You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

Klopps comments on Ward are interesting.

Jürgen Klopp, the Liverpool manager, has insisted that he would prefer not to buy a new goalkeeper this summer having entrusted Loris Karius with a starting spot. Karius replaced Simon Mignolet in Klopp’s line-up for last weekend’s 4-3 victory over league leaders Manchester City at Anfield and will retain his place on Monday night, when Liverpool travel to play Swansea City.

The 24-year-old’s performance on Sunday was met with criticism though, particularly for his failure to stop Leroy Sané’s near-post equaliser at the end of the first half to make the score 1-1.

Karius, who signed from Mainz in the summer of 2016, arrived as Liverpool’s No 1 but lost his place the following December after several costly errors caused Klopp to turn back to the equally-erratic Mignolet.

The failure of either player to perform consistently has led to speculation that a new goalkeeper may be signed in the summer, with Atletico Madrid’s Jan Oblak and Roma’s Alisson both linked.

However, the Liverpool manager said on Friday cast doubt on whether a new ‘keeper is the answer and claimed that he would prefer it if the players he currently has at his disposal simply improved.

“My favourite solution, always, is that we do it with our boys,” Klopp said. “They deliver, they improve. The problem they have is that everyone is watching them [through a magnifying glass] and saying “still not good enough!” 

“I will only mention one name. Everyone talks about him with us and that is [stoke City’s Jack] Butland. I only saw the game [against Manchester United on Monday]. Fantastic goalkeeper but was he perfect? No. He wasn’t in that game. But everyone says “still better than our boys!” 

“It makes no real sense if he comes in and makes a mistake in his first game. Everyone then says: ‘We need another and another one and another one.’ We have to cool down.”

Klopp added: “These boys all have big quality. These lads are here and now they have to create a situation where they show it every week. It doesn’t mean they will be free of mistakes for the next 20 years. Nobody can do that.” Karius’ promotion appears to have frustrated Mignolet, who earlier this week told media in his native Belgium that his current situation at Anfield is “not healthy” and suggested that he is considering his long-term future.

“It is not nice for Simon but a big chance for Loris,” Klopp admitted. “[Danny] Ward is still here. He needs to do a lot of things that will make him better but he is here and he is still in our minds. He is a good goalkeeper, he has to be better in the future. 

“We have a good situation – a healthy situation, if you want,” he added, in contrast to Mignolet’s assessment. “It is not a case of ‘get somebody else’. It is ‘get the right solution’ and the right solution is the one that we already have here.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-fc-transfer-news-karius-mignolet-alisson-oblak-jurgen-klopp-a8168926.html

“My favourite solution, always, is that we do it with our boys. They deliver. They improve...”

Perfect quote from the manager. He takes a bit of pressure off the incumbent/s but at the same time he’s saying show us what you can do.

I’ve no doubt that if Karius doesn’t show enough Klopp will get a new keeper. But there’s no point acting like Mourinho with Shaw and sticking the boot in and making your own player a bag of nerves.

Mig has consistently done shit when people kick the ball towards the net. It keeps going in.

I agree, he’s not good enough but at least he’s impacted some matches (positively) he’s featured in. I can’t recall one positive from any game Karius has played in, he might as well not be on the pitch.

• Downvote 1

I agree, he’s not good enough but at least he’s impacted some matches (positively) he’s featured in. I can’t recall one positive from any game Karius has played in, he might as well not be on the pitch.

The keeper situation is terrible, isn’t it. It’s like they rarely ever make a quality save that wins points. Fuck, man.

The keeper situation is terrible, isn’t it. It’s like they rarely ever make a quality save that wins points. Fuck, man.

Yep, absolutely dire. I honestly think if we could get a decent keeper now (pretty much impossible as no one available) we’d have a chance of winning something. As it stands we have fuck all chance as our keepers simply don’t win games for us.

“My favourite solution, always, is that we do it with our boys. They deliver. They improve...”

Perfect quote from the manager. He takes a bit of pressure off the incumbent/s but at the same time he’s saying show us what you can do.

I’ve no doubt that if Karius doesn’t show enough Klopp will get a new keeper. But there’s no point acting like Mourinho with Shaw and sticking the boot in and making your own player a bag of nerves.

I think Jurgen is also hoping this helps to stop potential selling clubs of goalkeepers we may be linked with trying to vastly over inflate any transfer fees. He's not going to tell the whole world who or if he is buying anybody anyhow. He's already hinted in recent press interviews that he's said too much in the past and its come back to bite us in the arse.

• Upvote 1

Jurgen’s comments on Ward make me wonder whether he has a future here. “He needs to do a lot of things that will make him better...”

Maybe the future will be a commanding new no.1 and Karius as no.2?

Despite him helping Huddersfield to promotion Ward didn't rip up any trees doing it,it appears. I thought he did ok v Leicester in the LC defeat but he must be useless in training to not get another start in front of the other two.

• Upvote 1

I agree to with Jurgen about training players & it is refreshing to have a manager that doesn't bang on constantly about transfer targets , but sometimes in life employees aren't up to scratch however much help they are given & I think the goalkeeper position has reached that stage and an upgrade is needed to move us forward.

I agree to with Jurgen about training players & it is refreshing to have a manager that doesn't bang on constantly about transfer targets , but sometimes in life employees aren't up to scratch however much help they are given & I think the goalkeeper position has reached that stage and an upgrade is needed to move us forward.

He wouldn't have entertained the Liverpool job if he thought he would be able to buy success,

he would be the at the other end of the East Lancs Rd

Klopp has clearly seen any improvement in Mignolet has gone as far as it can and it is not enough. Hence why he dropped him for Karius. He is clearly given Karius the opportunity to show him he is worthy which is why he has said show me.

As we know Klopp is not a cheque book manager. He wants to improve players while not destroying them if they do not measure up. If Karius does not measure in in the rest of the season I am pretty sure he will be in the market.

• Upvote 1