You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Would you take Mascherano back?

tlw content

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I loved the guy to bits, but I don't think he'd be the right signing. I want good players who'll become great players, not once great players who'll fill a hole for a while. Not for 10m anyway.

I don't see it as hypocritical. He refused to play to force through a cheap move.

Xabi had his best season here after we tried to sell him.

Luis spat his dummy but not only did he always play he also had his best season.

As I said earlier, which appears to have been ignored, I understand the reason he and other player wish to move, but there are ways and means. Refusing to play is beyond the pale

I loved the guy to bits, but I don't think he'd be the right signing. I want good players who'll become great players, not once great players who'll fill a hole for a while. Not for 10m anyway.

But £10m doesn't buy you quality anymore. Didn't Chelsea sign Moses for something like that? They're even looking for £20m plus for Lukaku, who admittedly has had a good season, but £20m? There's not much up and coming talent you can get for reasonable money anymore. If we can buy Tommy for less than £10m I'd bite Barca's arm off.

He's missed out on the French World Cup squad so at least he'd be fresher than most.

Indeed, I think he's one of the players Deschamps was referring to along with Nasri and Mexes, when he mentioned bad attitudes to have around the squad "I didn't pick the best 23 individual players, I chose the best group."

M'Villa is a bit of a tit, but that was when he was in France, probably around bad influences.  I think Rodgers could sort that side of him out.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

But £10m doesn't buy you quality anymore. Didn't Chelsea sign Moses for something like that? They're even looking for £20m plus for Lukaku, who admittedly has had a good season, but £20m? There's not much up and coming talent you can get for reasonable money anymore. If we can buy Tommy for less than £10m I'd bite Barca's arm off.

£10m buys quality all the time, mate. Or around that figure. What has happened is that very rich clubs are now paying massive money for okay players. I don't want to mess around with that. For around 10m we got Sturridge and Coutinho. There are players to be had in that position for that much money. We just don't go for them. Porto, Benfica, other sides like that go for them.

£10m buys quality all the time, mate. Or around that figure. What has happened is that very rich clubs are now paying massive money for okay players. I don't want to mess around with that. For around 10m we got Sturridge and Coutinho. There are players to be had in that position for that much money. We just don't go for them. Porto, Benfica, other sides like that go for them.

Even though it seems the likes of Benfica and Porto keep picking up bargains, they also have a lot of third party ownership deals on their players. They also don't have an issue with signing players from South American clubs where third party arrangements are already in place. Not only is third party ownership banned in the Premier League, but trying to negotiate a deal whereby the player's economic rights are placed wholly with the selling club before the player is transferred is extremely difficult as every Tom, Dick and Juan wants a cut.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Even though it seems the likes of Benfica and Porto keep picking up bargains, they also have a lot of third party ownership deals on their players. They also don't have an issue with signing players from South American clubs where third party arrangements are already in place. Not only is third party ownership banned in the Premier League, but trying to negotiate a deal whereby the player's economic rights are placed wholly with the selling club before the player is transferred is extremely difficult as every Tom, Dick and Juan wants a cut.

They were just an example. There have been other quality players for around that fee. Two of our own recently. I'm not saying we should only spend that much on players, God no, I'm just saying you can get quality for that figure. It just seems that certain clubs spend way too much without thinking.

But for every Sturridge and Coutinho, there's an Aspas, Alberto, Coates, Borini, (He does have potential, but could go either way). You could argue that before this season Henderson was in that category so it goes to show that you can buy potential quality, however there's always that risk it can go to shit. That can be said of players for huge amounts (Carroll) but for me Mascherano has experience, knows the club, knows the league and you can expect him to justify £10m and more.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

But for every Sturridge and Coutinho, there's an Aspas, Alberto, Coates, Borini, (He does have potential, but could go either way). You could argue that before this season Henderson was in that category so it goes to show that you can buy potential quality, however there's always that risk it can go to shit. That can be said of players for huge amounts (Carroll) but for me Mascherano has experience, knows the club, knows the league and you can expect him to justify £10m and more.

Not saying anything to counter that, mate. Just that quality can be had for that money. You said that 10m doesn't buy quality anymore. I just think it does. Even splashing out doesn't seem to cut the risk of getting a dud by much. Just need to do the due diligence properly. That's the best way of cutting risk.

Fuck yes i'd have him back. I dont blame Masch one bit for leaving when he did. The way he forced the situation was ugly for sure, but the clubs situation was that of a black fucking hole back then, and he had the chance to join the best team in the world at the time. Im not too read up on the current situation, so to me it sounds a bit like his end is trying to create market for him. He's not the profile of player we've been looking at previously under this ownership.

I can't remember Mascherano refusing to play. When was this? What exactly happened?

Roy said he wanted to test his resolve, but Masch called him the son of an Ebola-riddled monkey ho', spat his werther's original back at him and escaped through the dressing room window then travelled via the boot of an old Morris Minor over to Spain, never to be seen again (sort of).

It's all very hush hush though, so keep it under your hat.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Roy said he wanted to test his resolve, but Masch called him the son of an Ebola-riddled monkey ho', spat his werther's original back at him and escaped through the dressing room window then travelled via the boot of an old Morris Minor over to Spain, never to be seen again (sort of).

I think Roy got away lightly.

It was nothing like that at all

Mascherano was close to playing until two French fellows dug a tunnell thats exist was in the players bath at Cities stadium. The plan was for the whole team to escape until Pepe realised he was too big to get through the whole and said he was going back to play the second half. Mascherano was the only one to survive the massacre that followed.

• Upvote 1