You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sakho

Pureblood

Selling Sakho  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be a mistake to sell him?

We did that with Klavan, and whilst solid he's not quite good enough to start for us. I think we need to stop trying to get value and get the best player possible for that spot e.g., Van Dijk.

Van Dijk is overrated and at southampton's supposedly £50m, massively overpriced as well.

• Upvote 1

Van Dijk is overrated and at southampton's supposedly £50m, massively overpriced as well.

Say we value Sakho at £10m, £40m plus Sakho (in whom they're rumored to be interested in) wouldn't be too bad for the best CB in the league I wouldn't have thought...

Say we value Sakho at £10m, £40m plus Sakho (in whom they're rumored to be interested in) wouldn't be too bad for the best CB in the league I wouldn't have thought...

He's still massively overpriced at £40m. And you're convince van dijk is better than Matip!?

I dont recall anyone calling van dijk the best cb in the league last season. It appears he's best in the league after not many more league games this season than matip but each to their own.

Van Dijk's being talked up by southampton for 50m quid. In today's market, Id say he's worth £25m tops.

In a world Benteke goes twice in two years for £60ml,Draxler goes for 35/40ml i dont think 40ml is that out of what you'd pay in England. What did we pay for Lovren 3 years back,new tv deal increase its about expected

van Dijk was good last year.

We could probably get that Jonathan Tah for 25m

Exactly.  Or Sule.

Not a chance Klopp would be interested in van Dijk when there are players just as good who are half the price.  Maybe back when the rumour was Southampton would sell him for 25-30m, but definitely not at double that.  Southampton are going to absolutely rinse whoever they sell him to, so that puts us out the running - he will go to City, Chelsea, or United.

I know I was mocked for this last time but I still think we'll get very close to the 18m we paid for Sakho when he goes.  Add on another 10m and we could get Tah.  That would give us Matip and Lovren as the two players in their prime, Klavan as the experienced backup, and Gomez and Tah as the centre back pairing of the future to develop.

We would probably start Matip and Tah, but it'd be close and there would be a lot of healthy competition.

It isn't even close. Last season, Alderweireld committed just 9 fouls. For comparison's sake, Van Dijk had 28 and Koscielny had 31.

Alderweireld is incredibly good.

Lols.. John Stones commits less foul per game than any other defender in the league. Best defender in the league?

• Downvote 2

The way he runs and the way he looks on the ball always has me worried. I don't think it would be a mistake to sell him as it seems like KLOPP doesn't like him. I only want players around that KLOPP likes.

The way he defends always has me worried. Compare how Lovren and Matip handled Watford's forwards earlier in the season to when they destroyed Sakho and Skrtel last year.

• Upvote 1

Lovren gets "destroyed" far more often than Sakho ever did.

Lovren had a terrible start to his tenure with us, but has improved a lot especially since Klopp took over. Lovren at the moment is better than Sakho ever was for us.

We tried very hard to flog him off last summer but no one wanted anything to do with him. Deschamps could've selected him for the Euro 16 squad once they cleared him off the charges, but he chose an uncapped defender instead. He's no good Sakho, not as a footballer.

Lovren had a terrible start to his tenure with us, but has improved a lot especially since Klopp took over. Lovren at the moment is better than Sakho ever was for us.

We tried very hard to flog him off last summer but no one wanted anything to do with him. Deschamps could've selected him for the Euro 16 squad once they cleared him off the charges, but he chose an uncapped defender instead. He's no good Sakho, not as a footballer.

Lovren has improved from probably the worst defender in the league bar none, to an average defender. He periodically looks up to the job depending on who his partner is, but individually he's mid-table level and has proven that over the past 3 seasons. 

How someone could rate Lovren but say Sakho is no good is beyond me. On the whole, they are both average defenders with the caveat that they both have the tendency to make dreadful mistakes. The difference is that Sakho's top level is higher than Lovren's and then also there is the fact that Sakho was never ever as putrid over an entire season as Lovren was in 14/15.

• Upvote 1