You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

Ignoring Reina (the early days) our GK recruitment has been appalling for as long as I can remember - the last few years we have had some shockers

Dudek was more than capable.

Reina during Rafas reign was exceptional.

But you're not far wrong. I'm 36 now, and quite frankly besides those 2, the rest have been utter shite. And yes, I include Grobbelar in that. Granted, he was fairly on by the time I remember him.

Lloris, one of the best keepers in world, had a worse game than Mignolet’s against Arsenal FYI.

You know the way sometimes, during a heatwave, the papers will run headlines like "Aberdeen hotter than the Algarve" - that doesn't mean that you should be buying a holiday villa overlooking Union Terrace Gardens.

• Upvote 3

You know the way sometimes, during a heatwave, the papers will run headlines like "Aberdeen hotter than the Algarve" - that doesn't mean that you should be buying a holiday villa overlooking Union Terrace Gardens.

Agreed. When you get a couple of days of heavy rain in Algarve, let’s not panic and sell up just yet... it’s a serviceable holiday destination, something that will tide you over until that dream property in Sydney or Byron Bay becomes available.

• Upvote 2

He's shite. He's far better than karius.

I really don't get this 'Karius is shite' stuff based on one cross that Karius caught and then dropped after crashing into somebody. I actually think he's starting to look confident despite being in and out like a tampax and playing with different defenders all the time. Mignolet is still shite.

• Upvote 1

Karius doesn't seem to have anything he is good at in his goalkeeping. As a young goalie you would expect him to be flexible at the very least thus being a good shot-stopper along the lines of Pickford but he doesn't even seem to have that in his skill-set ( No chance with last night's goal tbf ).

If there is not a major improvement available in January , I would just install Mig for the season and start planning a successor. Would have no problems with Simon being the back-up.

On a side note , don't think Jurgen has been very fair to Danny Ward at all. No idea why he wasn't allowed on loan if Jurgen was going to only ever give him Hokey-Cokey cup games.

• Downvote 1

Martin Keown had a narrative last night that he takes an age to do anything, his mind was made up and he emphasized it at every opportunity. I've seen Karius in the flesh twice and both times I thought he was the exact opposite, decision made to release the ball or leave his box in an instant, maybe made to quick. Last night he got to everything in plenty of time, nothing to panic about at all. Everyone has an opinion I just don't get how ours can be so apart?

• Upvote 1

Martin Keown had a narrative last night that he takes an age to do anything, his mind was made up and he emphasized it at every opportunity. I've seen Karius in the flesh twice and both times I thought he was the exact opposite, decision made to release the ball or leave his box in an instant, maybe made to quick. Last night he got to everything in plenty of time, nothing to panic about at all. Everyone has an opinion I just don't get how ours can be so apart?

To be fair to Keown sometimes he’s both, even when coming for a cross or to sweep up he delays it a split second like he’s second guessing whether he should go for it or not and he’ll only just get there in the nick of time and you can’t say that sometimes when he has the ball on the floor or it’s passed back to him he’ll take an age to kick it, at least once a game he nearly manages to get closed down but at the same time, like you say he’ll catch the ball and release it very quickly forward or to the nearest Centre Back. Neither him or Mignolet are nowhere near good enough, it’s not a knee jerk not that Karius hasn’t been given enough game time it’s just that he’s not good enough either. I think Klopp knows this also.

Since he lost his place last year the only goal I can recall him being responsible for was the free kick in Moscow. It seems to me its partly due to way everyone makes their mind up so quickly and they ain't for changing. If Karius signed last January i honestly think most people would be happy with his performance level.

I'm delighted VVD was so good last night, if he had a mare a high percentage of our support would have written off.

• Upvote 1

I really don't get this 'Karius is shite' stuff based on one cross that Karius caught and then dropped after crashing into somebody. I actually think he's starting to look confident despite being in and out like a tampax and playing with different defenders all the time. Mignolet is still shite.

Totally agree, and with the comments about Keown's predetermination.

Karius is worse than Ming. He’s always on his heels, always slow to react. The way he sets himself is bizarre. Watch their goal from behind the goal. It was a great finish but look at how he sets himself, he gives himself no chance whatsoever. I’m afraid it’s be sick or vomit with keeper number 1 or keeper number 2.

Finally,somebody who I agree with. Karius is young and not a first choice yet,but as understudy to a decent and experienced keeper he would continue to improve immensely. With Mignolet this wont happen as he probably feels hes his equal despite less experience.

VVD made Karius look slow. His decision making is awful and is at best an average keeper for now.

Mig on the other hand is just bang on bad. The Xhaka goal against Arsenal just highlights it.

Strange thing is though he is vocal but I am not sure if he is doing it for the cameras or if he is spouting shit.