You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sakho

Pureblood

Selling Sakho  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be a mistake to sell him?

I just found it baffling that many posters here whose opinion on football matters I think highly of e.g., Sugar Ape (wherever he is), rate him as the dogs bollocks. Compared to our CBs of the not so distant past; Hyypia, Carra, Henchoz, Agger.. he's awful.

Perhaps you could go on and on and on and fucking on about it, forever, so everyone knows that's how you feel?

I just found it baffling that many posters here whose opinion on football matters I think highly of e.g., Sugar Ape (wherever he is), rate him as the dogs bollocks. Compared to our CBs of the not so distant past; Hyypia, Carra, Henchoz, Agger.. he's awful.

Fortunately for most of these players they didn't have to be coached by Brendan Rodgers at all or for very long and in the case of Agger and Carragher, they didn't exactly look good when they did.

What you fail to understand is that in almost every single case, defenders are made to look good by the system. Sakho did not have the luxury of playing in a solid team coached by Houllier and Benitez. In terms of skill level, saying Sakho is "awful" in comparison to the names you mention is simply clueless.  I would have hated to see a prime Carragher or Hyypia in a Brendan Rodgers team. They would have looked like fucking trash.

Sakho is clearly an unprofessional moron but the reason lots rated him was because it was fairly clear to see he had talent.

• Downvote 1

Carragher and Hyypia would've been fine under Rodgers as they were excellent defenders. Far better than Sakho is or has ever been. Ancelotti who I rate as a brilliant manager who's managed some of the best defenders the world has ever seen, benched Sakho the first chance he got and stripped him off his captaincy. It was a stupid 'moneyball' gamble that backfired which unfortunately has become unflushable.

Carragher and Hyypia would've been fine under Rodgers as they were excellent defenders. Far better than Sakho is or has ever been. Ancelotti who I rate as a brilliant manager who's managed some of the best defenders the world has ever seen, benched Sakho the first chance he got and stripped him off his captaincy. It was a stupid 'moneyball' gamble that backfired which unfortunately has become unflushable.

No, they really wouldn't have. I don't care how good they were, it's impossible to look good when your manager completely disregards the defensive side of the game and provides a "structure" where the central defenders aren't being protected. 

John Terry looked like he was a million years old when AVB was Chelsea manager and then he reverted back into one of the best defenders in the league when Mourinho came back and Chelsea won the title. The same sort of decline in performance would have happened if prime Carragher and Hyypia had played under Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

No, they really wouldn't have. I don't care how good they were, it's impossible to look good when your manager completely disregards the defensive side of the game and provides a "structure" where the central defenders aren't being protected.

John Terry looked like he was a million years old when AVB was Chelsea manager and then he reverted back into one of the best defenders in the league when Mourinho came back and Chelsea won the title. The same sort of decline in performance would have happened if prime Carragher and Hyypia had played under Rodgers.

It looks to me like you're implying that as a defender, Sakho is as good as Terry, Hyypia, and Carragher... but for Rodgers and his attitude. I disagree, I think he's a donkey.. Even under Klopp he didn't look very good.. go watch the replay of the game against Watford last season where Ighalo destroyed him.... or the home leg vs Dortmund, where he was at fault for all three goals. As I said earlier, Ancelotti who knows a thing or two about excellent defenders couldn't wait to remove Sakho from his PSG side.

Prime Terry would've been fine under AVB as he was a brilliant defender. You could still judge a player's ability independent of the defensive structure or system e.g., Traore was an awful left back despite Benitez's good defensive structure and protection. Biscan was awful as a centre back despite Houllier's defensive approach. More recently, Matip looks like an excellent defender even when playing alongside two midfielders at the back (in Lucas and Milner), and behind Jordan Henderson only a handful of games into his career as a defensive midfielder.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Pre-season shenanigans, especially coming off the back of the pills affair and being missing for an important final. We'll probably never find out if Sakho said things when Klopp reprimanded him as that isn't Klopp's style. 

Its got to be more than fucking around in preseason surely. He was willing to give him a chance after the pills issue so you would have thought a month ir two in the cold after would have seen him back. He either must have fucked him off with something else or with the second fuck up Klopp just gone full ill make a statement to the rest of the squad.

Anyone notice the line in the mirror about Sturridge

Firmino will play through the pain of a similar injury today. Sounds a line leaked through the club

• Upvote 1

Its got to be more than fucking around in preseason surely. He was willing to give him a chance after the pills issue so you would have thought a month ir two in the cold after would have seen him back. He either must have fucked him off with something else or with the second fuck up Klopp just gone full ill make a statement to the rest of the squad.

Anyone notice the line in the mirror about Sturridge

Firmino will play through the pain of a similar injury today. Sounds a line leaked through the club

I think the comment about Firmino training in a little 'pain' was very telling especially when Klopp also said Sturridge will not be sold 'in January.'

You'd think that, but then he's basically come right out and briefed the entire football world that we're selling Sakho.

I'm not sure Klopp is even capable of playing the usual football doublespeak games.  If there's bad news or something he doesn't want in public, he usually just says nothing at all.  He's not really one for the "he's not for sale" and then 24 hours later he's signing for another club, no matter how sensible that policy can be at certain times.

Too bad about Sakho, really.  Still think he's a top defender.  Someone will be getting a bargain, especially if we let him go for under 15m (which I assume we will, given the situation).

Too bad about Sakho, really.  Still think he's a top defender.  Someone will be getting a bargain, especially if we let him go for under 15m (which I assume we will, given the situation).

True.

I'd hoped that whatever has gone on between him and Klopp would end in Sakho knuckling down and convincing the manager that he has earned his place, at least on the bench.  For whatever reason, that hasn't happened, so he's on his way and we'll need a replacement.

It's not the way I would have liked this to end, but I still trust Klopp's judgement.

Guessing Klopp is having to look at the overall value to us of removing what he views as a detrimental influence within the squad, while laying down a MAAAAAAAR-CAH to anyone else who may get the idea they can set their own rules.

Not much else he can do under the circumstances, it's clear his whole ethos is based on everyone pulling in the same direction within the club, dressing room and fanbase.  Sometimes you can't just pretend everything is fine to give yourself a better hand in negotiations when you sell someone.

Worth more to him to just remove the problem and show everyone who runs the show.

Can we forgive and forget? We don't have the luxury of getting rid of a talented defender like Sakho, certainly not after today's debacle. If it's a choice between Sakho, Lovren, Lucas and Klavan, Sakho wins every time and does so easily. With Matip missing Sakho would have been an ideal replacement.

• Upvote 1