You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

Surely if a player shoots too high it is because they've executed the shot badly, not because of Mignolet's starting position.

You are right, but what I am saying is that Mign's low starting position encourages them to shoot high, with a higher likelihood of missing the target than if they shoot low, because it is more difficult to get the height just right, like Jagielka did. If some anorak would bring together all his one-on-one's and compare how many shoot high and miss, I'd be interested. Of course, it is a shame Ba didn't get lured into trying to shoot high..

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Mignolet is doing loads wrong at the moment - his weaknesses getting weaker - but it would be exceptionally harsh to blame that goal on him.

• Upvote 1

You are right, but what I am saying is that Mign's low starting position encourages them to shoot high, with a higher likelihood of missing the target than if they shoot low, because it is more difficult to get the height just right, like Jagielka did. If some anorak would bring together all his one-on-one's and compare how many shoot high and miss, I'd be interested. Of course, it is a shame Ba didn't get lured into trying to shoot high..

I see you're point but you wouldn't think it would be a factor for shots from 25 yards out, I guess that's the point Neville is making.  I don't know whether he's right or not but I find the analysis interesting and certainly not ridiculous.  Maybe Mignolet gets better spring from his crouched position but at the expense of speed as he has more distance to cover. 

I see you're point but you wouldn't think it would be a factor for shots from 25 yards out, I guess that's the point Neville is making.  I don't know whether he's right or not but I find the analysis interesting and certainly not ridiculous.  Maybe Mignolet gets better spring from his crouched position but at the expense of speed as he has more distance to cover. 

yes, he could be right. I amjust suspicious when that kind of thing comes from one of them. Last thing we want is a nervous wreck of a goalie.

Neville's "analysis" is about as useful as Youtube videos of unheard of players. It is so selective!

Now we know Mign crouches down, but how many times has it caused someone to shoot high and over, eh? For a striker the hardest thing is to hit it high, but under the bar. Mign almost got to Jagielka's shot even with his low starting point, but it was in the one position that meant a goal -- hit the underside of the bar and in.

And he praises Neuer, who is admittedly an excellent goalie, but if you watch Neuer, he is like the Balotelli of goalkeepers -- his body position is nearly always extremely casual and looks inattentively. However, unlike our 24 year old going on 13, Neuer's body doesn't seem to reflect his very focused mind -- that guy oozes confidence and shows why with his performance. If only our no. 49 could do that.

Bit harsh on Jordan Williams that. 

He's not the best we've ever had but it seems we are focussed on him because he is the last place the ball ends up. A lot of the problems start further up the pitch.

It's because he cannot command his box, instills uncertainty in the defence, is poor in distribution and concedes soft goals.

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He's not the best we've ever had but it seems we are focussed on him because he is the last place the ball ends up. A lot of the problems start further up the pitch.

It's all about him, apparently. If we had a different keeper, like magic everything would change.

• Upvote 1

Id kind of agree with this. Our keeper coach is fucking ancient. I just wonder what type of coaching mignolet is getting because he isnt really improving from what I can see.

Last season errors can be put down to settling in and that type of shit and Im not certain all the goals we've conceeded can be blamed on him.

He is in the crosshairs of many fans and his refusal to come for an easy ball in the derby hasnt endeared him to them. Needs some massive point saving performances otherwise valdes if he proves his fitness will certainly become rodgers' number one. How he'll stand up to the rigours of the PL with our defence will certainly be a matter of conjecture.

Reina in his prime was the only decent keeper we've had since Grobbelaar and our best since Clemence. It really is a cursed position for us. 

Dudek wasnt too bad to be fair, number 5 and all that......

But generally speaking, and long term, then yes to the above, Minge isnt good enough all round.

It's so simple. 

Mon - kicking and punching

Tues - kicking and punching

Wed - kicking and punching

Thurs - kicking and punching

Fri - kicking and punching

How fucking hard is it? Just get a football machine to pump balls into the box all fucking day and make the scaredy cat punch them until he's good at it. Also electrocute his boots and give him a non-life threatening but bollock shrinking shock every time he gets it wrong. A combination of this and my duct tape method described earlier should produce dramatic results. 

• Upvote 1