You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sakho

Pureblood

Selling Sakho  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be a mistake to sell him?

Klavan was clearly meant to be his replacement which is ridiculous considering it seems Klopp prefers Lucas ahead of him. I think Klopp's thought process was that he didn't want to get someone who was good enough to take playing time off Joe Gomez so he just decided to get a cheap, short-term option.

2m loan fee and covering 100k wages is not too shabby. We'll get between 15m-20m at the end of the season. Not bad for a 6th choice centre back.

We'll be lucky to get 10. He's damaged goods and no one outside England is going to give us decent money for him. I suspect a loan abroad is more likely than anything else

I don't think so. Matip was signed in January.

On a pre-contract though, he only joined in the summer, which points to us planning ahead. You can sign a replacement before you get rid of a player. If anything, it's what we should've been doing for years, as we've tended to wait until someone's either for the knacker's yard or poached before looking for a replacement. 

Sakho and Skrtel were replaced by Matip and Klavan. Alongside Lovren, that's our primary three CBs, with Gomez as the young understudy and Lucas as emergency cover. I'm not sure we were ever looking to add a sixth CB.

Matip was signed before Sakho's troubles started. Matip plays on the right, which to me also indicates he wasn't a replacement for Sakho.

But that assumes that Klopp only wanted to replace Sakho because of the publicised incidents. It could be that he had other reasons.

Yes, Matip plays on the right, but we were often using Sakho and Lovren as a pairing, and both are naturally LCBs, so it seems logical that we'd replace the lesser rated player with a proper RCB i.e. Matip.

But Lovren's supposedly next in line for a new contract, whilst Sakho's being pushed out the door. It seems pretty clear Klopp rates one and not the other, so that seems the simplest indicator as to who Matip is replacing to me.

Yes Klopp giving Mignolet and Lovren new deals is concerning.

If anything, Matip was signed to partner Sakho, to bad he fell out of favor with the manager and that car crash Lovren is automatic starter. 

Was he? I thought Klopp signed him as an improvement over both and so he'd also have 3 from 2 to pick for each game. However, one sorted the issue out for him as to which ones played and which one didnt.

• 2 weeks later...

Sakho is alright but never one that fills you with confidence, dwelling too long on the ball and making too many errors. Another Lovren for me. We need to pair Gomez with Matip eventually and ease out Lovren. I read somewhere about this highly regarded Swedish young lad who is coming on very well in the reserves. He may not be ready for the first team yet but  could be an option off the bench, if we're not buying another CB in the summer.