You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Would you take Mascherano back?

tlw content

No.

He'd be back up to Gerrard.  Don't think he'd like the idea of that.

Also is he the right type of player we need for that role now?  Don't think his passing is good enough, especially when looking at what Gerrard offers in that role.

He's had his time with us.  Now we need a different type of player.

I don't think Gerrard will play every single minute of every single game, and I think Rodgers will be a little more pragmatic in some games anyway.

I agree Gerrard won't play every game.  But I think he likes playing that way.  He didn't go more pragmatic last season when we played the bigger sides, don't see why that will change.  Although I think at times we should.

Its not necessarily against the bigger sides that we need to be more pragmatic. I think he was unlikely to change a system/philosophy during a season, especially one in which we were exceeding expectations. He'll realise that next season we probably won't be afforded the space we were at times to counter at pace, as often anyway. With a month (between the World Cup finishing and the league starting) to work on new stuff he may well return, not fully mind, to the "death by football" style we saw when he first came here.

Some games next season, when we're two up, it'll pay to have a more physical presence as the deepest midfielder. And to have periods of the game where we just kill it stone dead. Kill any initiative and momentum the opposition were building.

I'd bring him back to play central defence partnering Agger, gives us the option of finesse versus brute strength Sakho and Skrtel. Obviously if your playing a big physical side you play the latter, but if it's about passing the team to death there isn't many better than them two.

He is one of the finest player of his generation, and for his age, one of the most accomplished Argentinians of all time, with an established track record of performance at the very highest level, a quality lacking in our current squad.

If he is available, and he would come back, he would be a vital upgrade.

If the club had balls back then like it did with Suarez last summer, he wouldn't have gone.

It comes across that some people have a bit of double standards when it comes to Mascher. Suarez wanted to leave last summer. Threw his toys out like Mascher did, except he was told he was staying. Now everybody loves him again.

I don't blame Mascherano for wanting out and forcing the move. I would have wanted out at the time as well.

If we can get him for a reasonable price, get him signed. If he costs more than the reported £9 Mill, then I would be inclined to leave it and pursue other world class targets.

It comes across that some people have a bit of double standards when it comes to Mascher. Suarez wanted to leave last summer. Threw his toys out like Mascher did, except he was told he was staying. Now everybody loves him again.

He didn't refuse to play for us.

True, but he threatened to hand in a transfer request and said he was prepared to take the club to the Premier League to force the move.

Then gave his all for the cause and nearly won us the league.  The last memory I have of Mascherano is him refusing to play and us getting shagged in that very same game.

Then gave his all for the cause and nearly won us the league.  The last memory I have of Mascherano is him refusing to play and us getting shagged in that very same game.

Only because the club had the balls it was missing in 2010.

Let it go Dan, it's in the past.

He's a quality player, he would improve us. It's a no brainer.

Only because the club had the balls it was missing in 2010.

Let it go Dan, it's in the past.

He's a quality player, he would improve us. It's a no brainer.

I know what you're saying, but it's the worst possible thing a player can do.  I'd be seriously pissed off if we took him back, but that's just me.

I remember before the game Andy Gray saying how it was 'refreshing' we were playing a 442 and how it's the way we should be playing. How how he knew this was the way Gerrard wanted to play and how we'd be much more attacking with two strikers under Roy.

Then we got bummed so hard all the Smints in the world couldn't ease the pain.

• Upvote 1