You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sakho

Pureblood

Selling Sakho  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be a mistake to sell him?

Well we aren't going to change the way we play and rightly so, given we nearly won the title and scored over 100 goals this season. 

So I'd rather get players who don't make mistakes the way we play.  Which is what Sakho did, as well as passing very well from the back.

So your solution is to replace the rest of the defence and keep Sakho?

• Upvote 1

So your solution is to replace the rest of the defence and keep Sakho?

Get players who suit the system.

Sakho can, Enrique can (he proved it the season before), yes I think we need a RB and CB this summer.  I'd give Mignolet another season to prove his worth.  Flanagan, Skrtel, Ilori, Wisdom can be back ups / options.

As for the argument that "any team could concede that type of goal" (Kolo Toure), then show me another team that makes as many howlers like that as we do.

You can only think of one example, so as many howlers, meaning one?  OK that shouldn't be hard.

Get players who suit the system.

Sakho can, Enrique can (he proved it the season before), yes I think we need a RB and CB this summer. I'd give Mignolet another season to prove his worth. Flanagan, Skrtel, Ilori, Wisdom can be back ups / options.

Spot on mate.

I said on the transfer page, we need players who suit the system rather than a big name. The way were set up and the way a Rodgers team plays, the whole is greater than the individual, another cb with similar strengths to Sakho and a rb who has similar strengths to Enrique and I think we'd eradicate the majority of our "lapses".

It's like US politics on here, ffs.

As one of those who commented on his passing technique, I'm not slagging him off.

I don't get Alan Smith doing commentary, and if I did, my guess is I'd assume everything he said was bullshit as a default position.

I think Sakho is a fine player. I think he should be in the starting line-up.

I just noted that he could expand his passing repertoire.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Someone on youtube needs to do a video of Sakho's passing so show it is not limited.

Yeah. Quick boffins.

You can only think of one example, so as many howlers, meaning one?  OK that shouldn't be hard.

I'm not trawling through all of our goals and even if I did you would disagree with my views as yours are entrenched.  Crystal Palace 2nd goal and Gerrard slip, there's two more which might not happen if we weren't playing all out attack.  And while we're at it you can throw in Willian's. Maybe even Crystal Palace's first if Lucas is told to get goal side instead of supporting the attack.  Over committing players forward and leaving defenders one v one with quick attackers is as much to blame.  But all you're concerned about it is who to single out and blame for each and every goal.  

I'm not trawling through all of our goals and even if I did you would disagree with my views as yours are entrenched.  Crystal Palace 2nd goal and Gerrard slip, there's two more which might not happen if we weren't playing all out attack.  And while we're at it you can throw in Willian's. Maybe even Crystal Palace's first if Lucas is told to get goal side instead of supporting the attack.  Over committing players forward and leaving defenders one v one with quick attackers is as much to blame.  But all you're concerned about it is who to single out and blame for each and every goal.  

I think your examples are all debatable and there are hardly any.  Out of the 50+ goals we conceded this season, it would be extremely minimal.

But individual mistakes there have been loads and would be a massive percentage and one which I think could be reduced with the right personnel.

You are saying we should change our approach we got us over 100 goals and second in the league, trying to get the best out of Agger etc.

I'd rather play the ones that can cope in this system and buy others that can do the same.

I think your examples are all debatable and there are hardly any.  Out of the 50+ goals we conceded this season, it would be extremely minimal.

I know that's what you think, that's why I can't be bothered to trawl through all of them.  You're not open to any other views apart from your own. 

If it's players who don't make errors in defensive positions you want then maybe move Gerrard out of DM?  

I know that's what you think, that's why I can't be bothered to trawl through all of them.  You're not open to any other views apart from your own. 

If it's players who don't make errors in defensive positions you want then maybe move Gerrard out of DM?  

I often change my opinion on here, but you have not given me reason to do so in the case.

I'm not trying to change your opinion. 

Sound.

and to answer your question above, I think Gerrard is worth the rare error given what he offers the side.  But if he could cut them out then that would help as well.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

LFD, you won the argument about two pages back, mate. The 'can't be bothered' nonsense is a cry for help. Let him get on with his world of make believe.

• Downvote 1

As for the argument that "any team could concede that type of goal" (Kolo Toure), then show me another team that makes as many howlers like that as we do.

If you break down the main partnerships' performances this year:

Skrtel-Sakho: 17 starts, 26 goals allowed = 1.53 g/g (1 clean sheet)

Skrtel-Agger: 12 starts, 12 goals allowed = 1.00 g/g (6 clean sheets)

Skrtel-Toure: 7 starts, 12 goals allowed = 1.71 g/g (1 clean sheet)

Agger-Toure: 2 starts, 0 goals allowed = 0 g/g (2 clean sheets)

We allow 50% more goals on avg when Sakho starts instead of Agger, and the clean sheets drop dramatically. If it was a system issue, you wouldn't expect that sort of difference by substituting at that one position.

I actually rate Sakho and I'm excited about him being a major force for us for many years to come. But I think almost all the shit goals we've let in this year come down to inexperience and lack of chemistry. Toure's two howlers were incredibly stupid, but he's also been on the pitch for 3 shutouts. The "bad" goals we allowed were almost always down to poor marking and not covering for the other CB - and those are communication and organizational issues more than anything. 

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm disappointed that Rodgers has insisted on not playing Agger and Sakho together (maybe I don't understand the left footed issue). Even rotating Agger in as a DM or a second DM would have done a lot to stabilize our defense, especially in those games where we'd given up 2 goal leads and Skrtel and Sakho looked like they were shitting themselves. I also think Sakho would develop a lot better with a more stable presence like Agger next to him.... 

I agree that the chemistry isn't right between Skrtel and Sakho.  Perhaps it will develop over time, as it is still a young partnership?  Agger and Skrtel have played together many times, which might be a factor in those stats.  

There are other variables too and it's a small sample size so I'm not sure how much weight should be given to those stats (or that too many conclusions can be drawn from them).  They are interesting but we need more games to see if there's a real difference, in my opinion.  

I agree that the chemistry isn't right between Skrtel and Sakho.  Perhaps it will develop over time, as it is still a young partnership?  Agger and Skrtel have played together many times, which might be a factor in those stats.  

There are other variables too and it's a small sample size so I'm not sure how much weight should be given to those stats (or that too many conclusions can be drawn from them).  They are interesting but we need more games to see if there's a real difference, in my opinion.  

Totally agree, the stats aren't totally accurate/representative, just thought it'd be interesting to see some numbers. 

• Upvote 1

Personally i think the 3 central defenders we have are good (leaving Toure out of this).

I think the issue is with our defensive coaching. We get caught out quite often (due to our attacking play) but the defensive coach is to play his part in this issue as well and have the right defensive field set to complement our attack.

Saying that we do need a strong character in the back, whether its the keeper or the full back that can control the back.

• Upvote 1

Skrtel-Sakho: 17 starts, 26 goals allowed = 1.53 g/g (1 clean sheet)

Skrtel-Agger: 12 starts, 12 goals allowed = 1.00 g/g (6 clean sheets)

Skrtel-Toure: 7 starts, 12 goals allowed = 1.71 g/g (1 clean sheet)

Agger-Toure: 2 starts, 0 goals allowed = 0 g/g (2 clean sheets)

These stats are bullshit, because as we all know:

* Agger costs us too many goals

* Sakho hasn't made any mistakes that directly has lead to a goal

• Upvote 2