You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

Best thing for Mig is to get out of Achterbollox clutches surely?

At his age, he has time to restore his reputation away from Anfield.

Maybe at some point, the common factor in our keeper woes will drop in to someones brain.

Dont expect miracles from the next poor sod we sign.

Not after 6 months anyway.

Mignolet ever had a reputation?
  • Upvote 1

Mignolet was better for Sunderland than us. All our keepers have got appreciably worse under Achterberg. It's a hell of a coincidence.

Don't really buy into that myself if we had Courtiois or DeGea they wouldn't just stop saving basic shots because of Acherberg.

Mignolet wasn't good enough when when signed him same as Brad Jones and Bogdan and from the little I've seen of him Karius.

You can't polish a turd we've just bought really really really shit keepers since Reina.

The Achterberg thing surely has some merit to it. He joined the club in summer 2009 and worked with the academy, getting promoted to first team goalkeeping coach in summer 2011. The goalkeepers in our first team squad since he stepped up include Reina, Jones, Doni, Gulacsi, Mignolet, Bogdan, Ward, Karius and Manninger, none of whom have actually improved under his watch. They've either stayed at their previous level (which wasn't top class to begin with) or gone downhill, and in the case of Reina (who at one point would have been a shoe-in for the Spain side were it not for Casillas), definitely tailed of in the years he was working under Achterberg. Gulacsi and Ward have managed an improvement in recent years but they did so by playing at other clubs.

I've read a fair bit about the high esteem in which Achterberg is held by players and coaches alike so I'm not going to say he is completely useless. I'm certain he knows more about how to coach goalkeepers than I do, and his influence and input might actually be beneficial in ways that us fans don't get to see. It may be a case that his preparation of our goalkeepers is more than adequate to do well at most clubs but also that it doesn't correlate at all with what our team have to deal with on a typical matchday. What we end up doing is highlighting the flaws of the goalkeeper and the defensive structure itself.

Sure, the quality of the goalkeepers and defenders is a key factor as to their effectiveness, but even mediocre players can be made to look good with the right coaching masking their flaws if not completely eliminating them. You can imply improvement thanks to the coaching when that happens, but it has NOT happened with our goalkeeping options.

The Achterberg thing surely has some merit to it. He joined the club in summer 2009 and worked with the academy, getting promoted to first team goalkeeping coach in summer 2011. The goalkeepers in our first team squad since he stepped up include Reina, Jones, Doni, Gulacsi, Mignolet, Bogdan, Ward, Karius and Manninger, none of whom have actually improved under his watch.

When did FSG arrive and start purchasing new goalkeepers?

I wonder if rather than Mingolet being dropped as most seem to believe, Klopp at the beginning of the season decided that Mingolet is on league game duty for the first half of the season, and Karius on Cup games, then switching over in January and that was the plan all along.

Really gets the noggin joggin'

I wonder if rather than Mingolet being dropped as most seem to believe, Klopp at the beginning of the season decided that Mingolet is on league game duty for the first half of the season, and Karius on Cup games, then switching over in January and that was the plan all along.

Really gets the noggin joggin'

I think Jurgen intended to start the season with Karius as his preferred choice but the broken hand in pre season threw his plans out. Then he dropped Mignolet and promoted Karius when he could after a Mignolet mistake maybes.