in their particular sport. Conversely, some of the top players \ sportsmen fail when they attempt coaching or managing.

That's not to say an ex Tranmere player \ coach cannot be a top coach in his own right. I just think the current GK coach isnt improving the first choice keeper, just like the defensive coach (if we have one!) isnt improving the defence.

That should be the criteria not, whether they played for Barcelona or Yeovil.

You're trying to talk sense to a fucking idiot mate. 

As the ball's crossed and approaches he actually runs forward toward his near post as well leaving the rest of the goal to aim for.  Terrible keeper.  I'd rather see Brad Jones in goal than this charlatan at least you could forgive Jones for being shit given the money he cost.

Hahaha J-O-K-E.

I can just see your posts about Jones' performances. And I dont need to be a fucking mind reader to know (not that you got a fucking brain cell to 'read').

Hahaha J-O-K-E.

I can just see your posts about Jones' performances. And I dont need to be a fucking mind reader to know (not that you got a fucking brain cell to 'read').

and yet you cant see that Mig should have palmed it instead of clawing it, selective blindness i presume.

• Upvote 1

That's completely beside the point you were wrongly making.

How is it beside the point i was making? i even said it in the post you take umbrage with, look...

and what qualifications has a championship / league one goalkeeper like that got before coming to us and taking over that role? 

You asked me what qualifications Valero had and i told you, but when the question is thrown back "What qualifications does John Achterberg have?" you can't respond moof, because he doesn't have any.

I'd expect a club of this stature to work on one of two principles, either

1. You've been a former top class goalkeeper yourself or

2. you have the highest level accreditations academically for the post.

But John Achterberg has neither, he was not a top level goalkeeper and he doesn't have anything academically to warrant taking on the role, so why is he here? probably close to what BCM said, because he's local. But when you've got keepers taking a nosedive in form one after the other you have to question who's behind this, and unfortunately for John it's him. His goalkeeping training sessions are very basic drills as well, i've said it before on here but if you watch the lower level La Liga goalkeeper drills they are radically more advanced than what we are doing here.

Oh and sorry for saying you asked "what are Valero's qualifications", you said "what massive club did Valero play for?" implying he's never played for anyone of note, which is true... but his academic side of things is very high level, whereas Achterberg brings neither a high level playing career or any academic qualifications for the position to the equation.

I don't give a flying fuck about qualifications. Sam Allardyce has the same management qualifications as Jose mourinho. It means fuck all.

You implied JA can't be a decent coach because he never played at a decent level. Which is clearly bollocks because Valero played at an even lower level and he's an excellent coach.

I don't give a flying fuck about qualifications. Sam Allardyce has the same management qualifications as Jose mourinho. It means fuck all.

You implied JA can't be a decent coach because he never played at a decent level. Which is clearly bollocks because Valero played at an even lower level and he's an excellent coach.

Valero's an excellent coach because he's studied at the highest level and received the highest accreditation in his field (goalkeeper coaching) plus he was just a good goalkeeping coach as evidenced by Reina's performances under him and Reina / Torres etc talking about how good he was.

Achterberg has a shit playing career, no academic accreditations to back him up and most of all the performances of our goalkeepers have been dogshit since he took over, are we going to argue that the goalkeeping performances since Achterberg took over have been anything other than terrible? i think we can both agree on that surely.

I'm not arguing against that point, achterberg is clearly shit. He's not local either, he's Dutch.

How the fuck do you know he doesn't have any qualifications, though? Why would the club just hire a random bloke who has never been associated with us, has no coaching qualifications and no discernible career?

Achterberg is shit because he's shit. It's that simple.

When we first got Achterberg in was he the main keeping coach or did he become the main keeping coach when others left?

Rafa brought him in to coach the reserves and youth.

Both his and Valero's CVs are on the internet. The contrast sums up the english and spanish approach to football.