You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

From a fan's POV it was mental. There's no getting away from it. Klopp will have his reasons though. He's not doing this for shits and giggles. I like Mignolet but I'm not blinded by his weaknesses. If Klopp thinks Karius will be the number one long term and he needs to do these things to get him up to speed then I trust him. This is the best Liverpool team we've had in a very long time and probably the best attacking team we've had that does not heavily rely on one player.

It's all down to Klopp. We are lucky to have him, warts and all. After the shitfest of this transfer window it's nice to get back to the actual football where the majority of our players are pretty good and combine to be one of the best sides in the country.

To be honest, I don't really trust klopp. What a strange thing to do if he is the number 1. His reasoning, or lack of, doesn't add up.

Maybe it was a reminder to FSG: we're one injury away from our team looking as scary as this. Make sure the money's there for a new keeper as well as a new centre-back and CM you stingy twats.

To be honest, I don't really trust klopp. What a strange thing to do if he is the number 1. His reasoning, or lack of, doesn't add up.

Honestly, what do you expect him to say in public?

Imagine he's noticed Mingolet starting to get a bit complacent in training and he wanted to give him a gentle reminder that he can't take anything for granted? Job done.

What if he thinks Mingolet is a bit soft in the head, and goes to pieces under continuous pressure?

What should he do go on TV and explain to belarus that Mingolet is a soft lad and a bit lazy?

Or should he play the PR game and use competition among the 3 keepers he's got to extract the highest performances he can from them?

• Upvote 1

I assume he just wanted to assure Karius that he is in his thoughts long-term, and will not automatically spend the whole season as a League Cup / FA Cup goalkeeper.

Thought Karius suffered yesterday from wanting to show something and Arsenal's performance never gave him the chance , so he started trying to be too clever. Once he calmed down, lashed it when required and got a few good punches , he was OK.

Honestly, what do you expect him to say in public?

Imagine he's noticed Mingolet starting to get a bit complacent in training and he wanted to give him a gentle reminder that he can't take anything for granted? Job done.

What if he thinks Mingolet is a bit soft in the head, and goes to pieces under continuous pressure?

What should he do go on TV and explain to belarus that Mingolet is a soft lad and a bit lazy?

Or should he play the PR game and use competition among the 3 keepers he's got to extract the highest performances he can from them?

You've taken a bit of criticism towards Klopp a bit personally then? Fair enough.

If he does think he's soft and lazy, he should replace him. That sounds like the sensible thing to do if that's the case. He's had window after window to do it and hasn't.

And how does 100% guaranteeing him his place back for the next game fit into your theory of promoting competition between all 3 keepers? Surely it would have the opposite effect. Mignolet knows he doesn't have to do anything to get back in and Karius knows he's back out irrelevant of his performance.

It's a weird thing to do and a weird reason for doing it. If any other manager came out with some of the stuff klopp does, they'd be fucking lynched. Imagine hodgson, or even Rodgers for that matter, coming out with this. Or saying moving a player positionally means having a new signing.

Karius lingered on the ball a couple of times and Wellbeck nearly got in. Could have been a real egg on the face moment but he got away with it. Apart from that he punched well on a couple of occasions and when he needed to kick it he put it a good ten yards further than Mignolet manages to do with minimal effort.

Hard to know what to make of it all really.

Rumors Napoli are in for Mignolet. If that's the case, we'll have Insigne coming this way then please! Especially if Coutinho is off. And Lemar or Draxler to add some depth to the wide options would be nice. Oh, and let's get VVD over the line.

Might be a busy week. Might be a damp squib. But the Mignolet decision yesterday seems a bit strange. Sometimes we get too forensic with every word the manager says, but did anyone else notice, "if nothing else happens he [Mignolet] will play against Man City..." Or something like that.

If nothing else happens? Like what?

Karius lingered on the ball a couple of times and Wellbeck nearly got in. Could have been a real egg on the face moment but he got away with it. Apart from that he punched well on a couple of occasions and when he needed to kick it he put it a good ten yards further than Mignolet manages to do with minimal effort.

Hard to know what to make of it all really.

Rumors Napoli are in for Mignolet. If that's the case, we'll have Insigne coming this way then please! Especially if Coutinho is off. And Lemar or Draxler to add some depth to the wide options would be nice. Oh, and let's get VVD over the line.

Might be a busy week. Might be a damp squib. But the Mignolet decision yesterday seems a bit strange. Sometimes we get too forensic with every word the manager says, but did anyone else notice, "if nothing else happens he [Mignolet] will play against Man City..." Or something like that.

If nothing else happens? Like what?

I thought karius was a liability yet again and everyone else in the stadium thought that too by the yells telling him to kick it asap instead of fannying about with it. But, as I said, Klopp got away with it this time. I've no problem with him looking at his keepers and rotating them but if mignolet is your 'clear number one,' you rest him for the league and FA Cups and maybe if \ when CL Group qualification is assured, change him then.

To be fair, I havent seen any comments from Klopp about 'if nothing else happens......' in respect of Mignolet. The only reference I read where he made simialr comments was about origi and if signings are made before the deadline, it's likely others may go either on loan or be sold.

You've taken a bit of criticism towards Klopp a bit personally then? Fair enough.

If he does think he's soft and lazy, he should replace him. That sounds like the sensible thing to do if that's the case. He's had window after window to do it and hasn't.

And how does 100% guaranteeing him his place back for the next game fit into your theory of promoting competition between all 3 keepers? Surely it would have the opposite effect. Mignolet knows he doesn't have to do anything to get back in and Karius knows he's back out irrelevant of his performance.

It's a weird thing to do and a weird reason for doing it. If any other manager came out with some of the stuff klopp does, they'd be fucking lynched. Imagine hodgson, or even Rodgers for that matter, coming out with this. Or saying moving a player positionally means having a new signing.

It seems weird to me to, but it seems self-evident that he knows more about getting performances out of players than we do.  So, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt when he does stuff I don't get.

We'd have no players left, if he'd shipped out the players that under-performed at some point or about whom there are doubts.  

I remember reading Vialli's book and he drew attention to the fact that Italians and English see things so differently that so much didn't make sense to him at first.  It took years.

I think it's the same thing with Klopp/Germans.  It's almost like they are in a different timezone.

Does seem like an odd decision from Klopp. I have no idea what he was thinking, but it was probably along the lines of if the front 3 are playing up to par, it doesnt matter who is in goal. Plus,having a new keeper in might have switched on the back 4 four a little more than usual.

At any rate, Mignolet has always sharpened up when put in competition for his spot.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...