You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

Mignolet is a lot like Lovren .... a decent player prone to mistakes and therefore just not good enough to start for us.

Karius oth is absolutely phucking horrible ...he doesn't seem to have even the most basic idea of what goalkeeping is all about and it shows plainly. And, since he was given a run at the start of the season and then dropped til now, there has been no discernible improvement. So what the phuck Klopp is hoping will be different between now and May is beyond me.

Karius may come good one day but he shouldn't be entrusted with our hopes for silverware this season. We need to either buy a proper keeper in this window or ride it out with Mignolet til May.

You can say 'Fuck' you won't get shot.

Achterberg is in desperate need of sacking or getting rid of Mig and Karius wouldn't really matter.

He takes over first team duties in 2011 and we watch Reina's game fall apart.  We buy Mignolet after an absolutely brilliant season, and he promptly turns to shit.  We buy Karius after a brilliant season, and he forgets how to play GK.

Common denominator is fucking Achterberg.

• Upvote 1

Achterberg is in desperate need of sacking or getting rid of Mig and Karius wouldn't really matter.

He takes over first team duties in 2011 and we watch Reina's game fall apart.  We buy Mignolet after an absolutely brilliant season, and he promptly turns to shit.  We buy Karius after a brilliant season, and he forgets how to play GK.

Common denominator is fucking Achterberg.

Do you think that Acherterg coached Mig not to punch that shot at Arsenal or Karius to let that one in at his near post on Sunday ....? They're just not good enough and asking any coach to improve them is like giving someone a basket to carry water.

Just ain't happening .....

Do you think that Acherterg coached Mig not to punch that shot at Arsenal or Karius to let that one in at his near post on Sunday ....? They're just not good enough and asking any coach to improve them is like giving someone a basket to carry water.

Isn't a GK coach supposed to spot mistakes and help rectify them? He's been fucking them up for years,even the odd good keeper we've had.

He takes over first team duties in 2011 and we watch Reina's game fall apart. We buy Mignolet after an absolutely brilliant season, and he promptly turns to shit. We buy Karius after a brilliant season, and he forgets how to play GK.

That could also be a factor of the transfer strategy. Isn't there a high chance that a single good season is an outlier when you buy inexperience?

He's been working with Mignolet for 5 fucking years.  5 years.  You don't think Mignolet, brought in at 25/26 years old, should have become a better keeper under his training?  I absolutely expect a fairly well rated keeper, coming off his best season, should come here and AT LEAST perform to a similar level.  He's played 155 games for Liverpool, and I'll be damned if he's looked a single iota better than his first game, with regularity.

That, in my opinion, is Achterberg's job.  Helping make a keeper better than when he was brought into the club.  What do you think the first team goalkeeping coach should be doing? Teaching him to knit?

As for Karius, he had all the big paws on a puppy, and played brilliantly at Mainz.  His fellow players voted him the second best keeper in the bundesliga for that season.  He barely looks like a goalkeeper here.  How the fuck does that happen?

You gotta lay a considerable amount of blame at the feet of Achterberg.  He's taking young keepers, and not making them better.  I'd argue that they're worse than before we bought them, but I'm not authority on goalkeeping.

• Upvote 3

That could also be a factor of the transfer strategy. Isn't there a high chance that a single good season is an outlier when you buy inexperience?

For someone like Karius, it was a clear progression.  Stole the starting shirt.  Solidified himself as the starter, and then developed into one of the premier keepers in the Bundesliga.  He's very young, so he can hardly have a huge sample size to consider.  We got him at what? 23?

If he continued his play at Mainz, and then moved to a slightly larger club, and had a good season there.  We'd be looking at 20m+ price tag and not the 5m we paid.

He's been working with Mignolet for 5 fucking years.  5 years.  You don't think Mignolet, brought in at 25/26 years old, should have become a better keeper under his training?  I absolutely expect a fairly well rated keeper, coming off his best season, should come here and AT LEAST perform to a similar level.  He's played 155 games for Liverpool, and I'll be damned if he's looked a single iota better than his first game, with regularity.

That, in my opinion, is Achterberg's job.  Helping make a keeper better than when he was brought into the club.  What do you think the first team goalkeeping coach should be doing? Teaching him to knit?

As for Karius, he had all the big paws on a puppy, and played brilliantly at Mainz.  His fellow players voted him the second best keeper in the bundesliga for that season.  He barely looks like a goalkeeper here.  How the fuck does that happen?

You gotta lay a considerable amount of blame at the feet of Achterberg.  He's taking young keepers, and not making them better.  I'd argue that they're worse than before we bought them, but I'm not authority on goalkeeping.

You think that Achterberg is teaching our keepers to let in goals at the near post or miss balls hit directly at them ....?

A good keeper at Sunderland or Mainz is not necessarily a good keeper at Liverpool. Our history is filled with players who were boss at other clubs but could not make the grade at Anfield ...why should it be different for a goalkeeper?

If the argument is that they've not improved then yes, the coach can be responsible for that ....although there are times when not even Walt Disney can turn a duck into a swan. But neither Mignolet or Karius, especially Karius, have looked near as good as before they came here.

So Achterberg would have to be responsible for making them worse keepers according to your logic ....?

And he's been at the club since 2011 during which time neither Kenny, Rodgers nor Klopp have been able to suss out that he's the reason our keepers are rubbish ....?

Sorry but that makes no sense to me.

• Upvote 2

Actherberg is toast in the summer. Can't see any scenario that has him still employed come August. Klopp said something a few weeks back that I read as Actherberg had the authority on which keeper starts. Klopp has clearly lost patience with his choice, the Bundesliga has provided virtually all his backroom staff, I'll be shocked if his replacement his not German.

You think that Achterberg is teaching our keepers to let in goals at the near post or miss balls hit directly at them ....?

A good keeper at Sunderland or Mainz is not necessarily a good keeper at Liverpool. Our history is filled with players who were boss at other clubs but could not make the grade at Anfield ...why should it be different for a goalkeeper?

If the argument is that they've not improved then yes, the coach can be responsible for that ....although there are times when not even Walt Disney can turn a duck into a swan. But neither Mignolet or Karius, especially Karius, have looked near as good as before they came here.

So Achterberg would have to be responsible for making them worse keepers according to your logic ....?

And he's been at the club since 2011 during which time neither Kenny, Rodgers nor Klopp have been able to suss out that he's the reason our keepers are rubbish ....?

Sorry but that makes no sense to me.

The problem is the trend.  Achterberg presided as our first team GK coach under Reina's sharp decline, and has now oversaw two keepers "on the up", to disastrous results.

How can that trend not sweep up Achterberg?

I'm not arsed that Shiteowl, the King, Rodgers, and Klopp have worked with him, and he's not been sacked yet.  Apparently, he's a real workaholic, first guy in and last guy out, kinda worker.  I think that legitimately covers all manner of ills.   Think of those type of guys in your work background, and think about how much leeway they get.

Liverpool FC is not a unique situation.  Keepers move from smaller clubs to bigger clubs with positive results all the time.  Trying to suggest it ISN'T Achterberg because they couldn't make the grade at Liverpool only works in isolation.   This a trend.    Every keeper that has worked with Achterberg fell seriously short of the mark.   Damning, that.

• Upvote 2

The problem is the trend. Achterberg presided as our first team GK coach under Reina's sharp decline, and has now oversaw two keepers "on the up", to disastrous results.

How can that trend not sweep up Achterberg?

I'm not arsed that Shiteowl, the King, Rodgers, and Klopp have worked with him, and he's not been sacked yet. Apparently, he's a real workaholic, first guy in and last guy out, kinda worker. I think that legitimately covers all manner of ills. Think of those type of guys in your work background, and think about how much leeway they get.

Liverpool FC is not a unique situation. Keepers move from smaller clubs to bigger clubs with positive results all the time. Trying to suggest it ISN'T Achterberg because they couldn't make the grade at Liverpool only works in isolation. This a trend. Every keeper that has worked with Achterberg fell seriously short of the mark. Damning, that.

On the other hand, I reckon both Mig and Karius have become loads better at claiming crosses in the last year. Neither of them ever used to come for anything, and Mignolet in particular would flap all over the shop, but they are both reasonably decent at it now.

Neither of them can save a shot though, so yeah, maybe we need to get in a new coach to do that bit.

At best, Achterberg is having no effect and at worst he's turning the keepers to shit.

Even if we don't know exactly what he does in training every day or if he's a well-respected member of the staff, it's hard to believe he still has a job considering how obvious our problems have been at the position. 

• Upvote 1

At best, Achterberg is having no effect and at worst he's turning the keepers to shit.

Even if we don't know exactly what he does in training every day or if he's a well-respected member of the staff, it's hard to believe he still has a job considering how obvious our problems have been at the position. 

This.

Getting a highly rated GK coach from another side is a pretty safe gamble, at this point.

I have heard a couple of keepers question Achterberg coaching lately. Shay Given and another ex lower league keeper on a podcast saying how both our keepers always have their hands low when hetting ready for shots. Both saying its fundamentally wrong and seems to be how we are coaching the keepers.

One was saying how wrong Karius looks since he has been with us his whole game has gone to shit.

If people on the outside are seeing it i don't get why the club isn't

• Upvote 5

I have heard a couple of keepers question Achterberg coaching lately. Shay Given and another ex lower league keeper on a podcast saying how both our keepers always have their hands low when hetting ready for shots. Both saying its fundamentally wrong and seems to be how we are coaching the keepers.

One was saying how wrong Karius looks since he has been with us his whole game has gone to shit.

If people on the outside are seeing it i don't get why the club isn't

My instinct is to trust Klopp but you're absolutely right, it's a weird one.

Obviously from the outside we don't really see what the goalkeeper coach is doing, but it does seem odd that our keepers have consistently gone backwards since Achterberg came in. I'm not sure if it's one of those where Klopp just refuses to see that something's wrong (like he did with Mignolet for so long, or Lovren before him) or whether Klopp actually has full confidence in him and he's actually good but for some other reason we're not seeing it.

The one complaint you could make of Klopp is that he tends to err on the side of being too loyal, and not quite cutthroat enough when it comes to a declining/poor player. It makes one wonder if Achterberg isn't another one of those situations where he really needs to replace him but he's loathe to do it out of some sense of personal loyalty, or whether we're just missing something from not being inside the club.

Wants out

Mignolet opens up on 'unhealthy' situation and admits he's eyeing Liverpool exit

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-goalkeeper-simon-mignolet-says-11858910#ICID=ios_TMNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

I'll tell you what's unhealthy, my heart rate every time this bum's name's on the team sheet.

The blind leading the blind him being a mentor to that other bum we have to put up with.

Negligence that this matter hasn't been dealt with.  It will cost us big time this season.